Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF creation from Tiger - Macromedia Freehand

Okay, one small hiccup... Apple changed the Print menu. You still select Adobe PDF as your printer, but when you go to save the file as a PostScript, that option is gone from the drop-down menu. Now it's in a button at the bottom left of the Print Dialog box called PDF. Click that and you get a menu of several PDF flavors. Click the second one, Save PDF as PostScript. Then it's business as usual by taking the .ps file and running it through Distiller. The new selections are (top to bottom): Save as PDF Save PDF as PostScript ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF creation from Tiger

    Okay, one small hiccup...

    Apple changed the Print menu.

    You still select Adobe PDF as your printer, but when you go to save the file
    as a PostScript, that option is gone from the drop-down menu.

    Now it's in a button at the bottom left of the Print Dialog box called PDF.
    Click that and you get a menu of several PDF flavors. Click the second one,
    Save PDF as PostScript.

    Then it's business as usual by taking the .ps file and running it through
    Distiller.

    The new selections are (top to bottom):
    Save as PDF
    Save PDF as PostScript
    Fax PDF

    Compress PDF
    Encrypt PDF
    Mail PDF
    Save as PDF-X
    Save PDF to iPhoto
    Save PDF to Web Receipts Folder
    Edit Menu

    I guess Apple wants us to use PDF a lot. I haven't had a chance to attempt
    saving a PDF directly from FH yet. I've only tested the one project, and it
    worked as above.

    There's also a new button called "Supplies" which takes you to the Apple
    Store - complete with their 1-800 phone number in the URL! But unless you
    have certain printers from Brother, Canon, Epson, HP, or Lexmark, they don't
    have anything to sell you.

    Ron

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF creation from Tiger

    Ron Rockwell wrote:

    This actually sounds a bit more intuitive than the Panther method.

    So if you want to print separations to a Postscript file, formatting for a
    different printer, does it still honor the FH print settings?

    Did you find any cure for the Show Grid/Snap-to-grid issues?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    I tested a few different ways to work with PDFs. These particular docs
    worked on my setup. Different docs on different machines may have different
    results...

    You still can't use File > Export > PDF. Odd things happen that defy
    description. I get the same results using Print > PDF > Save as PDF.

    Creating a PDF by choosing Adobe PDF as the printer, and clicking the PDF
    button > Save PDF as PostScript works. That action is the end of the line,
    though, so if you want to make any FreeHand adjustments (seps, page size and
    so on) do those actions first.

    Then I chose my Xerox 6400 printer, flopped the negs, changed some of the
    printer marks, and chose Separations. Save PDF as PostScript gave me exactly
    what I expected.

    To be perfectly honest, I never use the grid, and I don't want to be hobbled
    by it if it's invoked, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Okay, I'm a chicken,
    but if it ain't broke on my machine, I ain't gonna fix it!

    One thing of note regarding fonts. One of the docs I used as a test uses a
    font family that's been giving me fits (ITC Franklin Gothic Compressed). It
    wouldn't let me select text and change it from medium to demi by choosing
    the font from the font list. I could only get it by going for the faux bold
    menu. Now it works as it should. I also threw odd fonts like Murray Hill
    Bold into the middle of some body copy, and used a Multiple Master font
    (Graphite) in three different weights. In the past MM fonts had been a
    problem, but they printed fine, were converted to PDF fine, and when I
    converted them to paths they kept their proper weights.

    I notice that programs are slower to open - Entourage especially. FreeHand
    took about double to triple as long to start up. The Excite home page I have
    for Safari only downloads a few graphics and quits, but Firefox does fine.
    There must be a button I have to click somewhere. The new Spotlight search
    feature is really quick - although it took more than 18 hours to itemize my
    hard drives. Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, Acrobat, Word, FreeHand have
    all worked without any glitches. But Font Book has quit functioning in
    FreeHand - probably another button to find.

    Course, it's only Wednesday.

    Ron

    > This actually sounds a bit more intuitive than the Panther method.
    >
    > So if you want to print separations to a Postscript file, formatting for a
    > different printer, does it still honor the FH print settings?
    >
    > Did you find any cure for the Show Grid/Snap-to-grid issues?
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >[/ref]

    Ron Guest

  4. #4

    Ron Rockwell wrote:

    Good. Thanks for checking.

    Well, I do. It's invaluable for rearranging pages with the page tool. I use
    it for other things -- making pattern tiles, floor plans, ensuring objects
    for small web images are exact pixels, etc.

    Chicken! ;-)

    Hmm. Looks like some things regarding font handling have changed for the
    better. If it would solve the font substitution problems when printing, that
    would be great.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Cluck, cluck, cluck.

    Fonts -
    Ooh, yeah, I forgot about that. I just set a glob of type using the bullet
    (created by Option-8) in 8 different fonts.

    Interesting: The Xerox 6200 (I called it a 6400 earlier) printed all as
    bullets except the Times New Roman and TNR Bold versions which came out as
    Yen. But using Save PDF as PostScript gave me solid bullets!

    I only used fonts that I've seen the problem in before.

    I just noticed an increase in speed - Tiger has the Dashboard, and you can
    fill it with time-wasting Widgets or useful Widgets. I'm interested in the
    Saturn, Mars, and Deep Impact comet space missions, and there's a Widget
    that tells you how many kilometers the spacecraft is from the comet
    9P/Tempel 1 (right now it's about 34 million miles away - 60 days). When I
    turned it off, things started moving faster. I guess the little app is
    running even when it's not live.

    Useful Widgets? A dictionary/thesaurus, weather forecast, conversion
    calculator, stock reports, phone book, and my favorite - a dancing hula girl
    doll.

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  6. #6

    Ron Rockwell wrote:

    Anything for the girls to play with? Fashion reports, carb/calorie counters,
    animated muscle-men giving weight-lifting tips?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    On 5/4/05 14:31, in article BE9E711F.2D810%ca, "Judy Arndt"
    <ca> wrote:

    > Anything for the girls to play with? Fashion reports, carb/calorie counters,
    > animated muscle-men giving weight-lifting tips?
    >
    > Judy Arndt[/ref]

    No, but there's a flight tracker so you can tell how much longer you can be
    making trouble before your husband gets home...

    Ron

    Ron Guest