Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF missing graphics - Macromedia Freehand

That technote says this: Not all of the possible features of FreeHand are supported in the PDF export. FreeHand features not supported in PDF export When exporting PDF from FreeHand, be aware that: Alpha channel transparency will be lost. Placed EPS, PICT and DCS files will not be exported. Custom, Textured and PostScript fills and strokes are not supported. PostScript-generated screens (halftone, line, etc.) applied to bitmap graphics will be ignored. The PDF format is limited to a maximum page size of roughly 45 inches by 45 inches. PDF will ignore anything outside of this boundary, cropping whatever is taller ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: PDF missing graphics

    That technote says this:
    Not all of the possible features of FreeHand are supported in the PDF
    export.

    FreeHand features not supported in PDF export
    When exporting PDF from FreeHand, be aware that:

    Alpha channel transparency will be lost.
    Placed EPS, PICT and DCS files will not be exported.

    Custom, Textured and PostScript fills and strokes are not supported.
    PostScript-generated screens (halftone, line, etc.) applied to bitmap
    graphics will be ignored.
    The PDF format is limited to a maximum page size of roughly 45 inches
    by 45 inches. PDF will ignore anything outside of this boundary, cropping
    whatever is taller or wider than 45 inches.
    All text effects will be ignored, except inline graphics.
    All overprinting effects will be ignored.

    Last updated: September 11, 2002
    Created: October 9, 1998

    That was updated a year and half ago. Have they not done any changes since
    then?
    Why is none of this upfont when you try to export to PDF. Why does everyone
    have to try and fail to export to PDF!!!
    Bodge bodge bodge
    Geth

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.ht[/url]

    > If you need to export print quality EPSs, then I recommend printing to
    > Postscript files and distilling with Adobe Distiller.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > edwardb wrote:
    >
    > > I?m using a Mac G5 with OSX 10.2.7 and Freehand 10
    > > When exporting a Freehand file as a PDF the Photoshop EPSs are missing
    from
    > > the PDF. TIFFs are visible.
    > > The FH10 help program doesn?t help.
    > > Any similar experiences or solutions?
    > > Thanks?
    > > EdB

    Getho Guest

  2. #2

    Judy,
    I thought this sounded like a great solution to some other problems, but
    when I try to print to "generic postscript printer" I cant seem to change
    the paper size anywhere. I'm printing A4 with 3mm bleed, to I need to print
    to 303x216. This is win xp and the printer is the adobe pisctciprt printer
    installed to get acrobat 4 to work

    Geth

    "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    > Ed,
    > See this technote on the Limitations of PDF export:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.ht[/url]

    > If you need to export print quality EPSs, then I recommend printing to
    > Postscript files and distilling with Adobe Distiller.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > edwardb wrote:
    >
    > > I?m using a Mac G5 with OSX 10.2.7 and Freehand 10
    > > When exporting a Freehand file as a PDF the Photoshop EPSs are missing
    from
    > > the PDF. TIFFs are visible.
    > > The FH10 help program doesn?t help.
    > > Any similar experiences or solutions?
    > > Thanks?
    > > EdB

    Getho Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, I'm on a Mac, so I may not be able to help you.

    Normally, the PPD for the printer (or 'virtual printer' or 'formatting
    printer') must contain the paper size needed or you will have to set up a
    custom page size. In File > Page Setup, select 'Adobe PDF' as printer, and
    either select a listed Paper size or set up a Custom Paper Size if
    necessary.

    Judy Arndt

    Getho wrote:
    > Judy,
    > I thought this sounded like a great solution to some other problems, but
    > when I try to print to "generic postscript printer" I cant seem to change
    > the paper size anywhere. I'm printing A4 with 3mm bleed, to I need to print
    > to 303x216. This is win xp and the printer is the adobe pisctciprt printer
    > installed to get acrobat 4 to work
    >
    > Geth
    >

    > "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    >> Ed,
    >> See this technote on the Limitations of PDF export:
    >>
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/export_limits_pdf.ht[/url]
    >>
    >> If you need to export print quality EPSs, then I recommend printing to
    >> Postscript files and distilling with Adobe Distiller.
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt
    >>
    >> edwardb wrote:
    >>
    >>> I?m using a Mac G5 with OSX 10.2.7 and Freehand 10
    >>> When exporting a Freehand file as a PDF the Photoshop EPSs are missing
    > from
    >>> the PDF. TIFFs are visible.
    >>> The FH10 help program doesn?t help.
    >>> Any similar experiences or solutions?