Professional Web Applications Themes

PDF TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES - Adobe Acrobat Windows

PDF FILES ARE TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES. I HAVE CREATED PDF FILES FROM AUTOCAD AND THE "DWG"(AUTOCAD) FILE HAS EMBEDDED "TIF" IMAGES AS A LINK OR IMAGE EXTERNAL REFERENCE ONLY. THEY ARE DISPLAYED IN MY AUTOCAD SCREEN AND CAN BE PRINTED BY ANY MEAN. BUT, THEY ARE REALLY LOCATED IN ANOTHER FOLDER OR NETWORK PLACE. THE PROBLEM IS WHEN I SEND CERTAIN AREA OF MY AUTOCAD DRAWING TO BE PRINTED IN ADOBE, THE PDF FILE IS TOO BIG (10MG OR SO) BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH THE PRINTED AREA IS SMALL AND CONTAINS JUST A LITTLE ...

Default PDF TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES

PDF FILES ARE TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES.
    I HAVE CREATED PDF FILES FROM AUTOCAD AND THE "DWG"(AUTOCAD) FILE HAS EMBEDDED "TIF" IMAGES AS A LINK OR IMAGE EXTERNAL REFERENCE ONLY. THEY ARE DISPLAYED IN MY AUTOCAD SCREEN AND CAN BE PRINTED BY ANY MEAN. BUT, THEY ARE REALLY LOCATED IN ANOTHER FOLDER OR NETWORK PLACE.

THE PROBLEM IS WHEN I SEND CERTAIN AREA OF MY AUTOCAD DRAWING TO BE PRINTED IN ADOBE, THE PDF FILE IS TOO BIG (10MG OR SO) BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH THE PRINTED AREA IS SMALL AND CONTAINS JUST A LITTLE DRAWING WITH NOT TOO MANY LINES.
    THE AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINS A FEW REFERENCED "TIF" FILES WHICH HAVE A SIZE AROUND 10 MG TOTAL AND ALL THAT INFORMATION IS SENT TO ALL PRINTS OR SHEETS OF DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE PLAN MADE WITH SAID AUTOCAD FILE.

IS THERE ANY SETTING IN WHICH ADOBE TAKES ONLY THE RELEVANT "TIF" INFORMATION TO THE SMALL ZOOM AREA I AM PRINTING AND NOT ALL THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE AUTOCAD FILE.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW

CARLOS NARANJO
    CARLOS_NARANJO@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: PDF TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES

"PDF TOO BIG..."

So is your all capped post. Turn off that caps lock and retype that in normal letters please.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: PDF TOO BIG WHEN CREATED FROM AUTOCAD FILE CONTAINING EMBEDDED IMAGES

pdf files are too big when created from autocad file containing embedded images. have created pdf files from autocad and the "dwg"(autocad) file has embedded "tif" images as a link or image external reference only. they are displayed in my autocad screen and can be printed by any mean. but, they are really located in another folder or network place.

the problem is when i send certain area of my autocad drawing to be printed in adobe, the pdf file is too big (10mg or so) because even though the printed area is small and contains just a little drawing with not too many lines.
    the autocad file contains a few referenced "tif" files which have a size around 10 mg total and all that information is sent to all prints or sheets of different areas of the plan made with said autocad file.

is there any setting in which adobe takes only the relevant "tif" information to the small zoom area i am printing and not all the information contained in the autocad file.

please let me know

CARLOS NARANJO

Probably not. The problem is that AutoCAD is sending the entire TIFF to the printer--which means Distiller is going to put the entire TIFF into the PDF. The only way to keep Distiller from doing this is to somehow make AutoCAD not send the entire TIFF.

This may or may not be possible--but it is not an Acrobat problem.

Nathan
    Nathan_Strong@adobeforums.com Guest

Carlos:

Are any of the rasters rotated so they are not perpendicular to the UCS? Do you have Cad Overlay or Raster Design?

Steve
    Steve_Coates@adobeforums.com Guest

Ok I understand that Autocad sends all the tiff files and not only the portion in the sheet. But I also know that when you send the same file to a regular printer, said printer prints only what is included in the sheet and not continue printing the rest of the "tif" information. Therefore, It may be a problem with Autocad like you said. But, if regular printers work, fax printers work fine and even autocad drivers for printer-to-"tif" & "jpg" drivers work fine and don't send the rest of the information to the final format (hard copy or electronic file) I don't see why pdf printer driver should be the exception.

CARLOS

I missed where we verified that AutoCAD sends the entire TIFF image to the print driver, even if only a small portion of it is visible.

How did you verify this?
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

Yes they are rotated and scaled to real size in my model-space. This way I can scale the desire factor in my paper-space and ultimately in my final print. But, I do the scaling manually I don't have Overlay or other program

CARLOS

Also, what happens if you take the "too big" PDF and print it to Distiller?

I am only assuming that, Because the total size of "tiff" files embeded or referenced in my autocad drawing is about 10mg and the size of the pdf is about the same. even though the autocad file itself is only 300kb

CARLOS

The file is that big that my computer takes so long and the application gets stuck and I have to shut the program off or even restart the computer.

Altough I have used the utility "pdf optimizer" to reduce the file and has worked fine. But it is time consuming I can not spend 10 or 20 minutes in each created sheet.

Besides I don't know how to use the distiller from adobe 6 pro. I don't see a printer "distiller" installed like in previous versions of adobe.

CARLOS

Sorry, the Distiller printer has changed names to "Adobe PDF," but it's the same thing.

I think it's more likely the case that the TIFF images are being expanded or uncompressed and just happen to be about 10MB in size. What raster compression settings are you using when you make the PDF?

I'm using
    color jpg, 150 pixels per inch
    grayscale: 150 pixels p inch
    b/w: CCITT GRUOP R 300 PIXELS PER INCH

Carlos;

Try the following;
    rotate the raster so it is perpendicular to UCS World and print the same size viewport, if the file is smaller we will know why.

I have had similar problems of this kind, I think because the raster is rotated AutoCad reinterprets the raster when sending to the printer.

Steve
    Steve_Coates@adobeforums.com Guest

I've tried making the raster perpendicular and is still the same size.

cARLOS

I think I have found a solution at least temporary. Although, I still think that the adobe acrobat is not doing well with Autocad when using embedded raster images.

I have installed a new printer in autocad from the "add a plotter wizard" said printer is chosen from the adobe category and I picked "adobe postscript level 2" from there. Then I have to print every layout or sheet and make a "eps" file for each print, said postscript file has the same quality of an adobe 10mb file but, is only 200kb instead. I think because it only picked the section of the "tif" image to be printed and not the total amount of embedded images like adobe maker used to do.

The quality is very good and the size works fine with every computer.

So please pass over my advice

CARLOS

think I have found a solution at least temporary. Although, I still think that the adobe acrobat is not doing well with Autocad when using embedded raster images.

I have installed a new printer in autocad from the "add a plotter wizard" said printer is chosen from the adobe category and I picked "adobe postscript level 2" from there. Then I have to print every layout or sheet and make a "eps" file for each print, said postscript file has the same quality of an adobe 10mb file but, is only 200kb instead. I think because it only picked the section of the "tif" image to be printed and not the total amount of embedded images like adobe maker used to do.

The quality is very good and the size works fine with every computer.

So please pass over my advice

CARLOS

DWG to PDF which is a Window printer might help you in this case
    Raqib Guest