Professional Web Applications Themes

Phantom CFIDE folder? - Coldfusion Server Administration

Hi, We are running CFMX 7 with 4 or 5 JRUN servers and about 10 websites on a certain box. We have already IP restricted access to the CFIDE and cfdocs folders on the Default Website. The problem is we can still visit [url]http://website.com/CFIDE/administration/enter.cfm[/url] from the outside. That particular website has its own site in IIS, and that site does not show CFIDE at all. I even exported that website to an XML file and CFIDE is not found in the XML anywhere. How can we IP restrict access to CFIDE folder for *all* websites, when only the default website ...

  1. #1

    Default Phantom CFIDE folder?

    Hi,

    We are running CFMX 7 with 4 or 5 JRUN servers and about 10 websites on a
    certain box. We have already IP restricted access to the CFIDE and cfdocs
    folders on the Default Website.

    The problem is we can still visit
    [url]http://website.com/CFIDE/administration/enter.cfm[/url] from the outside. That
    particular website has its own site in IIS, and that site does not show CFIDE
    at all. I even exported that website to an XML file and CFIDE is not found in
    the XML anywhere.

    How can we IP restrict access to CFIDE folder for *all* websites, when only
    the default website shows CFIDE in the IIS Manager?

    Do I need to make a new virtual directory under each site named CFIDE just so
    I can IP restrict it? If that is the case, we have 5+ CFIDE folders on the
    server, basically one for each JRun server and also the
    C:\inetpub\wwwroot\CFIDE folder... How would I know which path to use for the
    new CFIDE virtual directory?

    What is weird is I made a 'test.txt' in every single CFIDE/administration
    folder I could find, which contained what path that test.txt was in, but when I
    try to visit [url]http://website.com/CFIDE/administration/test.txt[/url] it doesn't come
    up.

    Thanks for any insight,
    Jeremy

    Sadus69 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Phantom CFIDE folder?

    You really should not restricted the whole CFIDE folder like that. The moment
    your developers try to use CFFORM it's going to break (amoung other things).

    Two options.

    In your web server restrict the CFIDE/administrator folder by IP. Unless
    something in your network is causing you to lose your source IP addresses this
    will work the best. Don't forget to deal with the AdminAPI folder too. You
    will need to deal with this in each virtual web site that has a CFIDE virtual
    mapping.

    -or-

    Delete CFIDE/administrator (and adminAPI) and put them somewhere else leaving
    CFIDE alone.

    Actually, there's a third option. Run in J2EE mode. Then you'd access the
    administrator by a port number instead of going through IIS. Delete
    cfide/administrator (and adminAPI) from your web server's copy of CFIDE.

    Also, cfdocs has no business being on production servers. Get rid of it.

    On our one server that is a CF standard server, I don't block by IP. I set
    NTFS permissions on CFIDE/administrator (I deleted adminAPI). Much easier to
    deal with I think.

    ke4pym Guest

  3. #3

    [q]Originally posted by: ke4pym
    You will need to deal with this in each virtual web site that has a CFIDE
    virtual mapping.
    [/q]

    Thanks for the info. That is my problem though: in IIS, there is no CFIDE
    virtual directory under most sites, yet those sites still bring up the CFIDE.
    Does this mean I need to create a virtual directory just so I can restrict it?
    Why is IIS letting CFIDE come up when the site does not have a CFIDE virtual
    directory?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

    s6a9d6u9s Guest

  4. #4

    Look at your file system. Find the directory that hosts the root level of one
    of your web sites. Does it have a CFIDE folder in it?

    You only need one CFIDE folder per machine.

    webroot
    CFIDE
    SITE1
    SITE2

    And so on. Then, in each virtual server make sure you've got a virtual
    directory over to the webroot\cfide folder.

    ke4pym Guest

  5. #5

    Hey,

    The web root does have a CFIDE, but we also have several other CFIDE folders
    under each of the various JRUN servers in use. So even wiht multiple JRUN
    servers you just need a single CFIDE? I wasn't sure if a particular website was
    using a specific JRUN server if I needed the CFIDE virtual directory to point
    to that JRUN server's CFIDE folder, or if they could all be pointed at the one
    in the web root?

    s6a9d6u9s Guest