Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF graphic loses gradients - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I created a graphic in Illustrator with a few gradients. It looks great on my computer however when my service bureau opens the file on their computer the gradients do not show up or print - or at least they are there but they are very faint - everything else prints fine except the gradients. Did I miss setting one of the PDF settings when saving the illustrator graphic as a PDF? If I recall correctly when the service bureau opened the file on their computer I think I remember a message appearing saying that my file uses a newer ...

  1. #1

    Default PDF graphic loses gradients

    I created a graphic in Illustrator with a few gradients. It looks great on my computer however when my service bureau opens the file on their computer the gradients do not show up or print - or at least they are there but they are very faint - everything else prints fine except the gradients.

    Did I miss setting one of the PDF settings when saving the illustrator graphic as a PDF?

    If I recall correctly when the service bureau opened the file on their computer I think I remember a message appearing saying that my file uses a newer version of PDF or Acrobat.

    Could it simply be that my service bureau should be using the latest version of Acrobat? Should I back-save it as an older version of acrobat? What should I do so that the gradients print properly from Acrobat?

    Or is there some other reason why gradients would not show up in a PDF in acrobat on someone else's computer? Has anyone experienced this before?

    Should I "flatten" the image first and then send it to the service bureau?

    Thank you for any suggestions.

    I am using CS2 (includes acrobat 7 and illustrator 12.0.0 )
    rainbow@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF graphic loses gradients

    I just ran some more tests in Acrobat 7 based on Gerald's advice (from another forum) that perhaps I am using some postscript level 3 features that do not print on postscript level 2 devices. I think this probably is the cause. Thanks Gerald. I preflighted the file and a few notes came up that a feature called something like "Smooth Shading" is used to create these gradients. I based the preflight on all elements that require at least postscript level 3. "Smooth Shading" kept coming up as a note that it requires postscript level 3 supporting devices.

    And so as Gerald mentioned it is likely my service bureaus colour laser printer only supports Postscript 2 and therefore will not support the gradients.

    If this is the case, here is the solution I found in the online help for illustrator:

    "If you have to print to an output device that supports Postscript Language Level 2, or when printing meshes that include transparency, you can choose to rasterize gradients and meshes during printing. As a result, Illustrator converts gradients and meshes from vector objects to JPEG images."

    You can also set certain areas of the file (such as the gradients) to be rasterized under object>rasterize (after selecting an object first).

    Because of the nature of this particular illustration, I think I will rasterize my illustration simply by exporting the image part of the file (not the small type) to photoshop. Maybe set the photoshop resolution to 400 ppi. That would be the easiest solution.

    Thank you for all this help!
    rainbow@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    rainbow, in the illustrator forum you say your gradient stops are c:0, m:0, y:3, k:3 blending to c:0, m:0, y:0, k:0 then "or at least they are there but they are very faint"
    I would expect this to be the case and if your service bureau is outputting to a colour laser printer its most likely not able to deal with such low values. The other thing is over what kind of distance does this blend take place?
    Mark_Larsen@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sorry everyone. I meant to write:
    C:0 M:0 Y:3 K: 12

    Yes 0-0-3-3 would have been much too light but that was a typo on my part - oops!. Sorry.

    Also, the blend is over 1 inch.

    Thanks Mark!
    rainbow@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    And if your service bureau is still on a Postscript Level 2 device - which is over 10 YEARS OLD - I would switch bureaus!

    Leonard
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest