Professional Web Applications Themes

permissions on partition? - FreeBSD

Hello, I have a FAT partition on ad0s3 that I am sharing with Windows. For one reason or another everything on this partition is owned by root:wheel. I can't change the permissions to any files on this partition. This is what I have in devfs.conf: own ad0s3 brian:operator perm ad0s3 0660 Is this correct? How can I make it so that files on this partition are owned by the 'brian' user? Thanks in advance /Brian...

  1. #1

    Default permissions on partition?

    Hello, I have a FAT partition on ad0s3 that I am sharing with Windows.
    For one reason or another everything on this partition is owned by
    root:wheel. I can't change the permissions to any files on this
    partition. This is what I have in devfs.conf:
    own ad0s3 brian:operator
    perm ad0s3 0660

    Is this correct? How can I make it so that files on this partition are
    owned by the 'brian' user?

    Thanks in advance

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: permissions on partition?

    "Brian John" <com> writes:

    There are several approaches described in the manual for mount_msdosfs(8).

    Changing the permissions on the mount point would probably be the easiest.
    Lowell Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Re: permissions on partition?

    > "Brian John" <com> writes:
    >
    > There are several approaches described in the manual for mount_msdosfs(8).
    >
    > Changing the permissions on the mount point would probably be the easiest.
    > __[/ref]
    When I try to change the permissions on the mount point this is what happens:
    # chown brian:operator /shared
    chown: /shared: Invalid argument

    This is the same thing that happens when I try to change permissions on
    any files on the partition. Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks

    /Brian
    Brian Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:44:21 -0600 (CST)
    "Brian John" <com> wrote:

    > > There are several approaches described in the manual for
    > > mount_msdosfs(8).
    > >
    > > Changing the permissions on the mount point would probably be the
    > > easiest.__[/ref]
    > When I try to change the permissions on the mount point this is what
    > happens:# chown brian:operator /shared
    > chown: /shared: Invalid argument
    >
    > This is the same thing that happens when I try to change permissions
    > on any files on the partition. Am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > /Brian
    >[/ref]

    Hello,

    Have you tried changing the permissions of the directory when the MS-DOS
    filesystem is not mounted, and after that mount it?

    Best Regards,
    Ale
    Alejandro Guest