Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF filesize in Illustrator CS - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello all- I've just downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CS, and am currently using version 8. My problem/question is this- using the save features in version 8, I can take an .ai file (all vector, no bitmap based imagery) at 8.5 x 11, and save it out (as a PDF) as ~15 K file. In CS, the absolute smallest filesize for a PDF I could create was 151 K. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way I can get a PDF generated from CS to be about the size I could get them in version 8? ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF filesize in Illustrator CS

    Hello all-
    I've just downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CS, and am currently using version 8. My problem/question is this- using the save features in version 8, I can take an .ai file (all vector, no bitmap based imagery) at 8.5 x 11, and save it out (as a PDF) as ~15 K file. In CS, the absolute smallest filesize for a PDF I could create was 151 K. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a way I can get a PDF generated from CS to be about the size I could get them in version 8?
    Thanks
    Steve_Coon@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF filesize in Illustrator CS

    After poking around the forum, it seems that CS has a reputation for inflating the size of files. Anyone know why this is, or a way to decrease filesizes?
    Anyone...
    Steve_Coon@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I think Adobe's programmers have invested heavily in Seagate.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This is kind of frustrating. There is no support other than these forums for trialware, and if you want to talk to a tech service rep, you have to buy their software, and going by the trial version so far, spending hundreds of dollars in order to answer one nagging question isn't worth it. Or, buy a service contract, for a TRIAL version of the software- you have support for a product you can't even use anymore after x days. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, with Adobe being the only winners.

    I need someone to remind me why on earth I'd want to buy software that seems to have gotten less efficient than the "outdated version", and has lackluster support for as well?
    Steve_Coon@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Try unchecking "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capablilites" when you saveas
    PDF

    Rick Moore Guest

  6. #6

    Jon_Thrasher@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Steve,

    By default, when you save the file as .ai or .EPS you will be effectively
    saving two versions of the file. By unchecking the Create PDF Compatible
    File, you will drastically reduce the file size.

    Additionally, by deleting all unused Objects, Swatches, Styles and Brushes
    from the palettes before saving you will also reduce the file size
    considerably.

    Lastly, AI8 did not embed the ICC profile. CS does and this can account for
    another 400 Kb or so.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I still find Illustratoc CS files are unreasonably large. I have a file, saved as AI without PDF compatibility. There are no imported images, no raster effects, one simple semi-transparent object, anf nothing that cannot be done in Illustrator 9. The AI 10 file I converted from was 800 kb. The CS file I saved was 12 Mb. I don't have a clue what that extra 1,400% could possibly be for.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hmm, I had a PDF sent over to me, pure vector imagery, nothing else. (aside from fonts of course)In it's native form, it was over 300 K in filesize. In AI8 I could save that as a pdf and get the file size to about 15 K with the compression options on (ZIPed, at 4 bit quality with text and line art compressed). In CS, I set all PDF options to minimum. Illustrator compatibility was off, and essentially ALL options in the general setup under pdf generation were unchecked. In the compression window, I chose each and every compression type available to test for file size variations. Compression was smallest at ZIP, quality: 4 bit. I set subsetting fonts to 0% since I was only using Arial (a very common font, so I wasn't overly concerned with font embedding for these tests). With all of those options, the absolute smallest the file got was 151 K, or 10 times the filesize I got from AI8. That is grossly inefficient IMHO. (In AI8, you could opt to NOT embed fonts at all, and that made a HUGE difference in file size)

    Interestingly enough, in all tests across AI8 and CS, converting text to outlines increased file size in every test. Apparently vector art takes up more memory than fonts.
    Steve_Coon@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Steve,
    >>Apparently vector art takes up more memory than fonts.<<
    It's bound to. As text each character takes 1 byte to describe. As outline
    it can take many more bytes depending upon the number of anchor points it
    takes to describe.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest