Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF File size huge on export compared to print to ps/distill - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've seen several posts that touch on this subject, but I would love to know why this is the case and/or what I can do about it.. File sizes of pdfs exported from InDesign are coming out about 4 times the size of the same file printed to postscript and then distilled, using the same preferences. Stopping the graphics/compression way down, the exported files are still significantly larger than a distilled pdf. The pdf is our final product, distributed via email and the web so a 140kb file is clearly preferable to 700kb one. But the workflow is much better ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF File size huge on export compared to print to ps/distill

    I've seen several posts that touch on this subject, but I would love to know why this is the case and/or what I can do about it..

    File sizes of pdfs exported from InDesign are coming out about 4 times the size of the same file printed to postscript and then distilled, using the same preferences. Stopping the graphics/compression way down, the exported files are still significantly larger than a distilled pdf.

    The pdf is our final product, distributed via email and the web so a 140kb file is clearly preferable to 700kb one. But the workflow is much better if the file is exported, especially just links being set in a template instead of created by hand in each file.

    Is there any way to tell InDesign to use the distiller's preferences or, even better, to just use the distiller?

    Is there any other resolution than to just continue printing to ps and distilling?
    irenes@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    What version PDF are you printing/exporting to?

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    We're saving them back to v 1.3 from InDesign CS/Acrobat 6
    irenes@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It is commonly accepted that InDesign exported PDFs are larger then
    same/similar settings in PS-Distiller made PDFs. But usually this is only a
    little larger. Your example gained 560, which is significant for on screen
    uses, but in a print workflow this is peanuts.

    You might try running the PDF Optimizer in Acrobat 6 (if you are working
    with v6) but then, that is an extra step. If your main objective is small
    file size, you may need to stick with PS-Distiller for now. But does not
    need to be a two step function. Simply "Print" to Distiller (called Adobe
    PDF with V6, and I think Acrobat Distiller in earlier versions) and this is
    fairly painless.

    HTH

    Larry

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try exporting to 1.4 instead.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Larry, the extra step in Acrobat would be preferable and I hadn't tried it.. it knocks the size down about 150k (to 538k) which is better, but still much bigger than the distilled doc.

    I have very bad luck with printing to the Distiller in the past, but it seems to be much improved! It doesn't seem to use all the distiller's preferences though (file saves as 1.4) and the links don't come through, but it does remove a step.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Exporting to 1.4 doesn't seem to affect the file size (w/in 1k), should it?
    irenes@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    doesn't seem to use all the distiller's preferences though (file saves as
    1.4) and the links don't come through, but it does remove a step.

    You must be missing something. Printing to Distiller should give you the
    same exact menu of settings as does Distillers job options, which also can
    be modified on the fly. You just need to go through the Advanced tab, and
    select PDF settings from the print dialog

    But another option for you might be Watched Folders. You set these up in
    Distiller, then when you make your Postscript file, saving to this folder
    will automatically create your PDF. You assign the job options settings to
    the folder properties, and it can be set up to create the PDF immediately,
    or at some predetermined interval.

  8. #8

    Thanks again Larry! I was missing something.. I had to go into the setup and then printer preferences before I got to any acrobat settings. But from there I can use my preset, which makes it almost an ideal solution.
    The only thing better would be if I could keep links embedded, but I guess that's a wish for another time.

    Thanks for your help
    irenes@adobeforums.com Guest