Professional Web Applications Themes

Perform Scalability test of Web Services - ASP.NET Web Services

Dear All, We have developed a WinForm application that calls WebServices for all database transactions. We would like to perform a scalability test of our WebServices (under IIS 6.0 Windows 20003 Server, .Net 1.1 sp1). Is there any white paper that will guide us to perform scalability test and arrive at a figure (requests/sec) the number of users after which we will have to have another Web Server. Are there good books that guide us to these figures and optimisation? Please help... TALIA Many regards Jack...

  1. #1

    Default Perform Scalability test of Web Services

    Dear All,
    We have developed a WinForm application that calls WebServices for
    all database transactions. We would like to perform a scalability test
    of our WebServices (under IIS 6.0 Windows 20003 Server, .Net 1.1 sp1).
    Is there any white paper that will guide us to perform scalability
    test and arrive at a figure (requests/sec) the number of users after
    which we will have to have another Web Server.
    Are there good books that guide us to these figures and optimisation?

    Please help...

    TALIA

    Many regards
    Jack
    Jack Wright Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Perform Scalability test of Web Services

    Jack,
    > We have developed a WinForm application that calls WebServices for
    > all database transactions. We would like to perform a scalability test
    > of our WebServices (under IIS 6.0 Windows 20003 Server, .Net 1.1 sp1).
    > Is there any white paper that will guide us to perform scalability
    > test and arrive at a figure (requests/sec) the number of users after
    > which we will have to have another Web Server.
    > Are there good books that guide us to these figures and optimisation?
    I've done this in the past by using Application Center Test to generate sets
    of SOAP calls to the webservice from a set of predefined data (in my case,
    we created the test cases and pulled the input data from a database).

    --
    Tomas Restrepo
    [email]tomasrmvps.org[/email]

    Tomas Restrepo \(MVP\) Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Tomas,
    Is this the best tool for getting Scalability figures? What about
    Mercury Load Runner? Is there any other tool too? Please help.

    Thanks & Regards
    Jack

  4. #4

    Jack,
    > Is this the best tool for getting Scalability figures?
    Well, it's very likely not the best, but it certainly does work.
    > What about
    > Mercury Load Runner? Is there any other tool too? Please help.
    I'm sure you can probably coerce any web load generation tool into using it
    for webservices as long as you can customize the request sent and you're not
    using something like WS-Security. As for the best, I'm afraid I don't know,
    since I haven't been on the lookout for a webservice-specific tool; mostly
    because what ACT does has been more than enough for me (I'm used to creating
    custom db-driven ACT scripts for this purpose, so that was not much of a
    problem for me).

    --
    Tomas Restrepo
    [email]tomasrmvps.org[/email]