Professional Web Applications Themes

Pentax K2 question. - Photography

are you thinking of Olympus OM series? did not know pentax ever hada shutter speed on the lens mount. B "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message news:vgsbrdipura391corp.supernews.com... > I'm really going to have to claw my way outa this fixation on Pentaxes.... > lol!! > > I seem to remember that the K2 had the shutter speed control around the lens > mount, so that one could focus and control aperture and shutter speed all > with the same fingers. Just looking (latest dilatory entertainment...) at > the selection of Pentax gear on EBay, and all the K2s there ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Pentax K2 question.

    are you thinking of Olympus OM series? did not know pentax ever hada
    shutter speed on the lens mount.

    "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message
    > I'm really going to have to claw my way outa this fixation on Pentaxes....
    > lol!!
    >
    > I seem to remember that the K2 had the shutter speed control around the
    lens
    > mount, so that one could focus and control aperture and shutter speed all
    > with the same fingers. Just looking (latest dilatory entertainment...) at
    > the selection of Pentax gear on EBay, and all the K2s there have the
    > shutter speed control in the normal place by the film advance lever.
    >
    > Am I dreaming, or what?
    >
    > Bill Tallman

    Bhup Guest

  2. #2

    >I seem to remember that the K2 had the shutter speed control around the lens
    >mount, so that one could focus and control aperture and shutter speed all
    >with the same fingers. Just looking (latest dilatory entertainment...) at
    >the selection of Pentax gear on EBay, and all the K2s there have the
    >shutter speed control in the normal place by the film advance lever.
    >
    >Am I dreaming, or what?
    You are not dreaming, but your memory is flawed. The K2 film speed setting is
    on a ring around the lens mount.

    Ed
    LEDMRVM Guest

  3. #3

    "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote:
    >I'm really going to have to claw my way outa this fixation on Pentaxes....
    >lol!!
    >
    >I seem to remember that the K2 had the shutter speed control around the lens
    >mount,
    Nope, that's the film speed setting. It gets sticky and difficult to
    move with age, but a clean and lube takes care of it. Other than that
    K2s seem to be very reliable.

    I got a chance a few years ago to pick up a near-mint K2 at a bargain
    price. I bought it with the intention of re-selling it at a profit but I
    ended up liking it so much I haven't been able to part with it.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

  4. #4

    The K2 film speed and exposure compensation rings
    are concentric to the lensmount.

    Both are difficult to see and set, though quite easy to change inadvertently.
    IMO these controls are of very poor design, not typical of Pentax.

    Excelsior, you fatheads!
    -Chris-

    ChrisPlatt Guest

  5. #5

    >Both are difficult to see and set, though quite easy to change inadvertently.
    >IMO these controls are of very poor design, not typical of Pentax.

    While I have inadverdently changed the exposure comp a couple of times, I have
    never had a problem with the film speed setting - based on a pair of K2's I
    have had since shortly after their advent.

    Ed
    LEDMRVM Guest

  6. #6

    When I got mine, I couldn't move the film speed setting ring. A
    (very)little lighter fluid between the ring and the body set it right,
    and I've had no problem since.

    Mark Roberts wrote:
    > "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm really going to have to claw my way outa this fixation on Pentaxes....
    >>lol!!
    >>
    >>I seem to remember that the K2 had the shutter speed control around the lens
    >>mount,
    >

    > Nope, that's the film speed setting. It gets sticky and difficult to
    > move with age, but a clean and lube takes care of it. Other than that
    > K2s seem to be very reliable.
    >
    > I got a chance a few years ago to pick up a near-mint K2 at a bargain
    > price. I bought it with the intention of re-selling it at a profit but I
    > ended up liking it so much I haven't been able to part with it.

    bill martin Guest

  7. #7

    William D. Tallman wrote:
    > I'm really going to have to claw my way outa this fixation on Pentaxes....
    yadayada...

    Hmmm... well, I used to have a friend that had Olympus OMxx cameras, so
    that's where I remember the shutter speed around the lens mount, and I was
    correct that something was there on the K2. Got them confused. Not too
    bad for decades ago.... <grin>

    And... Pentax and Olympus had their position for film speed and shutter
    speed reversed for the K2 - OMxx series. I get the bad response for the
    position on the Pentax; what is the consensus about how Olympus did it?

    Ah, just finally looked at the Nikkormats. Shutter speed indicator mark is
    that dot on the user's right side (viewer's left side) of the lens mount?
    Anyway, thanks for the memory nudges.. <grin>

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  8. #8

    In article <20030711203847.26692.00000243mb-m18.aol.com>,
    [email]chrisplattaol.com[/email] (ChrisPlatt) writes:

    > Still, a lousy design.
    Is it suited to mountaineering?

    --
    [email]petepetezilla.co.uk[/email]
    [url]http://www.petezilla.co.uk[/url]

    Peter Chant Guest

  9. #9

    Well.....Lousy's sort of a strong word. I personally prefer a knob for
    both exposure compensation and film speed, but I really don't have a
    great problem with the K2's arrangement. After all, I don't change film
    speed all that often and, as you said, exposure compensation's not hard
    to use. Most old cameras I've had were either missing something I wanted
    or had a "feature" I didn't like -- I just HATED changing the film in my
    old Nikon F. Never seemed to have a convenient place to put that
    dadgummed removeable back while I installed new film. But it was a GREAT
    camera; And so's the Pentax K2, despite the placement of the film speed
    setting ring. I guess if there weren't differences of opinion though,
    there'd only be a need for one camera :>)

    ChrisPlatt wrote:
    > You are indeed correct.
    >
    > The exposure compensation is far too easy to change,
    > and the film speed far too difficult.
    >
    > Still, a lousy design.
    >
    > Excelsior, you fatheads!
    > -Chris-