Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF creation, again!!!!! - SCO

I am posting this request, again!!! I have requirement to be able to create PDF files from with-in my custom application. I had search for possible solutions before and some people had suggested that I use "ghostscript" to do this. I was also told that I should be able to find the "ghostscript" in my OpenServer 5.0.6 CD media kit, on the Skunkware CD. I had tried this and it resulted in a complete crash of my SCO OpenServer server. I was forced to go to my server recovery procedure (which also needed to be tested)! It has now be ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF creation, again!!!!!

    I am posting this request, again!!! I have requirement to be able to
    create PDF files from with-in my custom application. I had search for
    possible solutions before and some people had suggested that I use
    "ghostscript" to do this. I was also told that I should be able to find the
    "ghostscript" in my OpenServer 5.0.6 CD media kit, on the Skunkware CD. I
    had tried this and it resulted in a complete crash of my SCO OpenServer
    server. I was forced to go to my server recovery procedure (which also
    needed to be tested)!

    It has now be several months now and I have created a new SCO server for
    this test. Can someone recommend a PDF creation method (a la Windows Print
    to PDF??). I do not wish to use "ghostscript".

    --
    Yves Leclerc

    Yves Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF creation, again!!!!!

    Yves Leclerc wrote:

    It seems to me there is a perl program called txt2pdf that sounds
    promising. Really I don't know anything about it, but try
    http://www.sanface.com/txt2pdf.html#download

    /dev/null Guest

  3. #3

    > "ghostscript" to do this. I was also told that I should be able to find the

    Well, the Skunkware ghostscript is a bit out of date. Go to www.ghostscript.com,
    get the actual tarball and compile.

    I can't believe this.

    Well, there is e.g. pdflib (www.pdflib.com), which has a nice C API (but
    also bindings to a some other languages like perl,c++,tcl...).

    Walter
    Walter Guest

  4. #4

    "Walter Haslbeck" <de> wrote in message news:<homeunix.net>...

    > Well, the Skunkware ghostscript is a bit out of date. Go to www.ghostscript.com,
    > get the actual tarball and compile.

    > I can't believe this.

    > Well, there is e.g. pdflib (www.pdflib.com), which has a nice C API (but
    > also bindings to a some other languages like perl,c++,tcl...).
    >
    > Walter[/ref]

    I use this PCL to PDf converter, ghostpcl, a spin-off of ghostscript.
    http://www.artifex.com/downloads/

    SCO OpenServer 5 binaries here:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/index.html#ghostpcl

    Converts plain text simply by virtue of plain text being valid pcl
    but also renders most other pcl into equivalent pdf (including
    logo's/overlays)
    basically, if you have something that prints to an hp laserjet or
    compatible, you can print to file and pcl2pdf the file and get a pdf
    version of it. This also means you can take a copy of sco's HPLaserJet
    printer interface script and hack it a little so that it passes
    everything through pcl2pdf and on to mpack or mutt or something to
    make a print-to-email printer that does all the stuff for you.

    It's not perfect. Although some pretty fancy stuff works perfect, some
    pretty common & basic stuff does not. Most notably common pcl that it
    chokes on:

    <esc>(10U ibm character set (aka cp437, aka VGA characters)

    For nice lines & boxes, which on the other hand, you could just draw
    with hpgl commands to get around this limitation

    <esc>&l##P set ## lines per page

    There are other pcl codes that do work that can acheive the same
    result, but this code is very common. for one thing, it's used right
    in the stock HPLaserJet printer interface script in SCO going back I
    don't know how many years.

    I'm using it successfully to allow an application to have
    print/fax/email/web options all working off the same output from the
    app, meaning that the app can be coded a lot simpler by just
    generating 100% pcl instead of having some things that print, some
    things that fax, some things that email, some things that generate web
    pages, and many of those being mostly duplicated effort.

    for "fax" we happen to use vsifax which happens to be able to accept
    pcl, but I beleive ghostpcl could be used to convert to whatever
    hylafax likes (postscript?) You could just use ps as the universal
    output in the first place instead of pcl, but more printers support
    pcl than ps.
    Brian Guest