Professional Web Applications Themes

PCs authenticating with wrong Domain Server - Windows Server

We have recently begun our migration from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to a Windows 2003 domain. We have set up with one forest that includes 3 separate domains. There is one domain in the US, one in Canada and one in Europe. We are putting a domain controller for each domain in each country. By this I mean there will be a domain controller for the European domain in Canada and the US so that when user travel to these location their logon will be much faster. The same rule applies to Canada and the US. Until 2 days ...

  1. #1

    Default PCs authenticating with wrong Domain Server

    We have recently begun our migration from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to a
    Windows 2003 domain. We have set up with one forest that includes 3
    separate domains. There is one domain in the US, one in Canada and one in
    Europe. We are putting a domain controller for each domain in each country.
    By this I mean there will be a domain controller for the European domain in
    Canada and the US so that when user travel to these location their logon
    will be much faster. The same rule applies to Canada and the US.

    Until 2 days ago there was a two way trust between the NT 4.0 domain in
    Europe and the NT 4.0 domain in Canada.

    Recently the administrator in Europe has noticed while looking in the
    netlogon.log file that some (30 or so) of the PCs from Canada appear to be
    authenticating on the domain controller in Europe. There are two sites in
    Canada, one site has 2 domain controllers and the other site has 1 domain
    controller.

    Can anyone shed any light as to why this would be happening?

    Johnny Wright Guest

  2. #2

    Your users will ALWAYS authenticate to whichever DC for
    that domain responds first no matter where the DC is
    located.

    Eric Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: PCs authenticating with wrong Domain Server

    You need to properly configure different Sites in Active Directory Sites and
    Services snap in and associate them with the correct subnets. Each Site also
    needs at least one Global Catalog server, IIRC. Windows will always try to
    contact a DC in the same site before those in others.

    See
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/topics/issues/w2kccadm/adsites/w2kadm37.mspx[/url]
    for a brief overview.

    AndyC

    "Johnny Wright" <lactozhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We have recently begun our migration from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to a
    > Windows 2003 domain. We have set up with one forest that includes 3
    > separate domains. There is one domain in the US, one in Canada and one in
    > Europe. We are putting a domain controller for each domain in each
    country.
    > By this I mean there will be a domain controller for the European domain
    in
    > Canada and the US so that when user travel to these location their logon
    > will be much faster. The same rule applies to Canada and the US.
    >
    > Until 2 days ago there was a two way trust between the NT 4.0 domain in
    > Europe and the NT 4.0 domain in Canada.
    >
    > Recently the administrator in Europe has noticed while looking in the
    > netlogon.log file that some (30 or so) of the PCs from Canada appear to be
    > authenticating on the domain controller in Europe. There are two sites in
    > Canada, one site has 2 domain controllers and the other site has 1 domain
    > controller.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light as to why this would be happening?

    Guest