Professional Web Applications Themes

PCI Error - SCO

Hello. I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error: "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00". What I can do ??? Thank's a lot. -- Posted via [url]http://dbforums.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default PCI Error

    Hello.

    I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:

    "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".

    What I can do ???

    Thank's a lot.

    Tingo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PCI Error

    Tingo wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    > I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    > BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:
    >
    > "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".
    >
    > What I can do ???
    >
    > Thank's a lot.
    >
    > --
    I have noticed some PCI cards, like a LAVA single port parallel, cause
    this message with the ML350. Everything works without a problem at
    run time, but I have to remove the card to enter the RBSU.

    Maybe someone else can comment, but there was very limited support
    for dumb PCI serial cards in 5.0.4. Is the card even supported?

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Brown Guest

  3. #3

    Mike Brown wrote:
    > Tingo wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    > > I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    > > BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:
    > >
    > > "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".
    > >
    > > What I can do ???
    >
    > I have noticed some PCI cards, like a LAVA single port parallel, cause
    > this message with the ML350. Everything works without a problem at
    > run time, but I have to remove the card to enter the RBSU.
    >
    > Maybe someone else can comment, but there was very limited support
    > for dumb PCI serial cards in 5.0.4. Is the card even supported?
    OSR504 would not deliberately support such a card. However there are
    two scenarios where it could be made to work anyway.

    One is, some PCI serial cards can be configured to present their ports
    at old ISA addresses like 3F8 (and use the corresponding IRQs). The
    OSR5 driver would see such a port as an old ISA port, and it would work.

    Secondly, `mkdev serial` offers the ability to use one of its standard
    configurations but override the I/O address and IRQ. At least I think
    that's in there. If not, the same can be done by editing the table in
    /etc/conf/pack.d/sio/space.c. The port could be operated by hardwiring
    its I/O address and IRQ into the driver. However, there is a real
    danger that the BIOS may reprogram the address any time anything changes
    in the system.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:51:50 -0400, Tingo <member36514dbforums.com>
    wrote:
    >I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    >I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    >BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:
    >
    > "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".
    >

    >What I can do ???
    SCO Unix doesn't support most modern hardware. If you want to use the
    latest hardware, use one of the *BSD variants or Linux on x86
    hardware. The performance advantages alone are enough, but the fact
    there are far more drivers, and faster development cycles for new
    hardware (and no per-seat licencing) make them obvious choices. They
    also have a brighter future - anyone buying SCO software today is at
    best naive, and at worst reckless...
    Scott Guest

  5. #5

    "Scott" <scotttiktok.demon.c.u.o.t.s.a> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:51:50 -0400, Tingo <member36514dbforums.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    > >I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    > >BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:
    > >
    > > "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".
    > >

    > >What I can do ???
    >
    > SCO Unix doesn't support most modern hardware. If you want to use the
    > latest hardware, use one of the *BSD variants or Linux on x86
    > hardware. The performance advantages alone are enough, but the fact
    > there are far more drivers, and faster development cycles for new
    > hardware (and no per-seat licencing) make them obvious choices. They
    > also have a brighter future - anyone buying SCO software today is at
    > best naive, and at worst reckless...
    Thanks for the insult. But your comment also begs a question .... why are
    you being so reckless and naive to waste your time reading this newsgroup?

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  6. #6

    Scott wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:51:50 -0400, Tingo <member36514dbforums.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server. I have instaled SCO Unix 5.04 and
    > >I wants install a PCI card with two serial port, but when I try enter to
    > >BIOS to see or config the IRQ, appear this error:
    > >
    > > "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI slot 00".
    > >

    > >What I can do ???
    >
    > SCO Unix doesn't support most modern hardware. If you want to use the
    > latest hardware, use one of the *BSD variants or Linux on x86
    > hardware. The performance advantages alone are enough, but the fact
    > there are far more drivers, and faster development cycles for new
    > hardware (and no per-seat licencing) make them obvious choices. They
    > also have a brighter future - anyone buying SCO software today is at
    > best naive, and at worst reckless...
    The error being reported has _nothing_ to do with the install OS, it
    occurs when entering the hardware BIOS ( called Rom Based Setup Utility
    on the ProLiant ).

    Tingo is likely running 5.0.4 because it has been rock solid, has no
    bugs and serves his purpose. Many SCO customers are happy leaving a
    server up and running for years, and are not looking for the latest
    HW support. In this case though, the OS was released before simple
    PCI serial cards were common and may not support the card Tingo is
    using.

    Customers like Tingo have up to a decade of happy experience with SCO,
    and are looking forward to another decade of the same. Support for
    hundreds of network and video cards is not the critical issue in a
    buying decision. As to a brighter future, when a customer has been
    running the same OS for 6 years without a single problem what issue
    are you trying to fix?

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Brown Guest

  7. #7

    Full PCI serial/parallel port support is only available starting with SCO
    5.0.7. You would need to buy the media kit and base Unix 5.07 upgrade
    license. since the base Unix license scheme has changed.

    Y.

    "Tingo" <com> wrote in message

    Yves Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    Scott <demon.c.u.o.t.s.a> wrote: [/ref]

    Well if you are going to compare on that basis the time frame
    for the SCO 5.0.4 needs to be compared with Linux in the 5.x range
    to be accurate. Linux/BSD of that era didn't support modern
    hardware either.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    I ahead this problem on a BL20P G3, i replaced the Smart Array 6i controller and the problem went away
    Unregistered Guest