Professional Web Applications Themes

performance difference in Webservice -'Normal' way - ASP.NET Web Services

Hi, I'm new to WebServices, and I'm doing some tests (with a small VB.NET-application) to know the performance-difference between a WebService and the 'normal'-way of getting data (just connecting directly with a SqlDataAdapter to the SQL Server). The WebMethod simply gives a DataSet back, and does exactly the same actions as the normal-Method does. The difference are enormous in my opinion: 1 record: WebService: 0,03125 seconds Normal: 0,0156 seconds ->only 50% of WebService 10 records: WebService: 0,0468 seconds Normal: 0,016 seconds -> only 33,33% of WebService 100 records: WebService: 0,125 seconds Normal: 0,0156 seconds -> only 12,5% of WebService 1000 ...

  1. #1

    Default performance difference in Webservice -'Normal' way

    Hi,

    I'm new to WebServices, and I'm doing some tests (with a small
    VB.NET-application) to know the performance-difference between a WebService
    and the 'normal'-way of getting data (just connecting directly with a
    SqlDataAdapter to the SQL Server). The WebMethod simply gives a DataSet
    back, and does exactly the same actions as the normal-Method does.

    The difference are enormous in my opinion:
    1 record:
    WebService: 0,03125 seconds
    Normal: 0,0156 seconds ->only 50% of WebService

    10 records:
    WebService: 0,0468 seconds
    Normal: 0,016 seconds -> only 33,33% of WebService

    100 records:
    WebService: 0,125 seconds
    Normal: 0,0156 seconds -> only 12,5% of WebService

    1000 records:
    WebService: 1,14 seconds
    Normal: 0,93 seconds -> only 8,22% of WebService

    How does this come? The webservice is even local! So I guess it will take
    much more time when it wil be on another Server...
    Is there a way to have a better performance? and why using WebServices if
    they score so bad in performance?

    Thanks a lot in advance for any hints etc

    Pieter

    DraguVaso Guest

  2. #2

    1. Do your tests in a loop 100 times. Or 1000 times. That will be more
    accurate.
    2. Web services take time because the request has to be packaged and sent.
    Data has to be serialized and deserialized. Requests have to be processed
    and responses sent. Even if it all on the same machine.

    But yes, calling a web service will always be slower then executing code
    directly. That is why you don't want to do it unless your application
    requires it.

    "DraguVaso" <pietercouckehotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to WebServices, and I'm doing some tests (with a small
    > VB.NET-application) to know the performance-difference between a
    > WebService
    > and the 'normal'-way of getting data (just connecting directly with a
    > SqlDataAdapter to the SQL Server). The WebMethod simply gives a DataSet
    > back, and does exactly the same actions as the normal-Method does.
    >
    > The difference are enormous in my opinion:
    > 1 record:
    > WebService: 0,03125 seconds
    > Normal: 0,0156 seconds ->only 50% of WebService
    >
    > 10 records:
    > WebService: 0,0468 seconds
    > Normal: 0,016 seconds -> only 33,33% of WebService
    >
    > 100 records:
    > WebService: 0,125 seconds
    > Normal: 0,0156 seconds -> only 12,5% of WebService
    >
    > 1000 records:
    > WebService: 1,14 seconds
    > Normal: 0,93 seconds -> only 8,22% of WebService
    >
    > How does this come? The webservice is even local! So I guess it will take
    > much more time when it wil be on another Server...
    > Is there a way to have a better performance? and why using WebServices if
    > they score so bad in performance?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for any hints etc
    >
    > Pieter

    Marina Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks!
    And isn't there any way to to speed things up a little bit? The fact is: in
    my case it could be helpfull, because it should be used by our own people
    (Windows Forms application), and give a consultancy-option to our Clients
    (Web interface).

    But why are people giving such an importance to XML Webservices? I know some
    big software-companies that pass everything by a WebServices, even local
    Windows forms applications. I was alreaddy sceptic about the technique, but
    now I am even more sceptic to use it... :-/

    "DraguVaso" <pietercouckehotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to WebServices, and I'm doing some tests (with a small
    > VB.NET-application) to know the performance-difference between a
    > WebService
    > and the 'normal'-way of getting data (just connecting directly with a
    > SqlDataAdapter to the SQL Server). The WebMethod simply gives a DataSet
    > back, and does exactly the same actions as the normal-Method does.
    >
    > The difference are enormous in my opinion:
    > 1 record:
    > WebService: 0,03125 seconds
    > Normal: 0,0156 seconds ->only 50% of WebService
    >
    > 10 records:
    > WebService: 0,0468 seconds
    > Normal: 0,016 seconds -> only 33,33% of WebService
    >
    > 100 records:
    > WebService: 0,125 seconds
    > Normal: 0,0156 seconds -> only 12,5% of WebService
    >
    > 1000 records:
    > WebService: 1,14 seconds
    > Normal: 0,93 seconds -> only 8,22% of WebService
    >
    > How does this come? The webservice is even local! So I guess it will take
    > much more time when it wil be on another Server...
    > Is there a way to have a better performance? and why using WebServices if
    > they score so bad in performance?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for any hints etc
    >
    > Pieter

    DraguVaso Guest

  4. #4

    DraguVaso wrote:
    [snip]
    > But why are people giving such an importance to XML Webservices? I
    Because it has an X in its name :-(

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton Guest

  5. #5

    Do you remember when everybody was talking about IA engines ;-) I meant that
    "hot stuff" is discussed likely more without necessarily reflecting real
    use.

    You could try a monitoring tool to make sure it goes into serializing/http
    transmission/deserializing. By constrast ADO.NET uses the native SQL Server
    protocol.

    For now it doesn't look that bad to me. IMO the real question is how much
    often do you need to call this ?

    It greatly depends on the kind of application you are writing (for some
    applications you could even use a "checkout", "checkin" model that would
    allow to work locally a while before making new data available).

    In any case you are not forced to use web services if this is not needed...
    --

    Patrice

    "Andrew Morton" <akmin-press.co.uk.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
    > DraguVaso wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > But why are people giving such an importance to XML Webservices? I
    >
    > Because it has an X in its name :-(
    >
    > Andrew

    Patrice Guest

  6. #6

    hi
    My opinin is different time is not at all issue for today's high speed
    processor.
    you can compromise time by compatible hardware.but in future if you need to
    built onother application for your company then you can use existing web
    services and devlopment will be faster

    --
    Have A Good Day,
    Mahesh,

    "DraguVaso" wrote:
    > Thanks!
    > And isn't there any way to to speed things up a little bit? The fact is: in
    > my case it could be helpfull, because it should be used by our own people
    > (Windows Forms application), and give a consultancy-option to our Clients
    > (Web interface).
    >
    > But why are people giving such an importance to XML Webservices? I know some
    > big software-companies that pass everything by a WebServices, even local
    > Windows forms applications. I was alreaddy sceptic about the technique, but
    > now I am even more sceptic to use it... :-/
    >

    > "DraguVaso" <pietercouckehotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm new to WebServices, and I'm doing some tests (with a small
    > > VB.NET-application) to know the performance-difference between a
    > > WebService
    > > and the 'normal'-way of getting data (just connecting directly with a
    > > SqlDataAdapter to the SQL Server). The WebMethod simply gives a DataSet
    > > back, and does exactly the same actions as the normal-Method does.
    > >
    > > The difference are enormous in my opinion:
    > > 1 record:
    > > WebService: 0,03125 seconds
    > > Normal: 0,0156 seconds ->only 50% of WebService
    > >
    > > 10 records:
    > > WebService: 0,0468 seconds
    > > Normal: 0,016 seconds -> only 33,33% of WebService
    > >
    > > 100 records:
    > > WebService: 0,125 seconds
    > > Normal: 0,0156 seconds -> only 12,5% of WebService
    > >
    > > 1000 records:
    > > WebService: 1,14 seconds
    > > Normal: 0,93 seconds -> only 8,22% of WebService
    > >
    > > How does this come? The webservice is even local! So I guess it will take
    > > much more time when it wil be on another Server...
    > > Is there a way to have a better performance? and why using WebServices if
    > > they score so bad in performance?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot in advance for any hints etc
    > >
    > > Pieter

    MAHESH MANDHARE Guest

  7. #7

    What do you mean with "compatbile hardware"? :-)
    Will my Webservice have much better performance when turning on a real
    server (better processor, more ram) than my local pc? Or will the
    network-than consume more?

    DraguVaso Guest

  8. #8

    hi,

    Try to understand my point ,if you run the same code on 64 bit machin
    performance will always be greater that 32 bit machin isn.t it?
    My point is this doesn't affects applications that much than what web
    service gives us i.e. ability to built destributed application with fare ease
    and less complexity.
    there is another way also . net remoting which gives better performance but
    it is platform specific.if you are building distributed applications
    ondifferent platform then there is no choice for you. you can not use
    'normal'-way of getting data.
    Thats benifeet of webmethods\

    --

    "DraguVaso" wrote:
    > What do you mean with "compatbile hardware"? :-)
    > Will my Webservice have much better performance when turning on a real
    > server (better processor, more ram) than my local pc? Or will the
    > network-than consume more?
    >
    > "MAHESH MANDHARE" <mahesh_dotnetinfoyahoo.co.in> wrote in message
    > > hi
    > > My opinin is different time is not at all issue for today's high speed
    > > processor.
    > > you can compromise time by compatible hardware.but in future if you need
    > > built onother application for your company then you can use existing web
    > > services and devlopment will be faster
    > >
    > > --
    > > Have A Good Day,
    > > Mahesh,
    > > [email]Maheshmandhareyahoo.co.in[/email]
    > >

    > > "DraguVaso" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > And isn't there any way to to speed things up a little bit? The fact is:
    > in
    > > > my case it could be helpfull, because it should be used by our own
    > people
    > > > (Windows Forms application), and give a consultancy-option to our
    > Clients
    > > > (Web interface).
    > > >
    > > > But why are people giving such an importance to XML Webservices? I know
    > some
    > > > big software-companies that pass everything by a WebServices, even local
    > > > Windows forms applications. I was alreaddy sceptic about the technique,
    > but
    > > > now I am even more sceptic to use it... :-/
    > > >

    > > > "DraguVaso" <pietercouckehotmail.com> wrote in message

    > DataSet

    > take
    > if

    MAHESH MANDHARE Guest

  9. #9

    Mahesh,

    > Try to understand my point ,if you run the same code on 64 bit machin
    > performance will always be greater that 32 bit machin isn.t it?
    No in my opinion is an application always as fast as the smallest part of
    the pipe.

    With a webservice that is to day the transport of the data.

    Because the fact that the format using it direct is not the same as using a
    webservice, will there always be a difference. For that are no absolute
    figurs to give, because with one active user on a 1Gb Ethernet Lan, that
    will be much quicker than with 100 users on a 2Mb Ethernet Lan.

    In my opinion has the speed always to be in a way that it is for the user
    comfortable. To get it in one milliseconds or 500 millisecond is mostly not
    important because the user will normally not see that (mostly is with a sent
    or get of data a natural restpoint of the usere involved, so it can be even
    take some more time until maximum 3 seconds before there is a wait text
    needed).

    I hope that this gives an idea.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert Guest

  10. #10

    etet

    Posted At: Friday, July 01, 2005 12:31 PM
    Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    Conversation: performance difference in Webservice -'Normal' way

    aaa Guest