Professional Web Applications Themes

Perl? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm new to DreamWeaver - was previously using HTML - KIT (free). I have a site that has some .cgi files written in Perl. DW doesn't seem to recognize ..cgi or .pl files. I have assigned HTML - Kit as the editor for these file types, but I really would prefer to have only 1 editor open, and don't plan on using (and learning) PHP, ColdFusion or anything else. Learning to use DW will be enough for right now. Any suggestions? Extensions to DW? I have searched, but haven't found anything yet. Thanks, Blair...

  1. #1

    Default Perl?

    I'm new to DreamWeaver - was previously using HTML - KIT (free). I have a
    site that has some .cgi files written in Perl. DW doesn't seem to recognize
    ..cgi or .pl files. I have assigned HTML - Kit as the editor for these file
    types, but I really would prefer to have only 1 editor open, and don't plan
    on using (and learning) PHP, ColdFusion or anything else. Learning to use
    DW will be enough for right now.

    Any suggestions? Extensions to DW? I have searched, but haven't found
    anything yet.

    Thanks,
    Blair

    Blair Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Perl?

    Blair:

    EDIT | Preferences > File Types/Editors > add 'cgi' and 'pl' to the list....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Blair" <blaircarney> wrote in message
    > I'm new to DreamWeaver - was previously using HTML - KIT (free). I have a
    > site that has some .cgi files written in Perl. DW doesn't seem to
    recognize
    > .cgi or .pl files. I have assigned HTML - Kit as the editor for these
    file
    > types, but I really would prefer to have only 1 editor open, and don't
    plan
    > on using (and learning) PHP, ColdFusion or anything else. Learning to use
    > DW will be enough for right now.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Extensions to DW? I have searched, but haven't found
    > anything yet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Blair

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Murray. I added .cgi to the list "open in code view". That lets me
    open, edit and create the .cgi files in DW, but doesn't give me the nice
    color-coing of the code that I get in the free prouct HTML-Kit. Is there a
    way to get this is DW? Perl is such a popular language, that I can't
    believe that there isn't.

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Blair:
    >
    > EDIT | Preferences > File Types/Editors > add 'cgi' and 'pl' to the
    list....

    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Blair" <blaircarney> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to DreamWeaver - was previously using HTML - KIT (free). I have
    > > site that has some .cgi files written in Perl. DW doesn't seem to
    > recognize
    > > .cgi or .pl files. I have assigned HTML - Kit as the editor for these
    > file
    > > types, but I really would prefer to have only 1 editor open, and don't
    > plan
    > > on using (and learning) PHP, ColdFusion or anything else. Learning to
    use
    > > DW will be enough for right now.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Extensions to DW? I have searched, but haven't found
    > > anything yet.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Blair

    Blair Guest

  4. #4

    I have a
    > site that has some .cgi files written in Perl. DW doesn't seem to recognize
    > .cgi or .pl files.
    > Blair
    If you want to edit the files in dreamweaver--
    1) see this technote- on adding file extension to dreamweaver. And adding
    those same file extensions to the FTPExtensions list, so the files are
    uploaded in correct ASCII ftp mode.
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/doents/add_ext_mx.htm[/url]

    add them to the text category. They may already be there- but that's where
    to look.

    Also add any file extensions to the FTPExtensions file that you won't be
    opening- but will need to upload. Such as .dat or .lib or .cnt or .whatever

    2) in dw preferences, File Types and Editors, remove the other editors (or
    deselect any you've set as Primary)

    3) in dw preferences, code format- set the linefeed to be the linefeed of
    your HOSTING. Set linewrap to wrap at the max, 1024 characters.
    Assuming a linux host- you have to set to Unix linefeeds and prevent line
    wrapping or the scripts will be munged and you'll get 500 errors any time
    you touch a script in DMX.

    4) If you need to chmod the files- visit the mm exchange (help menu) and get
    the "Set Permissions" extension. It's old, but works fine in DMX

    after all that though- I still prefer to use a good text editor and FTP
    client when working on Perl scripts, and don't open them in DMX.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest