Professional Web Applications Themes

Pen tool convert to selection like photoshop - Macromedia Fireworks

How can I use the pen tool in fireworks and then make that into a selection? Like Photoshop? I have Fireworks MX (Version 6) not 04 MX thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Pen tool convert to selection like photoshop

    How can I use the pen tool in fireworks and then make that into a selection? Like Photoshop?
    I have Fireworks MX (Version 6) not 04 MX

    thanks

    dangermon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pen tool convert to selection like photoshop

    "dangermon" com wrote:

    Click on the bitmap thumbnail in the layers panel. It's important to
    click on the thumbnail itself. Clicking on the sublayer isn't enough.

    Once the thumbnail is selected, press CTRL (Control on Macintosh) and
    move your cursor over the thumbnail of the path object in the Layers
    panel. A cursor cue in the form of a tiny marquee should appear. When
    you see the cursor cue, click on the thumbnail of the path object. A
    marquee will appear around its edges. From this point you can use the
    marquee selection as usual.

    Note that once you've selected an object in this way, there's no way to
    adjust the selection the way you can with a mask group.

    Remove the path object by deleting it or hiding it.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    A great tip, Linda! Maybe I am doing something wrong (or missing the point),
    but I had to first convert the path shape/outline to a bitmap before I was
    able to turn it into a bitmap selection.

    --
    | Jim Babbage - CMX
    | Newmedia Services
    | * Web Design * Photography * Training * Consulting *
    | http://www.nms123.ca | ca

    | TODCON is coming - April 2 - 4, 2004 - www.todcon.org
    | MXNorth - Vancouver, BC - July 10-11, 2004 - www.mxnorth.com
    | Extending Knowledge, Daily
    | http://www.communityMX.com/
    | CommunityMX - Free Resources
    | http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
    | No registration required

    -

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message
    news:bvbgb1$t56$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    selection? Like Photoshop?

    > Click on the bitmap thumbnail in the layers panel. It's important to
    > click on the thumbnail itself. Clicking on the sublayer isn't enough.
    >
    > Once the thumbnail is selected, press CTRL (Control on Macintosh) and
    > move your cursor over the thumbnail of the path object in the Layers
    > panel. A cursor cue in the form of a tiny marquee should appear. When
    > you see the cursor cue, click on the thumbnail of the path object. A
    > marquee will appear around its edges. From this point you can use the
    > marquee selection as usual.
    >
    > Note that once you've selected an object in this way, there's no way to
    > adjust the selection the way you can with a mask group.
    >
    > Remove the path object by deleting it or hiding it.
    >
    > Linda Rathgeber
    > Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    > http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    > Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    > Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    > Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    Jim Babbage - CMX wrote:

    Actually, you just need to be in bitmap mode but don't need to convert
    your vector shape into a bitmap first.: If you have a bitmap image in
    your doent, double click it then hover over the thumbnail image of
    the vector path object you want to use for a bitmap selection in the
    layers panel and Control-Click on it. Fireworks will select all non
    transparent pixels of the path object. Just be careful to use a filled
    shape if you want that action to emulate Photoshop's equivalent feature.
    If you simply do this on a stroked but unfilled path, Fireworks would
    just make a selection of the stroke (or all the non-transparent pixels
    on that sub-layer).

    Why we can't convert a vector path to a bitmap selection directly is
    beyond me...

    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guest

  5. #5

    And try to find THIS in the FW help files. LOL

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message
    news:bvbr6b$el1$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    point), [/ref]
    was

    > Actually, you just need to be in bitmap mode but don't need to convert
    > your vector shape into a bitmap first.: If you have a bitmap image in
    > your doent, double click it then hover over the thumbnail image of
    > the vector path object you want to use for a bitmap selection in the
    > layers panel and Control-Click on it. Fireworks will select all non
    > transparent pixels of the path object. Just be careful to use a filled
    > shape if you want that action to emulate Photoshop's equivalent feature.
    > If you simply do this on a stroked but unfilled path, Fireworks would
    > just make a selection of the stroke (or all the non-transparent pixels
    > on that sub-layer).
    >
    > Why we can't convert a vector path to a bitmap selection directly is
    > beyond me...
    >
    > Stéphane
    >[/ref]

    Jim Guest

  6. #6

    Jim Babbage - CMX wrote:

    Here's a flash demo. I hope you have broadband. :-)

    http://www.playingwithfire.com/test/convert.html