Professional Web Applications Themes

Pencil Tool changes to Grab Tool Acrobat 7 - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Whenever I am doing editing or inserting proofreading marks, I used to (in Acrobat 6) jsut click on Pencil Tool, write to my hearts content, and then I could use the spacebar to change the pencil to a grab hand. I could then manipulate the location of what I had just written. In Acrobat 7 it seems that as soon as I am done making my proofreading marks, if I mouse-over what was just written it auto-changes to the grab tool. This makes it especially hard if I'm just trying to "dot the I's and cross the T's" It starts ...

Default Pencil Tool changes to Grab Tool Acrobat 7

Whenever I am doing editing or inserting proofreading marks, I used to (in Acrobat 6) jsut click on Pencil Tool, write to my hearts content, and then I could use the spacebar to change the pencil to a grab hand. I could then manipulate the location of what I had just written.

In Acrobat 7 it seems that as soon as I am done making my proofreading marks, if I mouse-over what was just written it auto-changes to the grab tool. This makes it especially hard if I'm just trying to "dot the I's and cross the T's" It starts to grab the selection and move it around. Is there a way to change this so that it does auto-change to the grab tool, just remain as the pencil tool until I choose to use the grab tool, like it used to do in Acrobat 6??

Any clues or help would be very much appreciated.
    Brad_Mihlfried@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Pencil Tool changes to Grab Tool Acrobat 7

Sorry,

I forgot to mention that I am using Acrobat version 7.0.0 and running Mac OS 10.4.7 - But have seen similar occurances on Mac OS 10.4.x and 10.3.x, while using Acrobat 7

Have you updated to 7.0.8?
    graffiti Guest

Yes, I have updated to 7.0.8, still the same issue. If you want to te what im talking about -- Use the pencil tool in Acrobat 6.0.x when you are drawing, it stays in drawing mode, unless you press the spacebar to use the Hand Tool.

In Acrobat 7.0.x once you lift your stylus, or unclick your mouse button, it flattens the image and switches to either an 'extend' tool to make the lines longer, or also it will make the drawing a selection, and change to the hand tool and you will then drag the image instead of continuing in the pencil mode.

Show the Properties bar, command-e, and check the box that says "keep tool selected"
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

man, I thought you definately had it there!! Unfortunately not. Still, when I use the pencil to write proofreading marks, and then go to cross it out again, it changes to a dark black arrow which moves the selection around. Or it will change to double lines, which only allows me to stretch my current drawing in either direction.

Any else have any issues? If someone has both installed on their mac, they would see what im referring to. More suggestions please! I think we are on the right track!

and then go to cross it out again,

Not sure what you mean. No matter how many time I switch tools, whenever I go back to the pencil tool, it still continues to draw pencil marks.

Ah, I see what you'r talking about. Each line you draw has a bounding box. When you hover over it with the pencil tool, you'll get a black arrow, which menas you can drag the annotation to a different place. The Double lines aloow you to scale the pencil marks.

If you start your new pencil mark outside of the bounding box, you shouldn't have any problems adding additional lines. If you hover your mouse long enough inside the box, the arrow should turn to crosshairs again, and you can draw over the top of the exisiting line.

Exactly!! You see it now! Okay, I completely understand what you are saying about starting outside the box. I guess thats what im wondering now, if thats just something they started in Acrobat 7.

Because in the old version of 6 you could draw all day long, and it would never activate that bounding box, the double lines or anything until you held down the space bar and clicked, and thats what I want to te is the old setup where you had to say you want to select it as opposed to it just auto-selecting it. It gets to be hard like i said for example if you want to just cross a "T" and instead it drags the vertical "I" across the screen, its pretty annoying.

But im glad you see what im talking about now! Thank You!

Yes, the behavior has changed between versions 6 and 7, and looking at 8, it appears to have changed yet again, but still similar to v7

Darn,

So I guess im SOL when it comes to hoping that the certain functionality that it did before is going to be fixed? And I am going to have to continue to be stuck in version 6.0 forever?

And I am going to have to continue to be stuck in version 6.0 forever?

If you can't live without the Acrobat 6 behavior, you may have to use v6 forever.

I have the same problem....I was using 6 to teach and give notes with as a teacher (many of my teachers used it), I upgraded to 8 and 9 and had to go back to 6...has a solution to this been solved?
    As far as a pen tools goes, Adobe had it going, but then ruined it. Alternatives like MS's One Note require you to past into it, where with Adobe it's all on top of the PDF that most textbooks and worksheets come in.
    Unregistered Guest