Professional Web Applications Themes

phantom fonts - Adobe Indesign Windows

This topic has been up on the boards before, but I didn't see any recent postings. When we upgraded to InDesign 2.0 last year, we converted all our Pagemaker files over. On every file, we would always get a font substitution warning when we opened it in InDesign thereafter. The font in question is one that no longer exists on our network. Doing a find font did not solve the problem. We scoured all the styles, masterpages, etc. and finally ended up copying and pasting the content of all our files into newly built ID templates to get rid of ...

  1. #1

    Default phantom fonts

    This topic has been up on the boards before, but I didn't see any recent postings.

    When we upgraded to InDesign 2.0 last year, we converted all our Pagemaker files over. On every file, we would always get a font substitution warning when we opened it in InDesign thereafter. The font in question is one that no longer exists on our network. Doing a find font did not solve the problem. We scoured all the styles, masterpages, etc. and finally ended up copying and pasting the content of all our files into newly built ID templates to get rid of the error.That seemed to work.

    However, now that we have upgraded to CS, the font errors have returned. Despite having copied & pasted hundreds of files in the first conversion, the phantom returned. Once again, we are faced with having to rebuild our files into new ID templates to get rid of the error. What a huge waste.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? We've tried find font. We've checked the styles. We've checked the master pages. We've done a select all. We've checked the pasteboard. We've check our default fonts.....

    Any info would be appreciated.
    Diane_Scheaffer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: phantom fonts

    Diane

    Actually there have been a number of recent postings on this issue, for both ID2 and IDCS. A bit of an epidemic.

    I have an ID2 file where a font name that cannot exist is claimed to be missing. When I ask ID to find it, whole slabs of correctly styled text are highlighted. I am assuming that I can regard the message as nonsense and that it will become irrelevant when I produce the prepress PDF.

    In another file, an author had made a Wingdings character bold in Word, but ID couldn't find it even though it had reported 'Wingdings Bold' missing. I eventually came across the single instance as I was paging up and fixed it manually. The message disappeared thereafter.

    Adobe does need to examine this issue. A user should expect missing font messages to be (a) realistic and (b) fixable through find and replace.
    Tony_Stuart@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    This message will also occur when you're opening a file with a text box on the master page, and the default font in the doent when it was originally created is a font that's not on your system. We run into this one all the time, especially as we migrate doents that were originally created in earlier versions of InDesign, or on machines that have been replaced.

    To fix it, just go to the text box on the master page, and select a new default font in the first position. It's a pretty painless fix, but I agree, an annoying one to have to make.

    We've also encountered this message when styles have been spec'd with fonts that don't reside on the system currently in use. THIS one made the transition to OpenType a lot more painful than it should have been, because Find Font doesn't update styles.
    David_Earls@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The problem is that ID only recognize a font with that face, say, Helvetica Bold, If you have only helvetica, and it was bolded manually in the PageMaker file, after the conversion, it'll warn you that the Helvetica Bold font is missing. If you have it installed, you probably have to to in and replace it for the warning to go away the next time you open the same file.

    Good luck!

    fy_yf99
    fyao99@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for everyone's input. We went through all of these suggestions when we first converted from PageMaker to Indesign 2.0 last year. The part I don't understand is why the error would come back on the same files when we upgraded to InDesign CS?
    Diane_Scheaffer@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have had this same error multple times but have always in the past been able to fix the phantom font by somehow deleting the affected typebbox, Changing All on the fonts throught find fonts, or opening up the Mac file on PC to Change All through Find Fonts.

    However, recently I ran into the problem again and am unable to Change all on the font. I cannot find the blank space or whatever is is. I cannot believe how frustrating it is when I just want a "clean" file to be unable to get rid of this one Mac font reference in a PC file.
    Ishmael@adobeforums.com Guest