Professional Web Applications Themes

Petition for Safari tabbed-browsing - Mac Networking

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:49:56 -0500, Carlo Coggi wrote (in message <1fohopb.x86ffsycukh7N%noemailforme.com>): > [url]http://www.petitiononline.com/safaritb/petition.html[/url] > > Nearly 2,000 signatures already. I've been following the various discussions regarding tabbed browsing and am still not sure what the great benefit would be over what Safari currently can do. With Safari I can click on a link and have the result appear either in the current window or in a new window which can be made to appear either in front of or in back of the current window. Any of the windows, regardless of where they are positioned in the layer, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Petition for Safari tabbed-browsing

    On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:49:56 -0500, Carlo Coggi wrote
    (in message <1fohopb.x86ffsycukh7N%noemailforme.com>):
    > [url]http://www.petitiononline.com/safaritb/petition.html[/url]
    >
    > Nearly 2,000 signatures already.
    I've been following the various discussions regarding tabbed browsing and am
    still not sure what the great benefit would be over what Safari currently can
    do.

    With Safari I can click on a link and have the result appear either in the
    current window or in a new window which can be made to appear either in front
    of or in back of the current window. Any of the windows, regardless of where
    they are positioned in the layer, can be concurrently loading. At any time I
    can switch between the multiplicity of open windows by pointing and clicking
    on the wanted selection in the "Window" menu in the system menu bar. The
    items in the Window menu use the page titles that appear at the top of each
    of the currently active windows. The title also informs me if any window is
    in a state of still loading. All of this ability to switch between multiple
    windows is available via a single entry point from the menubar.

    Having not used a so-called "tabbed" browser, I'm puzzled as to how the
    switching facilities provided by tabs are better than what is already
    provided in Safari. It would seem, at least to me, that there would be a
    disadvantage in that screen real estate which could be of possible benefit,
    providing more space for the page being presented, would be diminished.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James L. Ryan Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4

    In article <0001HW.BB3F8BC9004F0A6DF0284600news.earthlink.ne t>,
    James L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:49:56 -0500, Carlo Coggi wrote
    > (in message <1fohopb.x86ffsycukh7N%noemailforme.com>):
    >
    > > [url]http://www.petitiononline.com/safaritb/petition.html[/url]
    > >
    > > Nearly 2,000 signatures already.
    >
    > I've been following the various discussions regarding tabbed browsing and am
    > still not sure what the great benefit would be over what Safari currently can
    > do.
    Is this some kind of flashback or something? Safari *does* tabbed
    browsing already. I don't use it myself, but it's there.

    Jim
    Jim Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

  7. #7

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 1:22:19 -0400, Carlo Coggi wrote
    (in message <1fydfv9.129i51d1t330owN%noemailforme.com>):
    > On January 8th, Safari did not have tabbed browsing. It HAS had it for a
    > few months now. Looks like you have not been following those discussions
    > very carefully, James.
    Last night I had an "oops" and somehow a bunch of "queued" messages that I
    didn't even know still existed in my newsreader got posted. Since it first
    became available in the Safari beta I first experimented with and then became
    accustomed to tabbed browsing and now think that its absence would be a
    strong impediment to my browsing.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James L. Ryan Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

  10. #10

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 1:37:11 -0400, Jim wrote
    (in message <nunya-2764E0.0136112007200328-71.newscene.com>):
    > Is this some kind of flashback or something? Safari *does* tabbed
    > browsing already. I don't use it myself, but it's there.
    See my response to Carlo Coggi in this same thread where I explain how I
    inadvertantly ended up reposting some very old comments. That from a current
    user of Safari's tabbed browsing.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James L. Ryan Guest

  11. #11