Professional Web Applications Themes

Phone Book Object with first and last names in listing style - Adobe Indesign Windows

The version of InDesign is CS2, Version 4 Operating System details: Microsoft XP Pro Version 5.1.260 SP2 Build 2600 Amount of free disk space: 1047540 KB Make/Model of Video Card. Radeon 7000 AGP, 32.00 MB Adapter RAM Precise symptoms of your problem: Once a year I create a phone book with about 19000 listings. Last year I used PM 6.5. This year I've moved to CS2. I'm nearly complete except for one little detail and I can't remember what it is called to look for it in the help files. Maybe someone will understand my explanation and guide me back ...

  1. #1

    Default Phone Book Object with first and last names in listing style

    The version of InDesign is CS2, Version 4

    Operating System details:
    Microsoft XP Pro Version 5.1.260 SP2 Build 2600

    Amount of free disk space: 1047540 KB

    Make/Model of Video Card. Radeon 7000 AGP, 32.00 MB Adapter RAM

    Precise symptoms of your problem:

    Once a year I create a phone book with about 19000 listings. Last year I used PM 6.5. This year I've moved to CS2. I'm nearly complete except for one little detail and I can't remember what it is called to look for it in the help files. Maybe someone will understand my explanation and guide me back to productivity.

    There is an object next to the page number that contains the last name of the person in the first and last listing (paragraph style) on each page. It seems I ran a PM 6.5 plug in to update these objects. That is as far as memory serves.

    Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd hate to do this update manually on 255 pages. Any help is appreciated.

    TIA,
    Jolyn
    Jolyn_Prater@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    It is called "running headers & footers" and there is no way to do it in
    InDesign. I just completed a similar job (only 5,000) listings though. I
    found the only way to do it was to start it in Pagemaker making sure the
    formatting was right with the right number of listings per page, then to run
    the plug in there. From there I took it over and opened it InDesign to
    incorporate with the rest of the project. I even looked for plug ins to
    purchase to do this and couldn't find one. There was one (from a place
    called Virginia Systems I think) but it was very complex and the there was
    no trail version available for CS2.
    --
    Cyndee

    Cyndee_Meystel@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for posting your findings Cyndee. I hope someone else could post some better news. Do I sound despondant? My boss wants to retain the effect.
    Jolyn_Prater@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This is not hard to script. Check the Studio Exchange; there might even be a script or two there.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I haven't seen a script at the Studio Exchange. Maybe it isn't hard to
    script for someone who knows scripting, but for someone like me who doesn't,
    it's impossible. It would be nice to even be able to purchase something to
    get ID to gain functions that were in PM.

  6. #6

    Post the question in the scripting forum. Someone probably could give an answer.
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    My scripting's beginner-level only, but I am planning to attempt such a script soon because I also need it for an upcoming job. I can let you know when I get it done. But that's a few weeks away yet.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If you need help testing it, let me know. For me this job is once a year and
    it was just finished so I won't need to do it again for 10 months or so, but
    I'd be glad to test the script if you want. I'm glad someone is attempting
    it. Thanks.

  9. #9

    Dominic,

    I'll be glad to test also. Like Cyndee I only do this once a year and my deadline is today. I'm just having a blast <heavy sarcasm> editing the headers manually.

    BTW, Take a look in the scripting forum. There's some clues there that I haven't had time to play with yet. One promising looking thread is:

    Peter Kahrel, "JS running headers" #1, 24 Mar 2005 3:44 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bb903da/0>