Professional Web Applications Themes

Pentax ME-Super Mirror Problem in Auto-Mode - Photography

Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The batteries check out fine. If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what is a reasonable cost for such ...

  1. #1

    Default Pentax ME-Super Mirror Problem in Auto-Mode

    Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not
    sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not
    for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto
    Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can
    be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works
    without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The
    batteries check out fine.

    If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what
    is a reasonable cost for such a repair? I would hate to spend too
    much, as the camera was so cheap to begin with, and it does seem to
    work in the Manual mode. Thanks!!

    Eric V.
    Chicago
    Eric V Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pentax ME-Super Mirror Problem in Auto-Mode

    [email]eejvphdaol.com[/email] (Eric V) wrote:
    >Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not
    >sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not
    >for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto
    >Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can
    >be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works
    >without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The
    >batteries check out fine.
    >
    >If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what
    >is a reasonable cost for such a repair? I would hate to spend too
    >much, as the camera was so cheap to begin with, and it does seem to
    >work in the Manual mode. Thanks!!

    It sounds like you have a sticky foam mirror bumper. This can quickly
    and easily be replaced by any competent camera repairer.

    I have recently purchased a large quantity of used Pentax gear dating
    from the 1970s and 1980s. All the camera bodies needed servicing.
    This should be done every 3-5 years if you are an amateur user, or
    every 1-2 years (depending on use) if you are a hard-working pro.

    Periodically, a service (often called a 'CLA' - clean, lubricate and
    adjust) should include replacement of mirror bumper foam and the felt
    light traps that seal out light that would otherwise enter between the
    camera back and the body. The foam and felt deteriorates more from
    age than from use, and tends to last about ten years.

    The ME Super is a fine camera body and a CLA will ensure it carries on
    working well for several years hence. You will also benefit from more
    accurate shutter speeds and therefore exposure.

    T P Guest

  3. #3

    In article <lh45hv89h6opub7vq5hj9kjsac506kim6i4ax.com>,
    T P <tpnospam.com> writes:
    > [email]eejvphdaol.com[/email] (Eric V) wrote:
    >
    > The ME Super is a fine camera body and a CLA will ensure it carries on
    > working well for several years hence. You will also benefit from more
    > accurate shutter speeds and therefore exposure.
    Where do people get these CLA's from. I've been quoted around
    70, to replace the body with a another s/h body from a dealer with
    a limited warrenty is not much more than that.

    --
    [email]petepetezilla.co.uk[/email]
    [url]http://www.petezilla.co.uk[/url]

    Peter Chant Guest

  4. #4

    This camera is worth spending the money to fix it. I own one, and the
    only trouble I experienced was after exposure to too much moisture. A
    cleaning fixed it up just fine; I doubt it ever had one at all! Cost
    about $100 CDN.

    jim h

    [url]http://www.jamesphotography.ca[/url]

    More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...

    On 13 Jul 2003 22:35:23 -0700, [email]eejvphdaol.com[/email] (Eric V) wrote:
    >Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not
    >sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not
    >for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto
    >Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can
    >be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works
    >without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The
    >batteries check out fine.
    >
    >If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what
    >is a reasonable cost for such a repair? I would hate to spend too
    >much, as the camera was so cheap to begin with, and it does seem to
    >work in the Manual mode. Thanks!!
    >
    > Eric V.
    > Chicago
    Jim Hutchison Guest

  5. #5

    It would seem to me to be another problem besides the foam if he has to set
    to 1/125 or Manual mode unless these settings cause extra force to pull the
    mirror off the foam.

    Still not a bad Idea to replace the foam even if the mirror sticks for some
    other reason.

    "T P" <tpnospam.com> wrote in message
    > [email]eejvphdaol.com[/email] (Eric V) wrote:
    >
    > >Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not
    > >sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not
    > >for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto
    > >Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can
    > >be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works
    > >without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The
    > >batteries check out fine.
    > >
    > >If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what
    > >is a reasonable cost for such a repair? I would hate to spend too
    > >much, as the camera was so cheap to begin with, and it does seem to
    > >work in the Manual mode. Thanks!!
    >

    > It sounds like you have a sticky foam mirror bumper. This can quickly
    > and easily be replaced by any competent camera repairer.
    >
    > I have recently purchased a large quantity of used Pentax gear dating
    > from the 1970s and 1980s. All the camera bodies needed servicing.
    > This should be done every 3-5 years if you are an amateur user, or
    > every 1-2 years (depending on use) if you are a hard-working pro.
    >
    > Periodically, a service (often called a 'CLA' - clean, lubricate and
    > adjust) should include replacement of mirror bumper foam and the felt
    > light traps that seal out light that would otherwise enter between the
    > camera back and the body. The foam and felt deteriorates more from
    > age than from use, and tends to last about ten years.
    >
    > The ME Super is a fine camera body and a CLA will ensure it carries on
    > working well for several years hence. You will also benefit from more
    > accurate shutter speeds and therefore exposure.

    jriegle Guest

  6. #6

    OK, just tried the camera again. Worked a few times at multiple
    apertures in auto mode, inside my house, then at f8, the mirror locked
    up, and the shutter remained open for about a minute, at which time
    the mirror also went down. Tried again at other apertures, same
    thing, shutter open, mirror up, released when I moved to the M
    setting.

    "headscratchernospamforme.net" <headscratchernospamforme.net> wrote in message news:<m1i5hv8hq9579hceorhi3f1eogqu1non424ax.com>. ..
    > On 13 Jul 2003 22:35:23 -0700, [email]eejvphdaol.com[/email] (Eric V) wrote:
    >
    > >Just got a used Pentax ME-Super, and am having a problem with it. Not
    > >sure when it has been cleaned/lubricated in the past, but probably not
    > >for a long time, if at all. In any case, when using it in the Auto
    > >Mode, the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures. It can
    > >be released when I move the dial to manual or 125x. The camera works
    > >without lockup in the Manual mode, or in 125x (Flash synch). The
    > >batteries check out fine.
    > >
    > >If you think the problem would be a cleaning/lubrication issue, what
    > >is a reasonable cost for such a repair? I would hate to spend too
    > >much, as the camera was so cheap to begin with, and it does seem to
    > >work in the Manual mode. Thanks!!
    > >
    > > Eric V.
    > > Chicago
    >
    > By "the mirror locks up episodically, at varying apertures", do you
    > mean it stays up for long exposure times, or it locks up and stays
    > even after the shutter has closed? Are you running your tests inside
    > or outdoors? What are the specific apertures and what is the film ISO
    > setting?
    >
    > headscratcher
    Eric V Guest