Professional Web Applications Themes

Pentax *istD S - Photography

DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks. Tom K...

  1. #1

    Default Pentax *istD S

    DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
    it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
    ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

    Tom K
    Tom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pentax *istD S

    > Tom K <com.invalid> wrote:

    Not strictly true.
    Phil has a preview:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/>
    Steve's has a final:
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/istds.html>
    DCviews has a something:
    <http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istDs-review.htm>
    There are likely more.

    I haven't been following Pentax, but the 'DS appears
    to be shipping already (B&H has 'em).

    When a camera ships before ANY final reviews are ready,
    that's a red flag, as the Sony DSC-F828 roll-out
    reminded us just over a year ago. No red here.

    In this case, it could just be a case of high
    workload at dpr. If I were considering a Pentax, I'd
    consider it just mildly troubling, and I'd wait until
    Phil had a final. A final may be in work, but I doubt
    it will be published before the PMA smoke clears.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Niland" <com> wrote in message

    > Not strictly true.
    > Phil has a preview:
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/>
    > Steve's has a final:
    > <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/istds.html>
    > DCviews has a something:
    > <http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istDs-review.htm>
    > There are likely more.
    >
    > I haven't been following Pentax, but the 'DS appears
    > to be shipping already (B&H has 'em).
    >[/ref]
    I've been selling *ist DS cameras since the end of November 2004.

    Darrell Guest

  4. #4

    Tom K <com.invalid> wrote:

    I can't compare mine to other 'entry level' DSLRs, since it's the only
    one I've got. What, specifically, is your worry about high ISOs? It has
    settings from ISO 200 to 3200. Pictures get grainier at higher settings,
    what can I say? :-)

    My favorite review is this one:
    <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-jan-05.shtml> OK, it's not
    so much a review as an essay, but it's worth reading.
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    In article <133.1.4>,
    Tom K <com.invalid> wrote:

    Pretty much the same as the *ist-D, as far as image quality goes.
    The defaults for in-camera settings may have been tweaked somewhat,
    and there's a new "vivid" tone setting, but apart from that it's
    just a *ist-D with some ergonomic differences (and simpler controls).

    John Guest

  6. #6

    "Tom K" <com.invalid> wrote in message

    Plenty of reviews out there. Great camera, I am really enjoying mine.

    One of the best kept secrets about this camera is that it is easy to use,
    has features and build quality that others dream about and produces suberb
    results. High ISO noise about the same as the Nikon D70, 1600 is very
    useable.

    Pete Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Tom,

    I've had my DS for a couple weeks now. I haven't found anything I'm unhappy
    with. What sold me was the brighter prism view that accommodates eyeglasses,
    the 2 inch LCD viewer, and the large status screen on top. Definitely the
    better choice for us older folk ;-). Ergonomics are great.

    One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time elapses
    and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
    mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not a
    show stopper.

    BobS

    "Tom K" <com.invalid> wrote in message

    BobS Guest

  8. #8

    > "Tom K" <com.invalid> wrote in message [/ref]

    Two minor complaints, based on comparing my wife's *istDS to my E-1:
    - quite disturbing shutter/mirror noise. I wouldn't like to use this
    camera in a quiet theater setting (and I'm doing a lot of that work).
    - small viewing angle on LCD, with strange "reversal" effects at wider
    viewing angles.

    Ton
    Ton Guest

  9. #9

    In article <net>,
    BobS <com> wrote:

    Try half-depressing the shutter. That definitely works on a D.

    John Guest

  10. #10

    BobS <com> wrote:

    You can turn it back on by pressing the shutter trigger (half way), or
    by using DoF preview. There's also a custom setting to change the delay
    for shutoff to three minutes.
    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    Sheesh...do I feel dumb. I guess I pushed all the wrong buttons. A tap on
    the shutter release does the job.
    Thanks to all...I learn something new every day on this NG ;-)

    BobS

    "BobS" <com> wrote in message
    unhappy
    eyeglasses,
    elapses

    >[/ref]

    BobS Guest

  12. #12

    Being an afficiado of Pentax (and believing they are always underated), but
    not an owner of a DS I thought I'd put my biased view across having handled
    one and looked at the results of a friends...
    1. It's very small and comfy to hold
    2. Well built with metal sub-frame
    3. Good controls (as always on pentax)
    4. Good picture quality - seems to suffer virtually no fringing nor
    sharpening artefacts. I still notice the noise-reduction though, but
    haven't yet seen a camera that doesn't show this. I haven't directly
    compared this against other cameras (e.g. D70), but if it's as good as the
    *istD, then there isn't a better 6MP camera (I'm not saying it's better than
    10D or D70, but on par - and with the D, the photos all need sharpening to
    bring out the details).

    Duncan.

    "Tom K" <com.invalid> wrote in message

    Duncan Guest

  13. #13

    Duncan J Murray wrote:

    Which is a good thing. As far as I know, any oversharpening in the camera is
    bad. Some have said that sharpness and resolution are sometimes confused as
    being the same thing, when they are not. I love my *ist-d. Excuse me while I go
    fondle that f 1.4 Takumar hanging off the front of it...

    mike
    m Guest

  14. #14

    m II wrote:
     [/ref]

    Some shots with the IST-D

    http://www.dariobonazza.com/f1_04e.htm

    http://www.mail-archive.com/net/msg168073.html

    mike
    m Guest

  15. #15

    "Tom K" <com.invalid> wrote in message

    Issues:

    -AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
    shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)

    -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
    that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
    soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
    and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).

    -No Compact Flash storage (the only D-SLR in any segment that doesn't
    take CF memory, an annoyance foisted on users by Pentax trying to not
    have the *istDs intrude on the *istD space)

    -No continuous auto-focus

    -No vertical grip available

    -Too much noise once you get over ISO 400 (compared to some similarly
    priced competitors).

    Still, it's a good choice if you have existing compatible Pentax
    lenses, and a very good deal at less than $750.

    IMVAIO, the Canon EOS-350D and Nikon D70 are superior choices in the
    same price range, and are more "consumer" level, than the entry level
    *istDs. If you don't own existing Pentax lenses, you'd be better off
    spending the estimated $900 on the EOS-350D or the $800 on the Nikon
    D70.

    As to high ISO, the EOS-350D is the best sub-$1000 D-SLR in terms of
    low noise at higher ISO settings, with 800 being extremely low noise,
    and 1600 still being quite usable. On the *istDs and D70, when you get
    over 400 you'll have a lot more noise than what you'd see on the
    EOS-350D. Canon has done amazing things with noise reduction on their
    CMOS sensors--Sony lags way behind, in terms of noise at higher ISOs,
    on their CCD sensors.

    Steve
    http://digitalslrinfo.com/

    scharf.steven@gmail.com Guest

  16. #16

    On 24 Feb 2005 19:54:54 -0800, com wrote:

    >Issues:
    >
    >-AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
    >shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)[/ref]

    Not really... uses CR-3V (recommended), AA Ni-MH, AA lithium and AA
    alkaline (emergency only). Major reduction in capacity as you go down
    the list from CR-3V.

    I have not had the opportunity to compare actual usage with other
    cameras but I am very happy with mine. BTW, there is a firmware
    upgrade to improve noise issues.

    Glenn

    Glenn Guest

  17. #17

    Steve, IMHO and in all fairness, I don't feel your comments present a true
    picture:

    AA and CR-V3. Alkaline are limited capacity like any other camera but a
    single charge on NiMh is good for 100-300 shots. This is not a real
    limitation. Many cameras use only AA.

    True, fewer lenses available than for Nikon/Canon however cost is less and
    some very good glass is available at a reasonable price.

    SD works as well as CF and price is comparable. Where is the issue?

    Continuous autofocus is available in one mode (can't remember the name).

    Not used by many. If this is an issue, try a Nikon/Canon.

    True enough but probably not a real issue in this segment. Bigger bucks buys
    better specs.

    On this we agree.

    While investment in these bodies is only a few hundred more, added
    investment in more costly glass can add considerably more. Know use and
    requirements before buying into any _system_.

    Probably true since the 350 represents another generation.

    Steve, you forgot to mention the true prism brighter viewfinder, larger
    eyepiece (great for eyeglasses), larger LCD viewer, larger settings display,
    easy manual operation, and more.

    BobS

    BobS Guest

  18. #18

    I purchased a Pentax *isDS as my first DSLR camera after humming and
    hawing over the D70.

    I was sold on AA power source, ergonomics, uncomplicated menu system,
    large bright viewfinder and light weight.

    Technically it might not match the new Canons but once I had it in my
    hand, it "just felt right".

    The nikon was like a brick in comparison, and I quite like SD cards as
    there are no pins to bend inside the camera when slotting it in.

    However, I notice that the pictures come out a wee bit dark, and I'm
    unsure how to perform the firmware upgrade as the downloaded file has a
    README in japanese.

    Any clue appreciated from others who have tamed the *isDS ...

    P.

    Pete Guest

  19. #19

    Pete,

    Take a look at www.dpreview.com. There was a translation in the Pentax SLR
    Talk forum a week or more ago. Sorry I can't find the link right now. Try a
    search on Firmware. I'm getting a timeout error and the search fails.

    HTH
    BobS

    "Pete" <com> wrote in message

    BobS Guest

  20. #20

    "BobS" <com> wrote in message
    true

    > AA and CR-V3. Alkaline are limited capacity like any other camera but[/ref]

    Very few D-SLRs are limited to AA or CR-V3. The issue with NiMH
    batteries is that they have a terrible shelf life. I want to know that
    I can grab my camera after two weeks of non-use, and still have close
    to a full charge. Just like with my film SLR, with a lithium battery
    that has a five year shelf life. The RCRV-3 Li-Ion batteries are a
    solution, though they are more expensive than proprietary Li-Ion packs.
     [/ref]
    zooms [/ref]
    this [/ref]
    EX,

    > True, fewer lenses available than for Nikon/Canon however cost is[/ref]
    less and

    The issue here is that if you want a true wide-angle zoom, and many
    people do, it's something to check prior to selecting a body. It isn't
    an issue just with Pentax. Nikon also doesn't have anything like
    Canon's EF-S 10-22. I would hate to be limited to Sigma glass. Again,
    Pentax is likely to come out with something soon in this focal length
    range, but it has not yet been announced.
     [/ref]
    doesn't [/ref]
    not

    > SD works as well as CF and price is comparable. Where is the issue?[/ref]

    If you're shooting in raw mode, you often want very large memory cards.
    The first 2GB SD card was just announced, and isn't yet available. With
    CF you can get 6GB with a $300 Microdrive, and 4GB Flash cards are
    already on the market. At least one review of the *istDs noted much
    better results in RAW mode.

    > Continuous autofocus is available in one mode (can't remember the[/ref]
    name).

    > Not used by many. If this is an issue, try a Nikon/Canon.[/ref]

    In the entry level this is true, a little higher up and it's a very
    popular option. There are endless complaints in the Nikon forum about
    the lack of a vertical grip for the D70, and one company is actually
    doing an after-market grip that uses cables for power and shutter
    release, since there is no connector on the D70. The *istD has a
    vertical grip available. Again, it's Pentax decontenting the *istDs to
    get the cost down and to not compete against the *istD. But other
    sub-$1000 models do have available grips, so decontenting to protect
    your other products tends to not work.
     [/ref]
    similarly

    > True enough but probably not a real issue in this segment. Bigger[/ref]
    bucks buys

    It's an issue because the competition doesn't have this issue, and
    isn't much more expensive.

    and

    Pentax does an advantage in that their consumer lenses are often less
    expensive than consumer lenses from Canon or Nikon.
     [/ref]
    of

    <snip>

    Even the 300D had good low noise performance.

    larger
    display,

    Good features, but they are only indirectly related to image quality.

    The bottom line is that the *istDs is an especially good value if you
    already have Pentax lenses, but it would be tough to come up with any
    other reasons to choose it over the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS-350D,
    despite the $75-175 price difference. Pentax will likely drop the price
    on it soon, so it will have a $650 street price (currently $725), to
    compete with the EOS-300D.

    Scharf-DCA Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast