Professional Web Applications Themes

Photo card needs reboot of X to see? - Mac Applications & Software

My wife has a Viking Intelliflash photo card reader on her iMac (running 10.2.6). Whenever she goes to insert a card, it is not recognized -- it does not mount on the desktop not can iPhoto see it. Rebooting the system always fixes the problem, and the card can then be used again. Wait till next day and the problem reappears. Anyone know what is going wrong here, and if there is a way to fix it? -- - Burt Johnson MindStorm, Inc. [url]http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Photo card needs reboot of X to see?

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    [url]http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html[/url]
    Burt Johnson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photo card needs reboot of X to see?

    Burt Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    > My wife has a Viking Intelliflash photo card reader on her iMac (running
    > 10.2.6). Whenever she goes to insert a card, it is not recognized -- it
    > does not mount on the desktop not can iPhoto see it.
    >
    > Rebooting the system always fixes the problem, and the card can then be
    > used again. Wait till next day and the problem reappears.
    >
    > Anyone know what is going wrong here, and if there is a way to fix it?
    I'm assuming it is a USB based device. Try unplugging the card reader
    and then plugging it back in. Then USB bus is notorious for losing track
    of what devices are attached. This little trick works wonders for
    non-functional USB devices.

    If it doesn't work perhaps logging out and back in will work - that
    doesn't take as long as restarting.
    Strider Guest

  3. #3

    Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    > Burt Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    >
    > > My wife has a Viking Intelliflash photo card reader on her iMac (running
    > > 10.2.6). Whenever she goes to insert a card, it is not recognized -- it
    > > does not mount on the desktop not can iPhoto see it.
    > >
    > > Rebooting the system always fixes the problem, and the card can then be
    > > used again. Wait till next day and the problem reappears.
    > >
    > > Anyone know what is going wrong here, and if there is a way to fix it?
    >
    > I'm assuming it is a USB based device. Try unplugging the card reader
    > and then plugging it back in. Then USB bus is notorious for losing track
    > of what devices are attached. This little trick works wonders for
    > non-functional USB devices.
    >
    > If it doesn't work perhaps logging out and back in will work - that
    > doesn't take as long as restarting.
    Good point. Will try that next time.

    No real "fix" that you know of though?

  4. #4

    Burt Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    > Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Burt Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > My wife has a Viking Intelliflash photo card reader on her iMac (running
    > > > 10.2.6). Whenever she goes to insert a card, it is not recognized -- it
    > > > does not mount on the desktop not can iPhoto see it.
    > > >
    > > > Rebooting the system always fixes the problem, and the card can then be
    > > > used again. Wait till next day and the problem reappears.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone know what is going wrong here, and if there is a way to fix it?
    > >
    > > I'm assuming it is a USB based device. Try unplugging the card reader
    > > and then plugging it back in. Then USB bus is notorious for losing track
    > > of what devices are attached. This little trick works wonders for
    > > non-functional USB devices.
    > >
    > > If it doesn't work perhaps logging out and back in will work - that
    > > doesn't take as long as restarting.
    >
    > Good point. Will try that next time.
    >
    > No real "fix" that you know of though?
    Other than a newer computer and newer USB devices, no :-( - - - -

    I saw this problem all the time with the original B&W G3 and iMacs. The
    situation has gotten better with time - probably partially better
    drivers but I'm sure also better USB chipsets. I have a dual USB iBook
    and a 2002 QuickSilver desktop. I've had no USB problems at all since I
    got rid of my old Epson printer.
    Strider Guest

  5. #5

    Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    > > No real "fix" that you know of though?
    >
    > Other than a newer computer and newer USB devices, no :-( - - - -
    >
    > I saw this problem all the time with the original B&W G3 and iMacs. The
    > situation has gotten better with time - probably partially better
    > drivers but I'm sure also better USB chipsets. I have a dual USB iBook
    > and a 2002 QuickSilver desktop. I've had no USB problems at all since I
    > got rid of my old Epson printer.
    Well, we are on an iMac purchased this Spring, running 10.2.6, using a
    CFII reader purchased last month. All that stuff is pretty new...?

  6. #6

    Burt Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    > Strider <gkarmyrealbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > No real "fix" that you know of though?
    > >
    > > Other than a newer computer and newer USB devices, no :-( - - - -
    > >
    > > I saw this problem all the time with the original B&W G3 and iMacs. The
    > > situation has gotten better with time - probably partially better
    > > drivers but I'm sure also better USB chipsets. I have a dual USB iBook
    > > and a 2002 QuickSilver desktop. I've had no USB problems at all since I
    > > got rid of my old Epson printer.
    >
    > Well, we are on an iMac purchased this Spring, running 10.2.6, using a
    > CFII reader purchased last month. All that stuff is pretty new...?

    Obviously the Mac is new....but the card reader isn't necessarily new
    even though you just bought it.

    Did unplugging and replugging work? Also, are you using a hub? Not all
    hubs are created equal.
    Strider Guest