Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF exporting error - Macromedia Freehand

hi there everyone, maybe someone has some idea why this is happening... when I try and export my freehand doent (containing text, vectors and TIFFs) as a PDF, an alert pops up after attempting to export saying "An error occurred while exporting a PDF. The PDF file may not be valid." it does create a PDF file, but Acrobat tells me that the file is damaged and can not be repaired. any ideas?? ben...

  1. #1

    Default PDF exporting error

    hi there everyone,

    maybe someone has some idea why this is happening... when I try and export my
    freehand doent (containing text, vectors and TIFFs) as a PDF, an alert pops
    up after attempting to export saying "An error occurred while exporting a PDF.
    The PDF file may not be valid." it does create a PDF file, but Acrobat tells
    me that the file is damaged and can not be repaired. any ideas??

    ben

    internben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF exporting error

    internben wrote:

    My first suspect would be fonts. What kinds of fonts are you using, and are
    you embedding them?

    What are your settings in the PDF export options?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    judy, thanks for your response! i really apretiate it..

    i am using Gill Sans and Gill Sans light. my export settings are all default
    except that i chose to embed the fonts. i'll try converting all of the text to
    paths and see if that helps...

    internben Guest

  4. #4

    Not to seem pesimistic here but Freehand has long since had a problem with
    generating PDFs. The message you are getting is the same message that I have
    gotten a gazzillion times over. I have seen numerous other distress messages
    in this forum with the same problem. The best way to fix this is to export to
    eps and have Adobe Acrobat convert the doc.

    Other ways to try and work this problem...

    1. Instead of exporting to PDF have you tried saving to PDF through the print
    dialog box. I have had better results when running the file by printing to PDF
    file.

    2.On a similar note...Tiger give you the option of printing to PDF in the
    print dialog box through what I guess is another channel that the OS handles.
    It is a separate menu at the bottom of the box whenever you go to print.

    Pappy

    Pappy Guest

  5. #5

    Other ways to try and work this problem...

    1. Instead of exporting to PDF have you tried saving to PDF through the print
    dialog box. I have had better results when running the file by printing to PDF
    file.

    thanks pappy!

    i was sucessful in saving to PDF through the print dialog box however.., it
    applies margins to the pdf which "white out" a quarter inch on every side of
    the page. is there any way to adjust or disable the margins for the PDF export
    in the print dialog box? thanks again for your help, it is greatly apretiated!

    internben Guest

  6. #6

    save that puppy to a file using a Virtual Postscript Printer - then distill.

    this will give you lots more page sizes. Choose "print crops" and select page
    size "custom" for the page size.

    I use a digital printing press as the PPD for the virtual printer. You can
    also choose an imagesetter at the PPD - there's some in your printer list
    options I'll bet.

    jamie Guest