Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF file problems (fonts) - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When I create a pdf file from an Illustrator CS file, sometimes the software tells me it cannot find the font (in this case, Century Gothic postscript) although the font has not been moved or removed. Sometimes accented letters do not appear correctly. In general, there seem to be font problems which I don't understand. I do also have Century Gothic truetype on my computer, but not installed in the fonts folder, just stored in a folder. Could that be a problem? It is not listed in my font menus. In the doent in question, the pdf file did not ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF file problems (fonts)

    When I create a pdf file from an Illustrator CS file, sometimes the software tells me it cannot find the font (in this case, Century Gothic postscript) although the font has not been moved or removed. Sometimes accented letters do not appear correctly. In general, there seem to be font problems which I don't understand. I do also have Century Gothic truetype on my computer, but not installed in the fonts folder, just stored in a folder. Could that be a problem? It is not listed in my font menus.

    In the doent in question, the pdf file did not recognize the Century Gothic bold font, although it is a separate postscript font correctly installed. (I have noticed that when I choose CG bold from the font menu, it is not listed as a separate font, just as a bold version of CG. Why?)

    Thanks for your help.
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF file problems (fonts)

    Brooke,
    >>just as a bold version of CG. Why?<<
    That's how it should be displayed. As a specific font-style within its font
    family.

    I should do a search for all adobefnt*.LST files across all drives and
    delete all you find - They will be rebuilt as required.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks.

    I asked about the menu display because other of my fonts display each style as a separate font.

    I'll do that search.

    Thanks again.
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm still having the same problem after the search and erase of adobefnt*.LST files (they are still in my trash can. Does that matter?). That is, in the pdf file created in Illustrator, accented letters in CG do not appear correctly and the software cannot "find" the font CG bold (it can find the font CG). (This results in all type in CG bold being spaced out across the page. Accented letters in another typeface, helvetica for example, appear correctly.

    I don't have the same problem when I create the pdf file using CutePDF. Everything is correct, including CG bold and accents . . . but, alas, without the compression control of adobe pdf, the resulting pdf file is much too large to send electronically.

    Is the problem with my CG font, or elsewhere?
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Brooke,
    >>they are still in my trash can. Does that matter?<<
    Shouldn't do, but neither is there any reason not to empty them from the
    re-cycle bin.

    I can't reproduce your problem here. It would be worth while removing the TT
    version from your machine just in case that is upsetting it

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for working on this problem which has been frustrating me for a long time. Since I have to work with the CG font frequently, I usually just try to avoid having to make a pdf file from the doents which contain it. That's ridiculous and not always possible, so I hope someday to figure it out!

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest