Professional Web Applications Themes

Permissions wrong on newly created file - SCO

I have two systems unrelated to each other with the same problem. Both systems are running 5.0.5 and have RS505A patch loaded. At the beginning of the month, a user will log into a certain program. If an error occurs while running the program, a log file is created automatically and the ownership and group are associated to the user. The permissions are set to 644 on the file. Once the file is created, other users that have errors occur in the same program will automatically update the log. With the permissions being incorrect, this can't happen and causes a ...

  1. #1

    Default Permissions wrong on newly created file

    I have two systems unrelated to each other with the same problem.
    Both systems are running 5.0.5 and have RS505A patch loaded. At the
    beginning of the month, a user will log into a certain program. If an
    error occurs while running the program, a log file is created
    automatically and the ownership and group are associated to the user.
    The permissions are set to 644 on the file. Once the file is created,
    other users that have errors occur in the same program will
    automatically update the log. With the permissions being incorrect,
    this can't happen and causes a core file to be created. I've checked
    all the users and the umask settings are all set to 0. I'm not
    trained in Unix and I've had to learn as I earn. Any suggestions as
    to what I else I can check? Thanks!
    Ben Phillips Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Permissions wrong on newly created file

    Ben Phillips typed (on Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:04:25PM -0700):
    | I have two systems unrelated to each other with the same problem.
    | Both systems are running 5.0.5 and have RS505A patch loaded. At the
    | beginning of the month, a user will log into a certain program. If an
    | error occurs while running the program, a log file is created
    | automatically and the ownership and group are associated to the user.
    | The permissions are set to 644 on the file. Once the file is created,
    | other users that have errors occur in the same program will
    | automatically update the log. With the permissions being incorrect,
    | this can't happen and causes a core file to be created. I've checked
    | all the users and the umask settings are all set to 0. I'm not
    | trained in Unix and I've had to learn as I earn. Any suggestions as
    | to what I else I can check? Thanks!

    Does this mysterious "certain program" create the log file -- with
    permissions 644 --, and then change its ownership to that of the
    invoking user? Chown (chgrp) will change owner (group) of its
    arguments, but do NOT change the permissions of a file.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  3. #3

    Jean-Pierre Radley <jprjpr.com> wrote in message news:<20030709212821.GC4962jpradley.jpr.com>...
    > Ben Phillips typed (on Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:04:25PM -0700):
    > | I have two systems unrelated to each other with the same problem.
    > | Both systems are running 5.0.5 and have RS505A patch loaded. At the
    > | beginning of the month, a user will log into a certain program. If an
    > | error occurs while running the program, a log file is created
    > | automatically and the ownership and group are associated to the user.
    > | The permissions are set to 644 on the file. Once the file is created,
    > | other users that have errors occur in the same program will
    > | automatically update the log. With the permissions being incorrect,
    > | this can't happen and causes a core file to be created. I've checked
    > | all the users and the umask settings are all set to 0. I'm not
    > | trained in Unix and I've had to learn as I earn. Any suggestions as
    > | to what I else I can check? Thanks!
    >
    > Does this mysterious "certain program" create the log file -- with
    > permissions 644 --, and then change its ownership to that of the
    > invoking user? Chown (chgrp) will change owner (group) of its
    > arguments, but do NOT change the permissions of a file.
    The program was created by the company where I'm employed.
    Unfortunately, nobody I've spoken to can confirm how exactly the log
    file is created, but under our functional systems the file appears to
    be created with permissions of 666, which is what we need. At this
    point I need more information from our programmers and I'm going to
    have to wait to hear back from them.
    Ben Phillips Guest

  4. #4

    On 9 Jul 2003 14:04:25 -0700, [email]celticskyhawkhotmail.com[/email] (Ben Phillips)
    wrote:
    >trained in Unix and I've had to learn as I earn. Any suggestions as
    >to what I else I can check? Thanks!
    umask

    Stefan Marquardt Guest

  5. #5

    Stefan Marquardt <erase-this.stefan.marquardthagebau.de> wrote in message news:<3mjsgvk9699e19b6jmrvoccs2bqu9lgr2v4ax.com>. ..
    > On 9 Jul 2003 14:04:25 -0700, [email]celticskyhawkhotmail.com[/email] (Ben Phillips)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >trained in Unix and I've had to learn as I earn. Any suggestions as
    > >to what I else I can check? Thanks!
    >
    > umask
    As I doented in the original post, the umask settings have been
    checked and are correct.
    Ben Phillips Guest