Professional Web Applications Themes

Perl Tk vs Java Swing - PERL Modules

In article <d3a7a97fafe0879879f4ac380e45a27flocalhost.talkab outprogramming.com>, pnguruji <pguruprasadlucent.com> wrote: >>Before we go deeper into this, I recommend pnguruji detail >what >"portability" means to him, or, better, what his specific requirements >are. > >I just wanted to know for every perl module in CPAN, do we have an >equivalent ppm package for windows. > >Regards, >Guru > >PS: I guess all the perl modules in CPAN are for only unix platforms and >not for any other OS. > Ah! There are at least a couple of confusions afoot. When you first wrote, I, and at least a few other readers, thought your remarks ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Perl Tk vs Java Swing

    In article <d3a7a97fafe0879879f4ac380e45a27flocalhost.talkab outprogramming.com>,
    pnguruji <pguruprasadlucent.com> wrote:
    >>Before we go deeper into this, I recommend pnguruji detail >what
    >"portability" means to him, or, better, what his specific requirements
    >are.
    >
    >I just wanted to know for every perl module in CPAN, do we have an
    >equivalent ppm package for windows.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Guru
    >
    >PS: I guess all the perl modules in CPAN are for only unix platforms and
    >not for any other OS.

    Ah! There are at least a couple of confusions afoot.
    When you first wrote, I, and at least a few other
    readers, thought your remarks had to do only with
    Perl/Tk and modules directly related to it. It now
    appears you have questions and concerns about CPAN as
    a whole. I'm cross-posting this thread to clpm.

    It is not true that "all the perl modules in CPAN are
    for only unix platforms ..." It is a historical fact
    that much of the best Perl work has emphasized Unix;
    however, I know that when I go to CPAN, and have a re-
    quirement for portability to Windows, my first
    expectation is that what I find will work without in-
    cident under Windows.

    Apparently you've had unpleasant experience configuring
    CPAN modules (having to do with SAX?) for Windows
    installation. That happens occasionally. For the most
    part, though, CPAN just works. If you can describe a
    specific problem you're having, my guess is that some-
    one will volunteer to help you through it.

    It's also curious to me that you appear to believe that
    everything in Java just works, on all platforms, with-
    out incident. I can assure you that many of us have
    experience to the contrary (anyone else here still in
    recovery from his last CLASSPATH encounter?).

    I summarize: I'm confused about what you want. Else-
    where you write that you haven't used Java, perhaps not
    at all. You appear to be asking whether you should
    base your project on Java or Perl, although you have
    little experience with either. It's essentially point-
    less for anyone else to say; there are too many
    unknowns. If *I* were doing your project, I'm not sure
    which I'd use, because I simply don't understand the
    requirements adequately. In isolation, I'm likely to
    choose Perl (including Perl/Tk).

    If you have specific symptoms of your encounters with
    CPAN you can describe, you're likely to receive help.
    To write generalizations like, "CPAN modules don't
    work under Windows" is likely to gain you only responses
    of the form, "Yes they do." Again, I'm not sure what
    you want.

    You wrote
    I just wanted to know for every perl module
    in CPAN, do we have an equivalent ppm
    package for windows.
    I don't understand the proposition. I *think* it's
    false. I think the corresponding ones for Java are
    false, too.
    Cameron Laird Guest

  2. #2

    In article <_oU3d.4633$zA3.976415twister.southeast.rr.com> ,
    H. Wade Minter <minterlunenburg.org> wrote:
    >pnguruji <pguruprasadlucent.com> wrote:
    >>>I wonder what "installing necessary packages in perl/tk was
    >>>an issue" meant to pnguruji, particularly in contrast to >Java.
    >>
    >> I didn't want to be arrogant but i want to say that it took me half a day
    >> to setup the environment. I had to install half a dozen dependent packages
    >> for the SAX module to work and then start my development. One more weird
    >> thing is that i had to made one or two line changes in the Makefile of
    >> each module to get it compiled in my Solaris 9 box.
    >>
    >> There were some more installation issues (which i don't remember now!) and
    >> finally i gave up and installed the same packages in Windows (this time i
    >> had to download it from activeperl website) in a fairly less time.
    >
    >If you're developing for your target platform (ie if you're developing on
    >Windows, and your users will all be on Windows), you can use something like
    >PAR ([url]http://par.perl.org/[/url]) to bundle your application and all of its
    >required modules into a single .exe file. Then you distribute the .exe to
    >your users, and they don't have to worry about tracking down and installing
    >all of the modules. Makes everything very easy and consistent.
    >
    >--Wade
    I suspect there are language issues afoot; I haven't
    thought you "arrogant", so I wonder what you intend
    by that.

    It sounds as though there are issues with SAX or its
    dependencies. I haven't used those lately with Perl,
    but, the last time I did, they all installed flaw-
    lessly the first time for the several platforms I
    required at the time. I'm sorry to hear that they're
    not in as good shape now, and that you had to struggle
    so.

    In general, no, you're not supposed to have to tinker
    with Makefiles to get things going. Are you familiar
    with the CPAN module? Maybe it will help smooth your
    progress.

    Installation can be frustrating. I can assure you
    that Java has its own installation issues.

    I'm not sure what point you're making or question you
    have. It doesn't appear to be specific to Perl/Tk,
    so I'm crossing this into clpm.

    There are, by the way, plenty of employees at Lucent
    with successful Perl experience. Perhaps it would
    help to talk things over with some of them.
    Cameron Laird Guest

  3. #3

    In article <cipvbp$4j91onews.rockwellcollins.com>,
    Michael Carman <mjcarmanmchsi.com> wrote:
    Cameron Laird Guest