Professional Web Applications Themes

Pentax istD-S Question - Photography

Hi all, Two questions actually. Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release on a tripod? Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with either the D or D-S versions of this camera? I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A which I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different in which case I'd be very grateful for your views Regards, ...

  1. #1

    Default Pentax istD-S Question

    Hi all,

    Two questions actually.

    Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release on
    a tripod?

    Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
    either the D or D-S versions of this camera?

    I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
    models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A which
    I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different in
    which case I'd be very grateful for your views

    Regards, Pete Smith.

    Pedro Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pentax istD-S Question

    In article <41f3d21c$0$16974$plus.net>, "Pedro"
    says...

    See if you can find a photo of the camera on line.

    If the photo shows a threaded hole in the shutter button, your problem is
    solved.

    It also should be listed in the cameras "specs." if there is a review.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  3. #3

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:39:11 -0000, Pedro wrote:

    Yes. It uses the same connection as the Canon 300D so use either the Pentax
    CS-205 or the Canon RS60-E3, whichever you prefer. Both work fine.

    Any flash designed for a Pentax. The inexpensive Vivitar works fine.

    Any Pentax lens will work on either the D or the DS. KA will allow all modes
    and features to be used. Pre-A lenses can be used in metered manual mode.

    --
    John Bean

    It is better to hide ignorance, but it is hard to do this when we relax over
    wine (Heraus)
    John Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for your suggestion. I have looked very closely at all that is
    available. Any clues are very well hidden. The Pentax website hasn't even a
    brochure yet. The istD brochure states that it can use their cable switch
    but no such information is available for the -S variant.

    I would really like to know what makes the D much more expensive than the
    D-S.
    "Larry" <dotnet> wrote in message

    > See if you can find a photo of the camera on line.
    >
    > If the photo shows a threaded hole in the shutter button, your problem is
    > solved.
    >
    > It also should be listed in the cameras "specs." if there is a review.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

  5. #5

    Excellent feedback, thank you.

    The Pentax website states that the original D variant can use their
    cableswitch but they make no mention of it for the D-S. Thanks for the info.

    With regard to your ring-flash suggestion, would that be the Macro 6000 AF
    (or some similar name), I have seen on one web site that it is not
    recommended for digital cameras. Any idea why? I can't think of a reason and
    that is the one I was considering to buy.

    All my lenses with the exception of my Tamron 500mm mirror are Pentax SMC or
    Takumar KA versions. Most of these have seen little use since the demise of
    my Super-A, a brilliant piece of engineering in my opinion, but suffered
    from technology for technology sake. Corrosion of internals is a big problem
    and I think mine has suffered in that respect; despite it's being stored in
    a warm and dry environment. I had considered having it repaired by Pentax
    but I want to go totally digital so it'll probably end up on eBay for
    spares. Thank you very much for your valued opinion.

    Regards, Peter Smith.

    "John Bean" <com> wrote in message

    > Yes. It uses the same connection as the Canon 300D so use either the
    > Pentax
    > CS-205 or the Canon RS60-E3, whichever you prefer. Both work fine.

    > Any flash designed for a Pentax. The inexpensive Vivitar works fine.

    > Any Pentax lens will work on either the D or the DS. KA will allow all
    > modes
    > and features to be used. Pre-A lenses can be used in metered manual mode.
    >

    > --
    > John Bean
    >
    > It is better to hide ignorance, but it is hard to do this when we relax
    > over
    > wine (Heraus)[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:07:21 -0000, Pedro wrote:

    Yes. With only the exception of Pentax (I think) all digital SLRs use a form
    of TTL flash control not compatible with their film bodies, so flashes need
    to be "digital" compatible.

    Pentax do have a "digital only" TTL system (P-TTL) but both the D and the DS
    will happily use plain TTL if that's what is offered. It works with any lens
    too, not just KA or newer.

    So: the Vivitar 6000AF for Pentax works just fine in TTL (not P-TTL) when
    used on a D/DS.

    When it comes to backward compatibility many manufacturers may "talk the
    talk" but only Pentax "walks the walk". If a lens was made for a Pentax, you
    can use it on a D/DS. If a flash was ever made for a Pentax, you can use it
    on a D/DS. If... But you get the drift :-)

    --
    John Bean

    To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so (Robert
    Orben)
    John Guest

  7. #7

    I have found this web site offering the 6000AF at a very good price but
    under the description there is a note stating that it is not suitable for
    digital cameras. I have requested further info but as yet had no reply. Any
    ideas why they might make this negative recommendation?
    Site is at
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1_103_10310&products_id =7922

    Pete.

    > Yes. With only the exception of Pentax (I think) all digital SLRs use a
    > form
    > of TTL flash control not compatible with their film bodies, so flashes
    > need
    > to be "digital" compatible.
    >
    > Pentax do have a "digital only" TTL system (P-TTL) but both the D and the
    > DS
    > will happily use plain TTL if that's what is offered. It works with any
    > lens
    > too, not just KA or newer.
    >
    > So: the Vivitar 6000AF for Pentax works just fine in TTL (not P-TTL) when
    > used on a D/DS.
    >
    > When it comes to backward compatibility many manufacturers may "talk the
    > talk" but only Pentax "walks the walk". If a lens was made for a Pentax,
    > you
    > can use it on a D/DS. If a flash was ever made for a Pentax, you can use
    > it
    > on a D/DS. If... But you get the drift :-)
    >

    > --
    > John Bean
    >
    > To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so (Robert
    > Orben)[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:04:31 -0000, Pedro wrote:

    No idea, they're salesmen not photographers. Looks like a bargain to me.

    --
    John Bean

    Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
    John Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too, especially as
    the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I guess Pentax isn't
    selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch
    and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can dust off all of my old KA-Series
    'bottles' and start taking real pictures again.

    Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

    > No idea, they're salesmen not photographers. Looks like a bargain to me.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean
    >
    > Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, Pedro wrote:

    I doubt you'll regret it. Just out of interest Speed Graphic sell the same
    flashgun for 92. They have a "not suitable for digital" warning against all
    versions *except* the Pentax one. So it seems they know what they're talking
    about :-)

    7dayshop seem to have dumped all Pentax flashguns, not just the ringflash.

    My pleasure.

    --
    John Bean

    I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on
    (Oscar Levant)
    John Guest

  11. #11

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, "Pedro" <nomail> wrote:

    You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
    happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
    EVERYTHING with it.

    Glenn

    Glenn Guest

  12. #12

    Glenn wrote:

    > You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
    > happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
    > EVERYTHING with it.
    >
    > Glenn[/ref]

    I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax lenses on
    my *ist DS.
    My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
    When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even in Av
    mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
    There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed related
    to open aperture.
    Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
    Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
    Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
    On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
    K-adaptor) :-)

    Willem

    Grrr Guest

  13. #13

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:34:08 +0100, Grrr wrote:

    >> You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
    >> happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
    >> EVERYTHING with it.
    >>
    >> Glenn[/ref]
    >
    > I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax lenses on
    > my *ist DS.
    > My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
    > When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even in Av
    > mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
    > There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed related
    > to open aperture.
    > Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
    > Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
    > Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
    > On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
    > K-adaptor) :-)[/ref]

    A/FA/J etc: set aperture on body. All modes work.

    Pre-A or A/FA etc not in "A" position: in M-mode set aperture ring, press
    AEL button to set matching shutter speed automatically. Other modes not
    available.

    There is no incompatibility that I'm aware of, it's supposed to work like
    this - did you check before you bought it?

    Out of interest, why do you need to use the aperture ring on your FA lens?

    --
    John Bean

    The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass (Martin
    Mull)
    John Guest

  14. #14

    Grrr <com> wrote:
    : I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax lenses on
    : my *ist DS.
    : My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
    : When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even in Av
    : mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.

    Something must be broken.

    The way it should work is this: Leave the lens on "A".
    Then go to Av setting, pick your aperture with the wheel.

    It should shut the lens down to that aperture when you take a pic.

    That's how it works on my DS, anyways!

    -Charles

    --
    Charles Robinson
    Minneapolis, MN

  15. #15

    "Charles Robinson" <com> wrote in message
    on
    He must have missed the menu item to enable aperture other than A.

    Darrell Guest

  16. #16

    John Bean wrote:

    >> I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax
    >> lenses on my *ist DS.
    >> My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
    >> When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even
    >> in Av mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
    >> There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed
    >> related to open aperture.
    >> Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
    >> Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
    >> Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
    >> On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
    >> K-adaptor) :-)[/ref]
    >
    > A/FA/J etc: set aperture on body. All modes work.[/ref]

    You're right of course, although I_did_Read The F*ing Manual I was
    forgetting for a moment
    that I have to set the aperture on the camera and not on the lens:-)

    See above, it's an honest mistake. Thanks for the reminder!

    Willemf

    Grrr Guest

  17. #17

    I got a reply from 7dayshop today re: my question about their "Not suitable
    for digital cameras" statement.

    7dayshop reply : it has something to do with the trigger voltage, but please
    call Vivitar UK to be 100% sure - hope this number helps - 01793 554258

    Beats me. I ordered the 6000AF anyway but it hasn't turned up yet. The istDS
    has though. It feels really good and my initial 'play' leaves me with the
    impression that it does everything my old Super-A could do . . only better.
    Auto bracketing works well and in low light the built-in flash is used to
    assist the auto-focus. I'm also quite pleased that Photoshop CS can handle
    the Pentax RAW file format. I had to download the latest plug-in to do it.

    All of my old KA lenses work fine and so does my AF280T flashgun in TTL
    mode. Even my old eyecup fits it. I did have to change the 'Using aperture
    ring' custom setting to 'permitted' so that I can use my Tamron SP500 Mirror
    lens (fixed aperture, f4 I think) which has an adaptall PK mount. At first
    sight it appeared that the mount was shorting out all of the electrical
    contacts on the body mounting ring. Placing a thin piece of paper between
    the lens mount and the body mount proved that theory because the shutter
    release worked when the paper was in place. . . then I read the manual . .
    ..now I don't need the piece of paper.

    Regards, Pete Smith.

    > I doubt you'll regret it. Just out of interest Speed Graphic sell the same
    > flashgun for 92. They have a "not suitable for digital" warning against
    > all
    > versions *except* the Pentax one. So it seems they know what they're
    > talking
    > about :-)
    >
    > 7dayshop seem to have dumped all Pentax flashguns, not just the ringflash.

    > My pleasure.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean
    >
    > I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything
    > on
    > (Oscar Levant)[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

  18. #18

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:48:30 +0100, "Grrr" <com> wrote:

    There is a bit of a learning curve here. I have already read the
    manual through twice and I know I am going to need to keep it handy.
    Last night I was experimenting with the white balance under an unusual
    light. It took a couple of tries (my fault) but the manual adjust
    worked great. You take an exposure on a white piece of paper and it
    determines how to adjust the white balance. Cool.

    Glenn

    Glenn Guest

  19. #19

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:26:32 -0000, Pedro wrote:

    Typical 7dayshop. Worse than no answer, a *wrong* answer! The DS has no
    voltage problems with *any* flash I know of, it's safe up to 450V ("like all
    Pentax cameras") according to the reply from an enquiry to Pentax Japan.

    I'm glad you RTFM and added that last bit to avoid the need for me to say
    "set MF" :-)

    The mirror lens will work in aperture priority too, which is an advantage.
    Any non-A lens will work full-aperture-only in Av mode.

    Sounds like another happy buyer! I should be on commission ;-)

    --
    John Bean

    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
    there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)
    John Guest

  20. #20

    Hi all,

    You might find this web page interesting (I did) and the link that details a
    Pentax users experience.

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    > Typical 7dayshop. Worse than no answer, a *wrong* answer! The DS has no
    > voltage problems with *any* flash I know of, it's safe up to 450V ("like
    > all
    > Pentax cameras") according to the reply from an enquiry to Pentax Japan.

    > I'm glad you RTFM and added that last bit to avoid the need for me to say
    > "set MF" :-)
    >
    > The mirror lens will work in aperture priority too, which is an advantage.
    > Any non-A lens will work full-aperture-only in Av mode.
    >
    > Sounds like another happy buyer! I should be on commission ;-)
    >
    > --
    > John Bean
    >
    > The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
    > there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)[/ref]

    Pedro Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast