Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF export is mixed vector and raster squares - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have a map created in Illustrator 10. It is a rather big map, in A1 format and it contains over 20,000 objects and also has a raster background image. Many of the objects have effects such as arrows. Now I want to export the map to pdf to publish it on the web. When I just use "Save as" and save it as a pdf, it works quite OK, although it takes a VERY long time to open it in Acrobat, because it seems to be drawing each of the objects in turn. And I do have a quite ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF export is mixed vector and raster squares

    I have a map created in Illustrator 10. It is a rather big map, in A1 format and it contains over 20,000 objects and also has a raster background image. Many of the objects have effects such as arrows. Now I want to export the map to pdf to publish it on the web.

    When I just use "Save as" and save it as a pdf, it works quite OK, although it takes a VERY long time to open it in Acrobat, because it seems to be drawing each of the objects in turn. And I do have a quite fast computer. The result is OK, but it takes looong time to open it, and some of my colleagues cannot open it at all.

    When I print it with Acrobat to a pdf, using "Print", the result loads very quick, just as I want it to, because Acrobat seem to create a multitude of squares that load simultaneously. The whole map is divided into perhaps 100 squares. The problem is just that the graphics in many of these squares have been converted to raster. In most squares (~60%) the graphics are still in vector format, while the rest is in relatively poor resolution raster format. And this is not just an on-screen thing. It is the same when I print the file from Acrobat. I have played around with different settings, but have not been able to locate the problem.

    Why is this? And how do I get it to print all in vector format? Any help is appreciated.

    /Clas
    Clas_Hättestrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF export is mixed vector and raster squares

    Would Object>Flatten Transparency with a setting of 100% vector work?
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Change effect resolution in Effects > Doent Raster Effects Settings.

    But, changing the resolution, while making your map look crisper, will make your PDF larger, too. You didn't say what the file size for the PDF was, but I'll bet it's impressive.

    You are probably using some raster effects like glow or drop shadow. Minimizing these effects will help.

    Perhaps PDF is not the ideal format for what you are doing. See what Save-for-Web, and making a JPEG does.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Flatten to 100% vector worked. It pumped the resulting pdf up from 13 MB to 23 MB, but I guess that will do. I do want it in pdf, because it is a map to be downloaded and printed.

    Thanks!
    Clas_Hättestrand@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Depends who is going to download it and whether it's just for the web or for a commercial printer. 23 mb is beyond what many people can download from a normal website. If it's for the web it's better to print to PDF rather than save to PDF. I find the file a lot smaller.
    Karen_C@adobeforums.com Guest