Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF problems - Macromedia Freehand

when i export to pdf, my bold is no longer there. i've exported the same file before already, and the bold worked, i made changes to the FH doc and the export wouldn't carry the bold over. using FH10 doug...

  1. #1

    Default PDF problems

    when i export to pdf, my bold is no longer there.

    i've exported the same file before already, and the bold worked, i made
    changes to the FH doc and the export wouldn't carry the bold over.

    using FH10

    doug

    Doug Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PDF problems

    Did you use the actual drawn bold version of the font (e.g., Helvetica neue
    Bold), or did you select relgualr and click the 'Bold' button. The latter
    won't output properly if the actual bold font is not available.

    in article bhgo00$dla$1forums.macromedia.com, Doug at [email]dougroadtrips.com[/email]
    wrote on 8/14/03 3:29 PM:
    > when i export to pdf, my bold is no longer there.
    >
    > i've exported the same file before already, and the bold worked, i made
    > changes to the FH doc and the export wouldn't carry the bold over.
    >
    > using FH10
    >
    > doug

    David Maurand Guest

  3. #3

    We just ran into an interesting, yet painful, problem with an ad series, that
    we submit to the publisher as Press Ready .pdf files. We also recently upgraded
    all new Macs, and we're still going through a learning curve with FHMX..... but
    I should mention that we never had this problem before in earlier versions of
    FH and Acrobat.

    Art files are built in FHMX (11.02) and a .ps file is created, using the
    Acrobat 7 ppd.

    The file is run through Distiller, Press Quality.

    The resulting PDF file looks great, except black type has been converted to a
    4 color process black. It doesn't matter whether you've specified a cmyk black
    or a spot black, or if the text is converted to a path or a text block. The
    CMYK values are 65/62/65/72

    When the same file is opened in Illustrator, and a .ps file is printed, then
    distilled, the black type comes out as black only, i.e. correct.

    When the same FHMX file is saved as an RGB eps file and brought into
    PhotoShop, the black type also comes out as black only, i.e. correct.

    I've looked pretty extensively through the forums and support area and haven't
    seen this mentioned elsewhere.

    Any suggestions?

    PS. Had an idea, just tried this..... Exported as FH10 file, opened on my PC
    (only place I have FH10), saved as .ps file, brought back to my Mac, ran
    through Distiller --- YES, it worked. Black prints correctly.

    ShankusMung Guest

  4. #4

    OK, fixed my own problem, in case anyone is interested.

    The fix is to turn off "Optimal CMYK Rendering" inside the File>Doent
    Settings> Raster Effects Settings dialogue box -- IN EVERY SINGLE DOENT
    CREATED. This works (when saved as a postscript file) -- the .ps file distills
    fine after this is turned off. Apparently, this setting forces EVERYTHING to
    CMYK!, even if you have no raster effects in your file.

    Now the question is: Is there any way to turn off raster effects "Optimal CMYK
    Rendering" GLOBALLY? (I'm guessing there isn't..... And, unfortunately, I guess
    it doesn't really matter anyway.....)

    :(

    a PROUD FreeHand Junkie

    ShankusMung Guest

  5. #5

    You can turn off the 'Optimal CMYK Rendering' toggle in your 'new doent template' to have it set that way for all new doents.

    Open a new blank doent, change the setting, and save as an .FT11. Then select that template file in your preferences, under the 'Doent' tab, in 'New Doent Template.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    YES!

    THANK YOU!

    (now was that so hard?)
    ShankusMung Guest

  7. #7

    PDF linked file will not upload with the page. Window reads:
    "Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission
    problem."
    I browsed to the file to link it. So it is there. I just made the file as an
    Export from InDesign. Adobe Reader open it with ease. Don't know where to turn.

    timan42 Guest