Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF Forms + Illustrator CS4 (losing formfunctionality after saving in Illustrator CS4) - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I have a form set up that I use to keep information about various projects. The form was created in Illustrator CS3 and Acrobat Pro 8. Previously, data could be entered on the form by another Acrobat user, then opened in Illustrator CS3 by the artist to add artwork to the doent. While open in Illustrator, none of the information entered on the form would be visible (the form would appear blank), but after saving the doent and opening it in again in Acrobat Pro, both the artwork from Illustrator would appear and the information in the form fields would ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF Forms + Illustrator CS4 (losing formfunctionality after saving in Illustrator CS4)

    I have a form set up that I use to keep information about various projects. The form was created in Illustrator CS3 and Acrobat Pro 8. Previously, data could be entered on the form by another Acrobat user, then opened in Illustrator CS3 by the artist to add artwork to the doent. While open in Illustrator, none of the information entered on the form would be visible (the form would appear blank), but after saving the doent and opening it in again in Acrobat Pro, both the artwork from Illustrator would appear and the information in the form fields would still be present as well as editable.

    Now I take the same form, I can fill out the data fields in Acrobat Pro 9, save, then add artwork in Illustrator CS4 and save it, all form data is lost and I'm not able to add anything to it in Acrobat Pro 9. (Illustrator seems to be breaking the form and wiping out any info that was previously entered onto the form).

    Any ideas on how to get around this? I tried taking the original doent and running it through the forms wizard to sort of re-make the form in Acrobat 9, but I still lose form functionality and information once I save it in Illustrator CS4.
    Mike_Sloan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Do you have access to the original Illustrator doent? If so, can you use that to make the required changes instead and update the PDF form with the new content?

    George
    George Guest

  3. #3

    It's a generic form that's used for several different projects, and the form is populated with initial information by someone other than an artist (as a way to distribute the art assignment to an artist)-- ergo it's first being edited in acrobat (form fields populated), and then vector artwork being added in illustrator later. If the doent were being used just one time by just one person, it would make sense to do it all in one program.

    I just ask the question because this issue didn't exist with Illustrator CS3, I wonder how CS4 is handling the pdf files differently to be dropping / destroying that form information or if there's something I'm missing that I need to do to preserve it.

    I've managed to create a form that, when opened in illustrator, causes illustrator (cs4) to prompt me that the doent has been modified outside of illustrator and asks me whether I want to retain those changes (thereby reducing how editable the doent is in illustrator), or whether I want to discard those changes to maximize illustrator edibility. Retaining the changes seems to do the trick-- I'm able to past vector art into the doent, save, and then re-open in Acrobat and be able to see both the form info and the art from illustrator.

    However, if I save it in illustrator, close it, then open and make additional changes in illustrator, it then discards any form information. It can only be opened and saved once in illustrator after changes are made in acrobat. Strange.
    Mike_Sloan@adobeforums.com Guest