Professional Web Applications Themes

Photo problem - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi all, hopefully you can help me. I'm a photographer and I'm putting my portfolio on line using Fireworks/dreamweaver. I have a list of thumbnails to the left of the screen with disjointed rollovers to have my photos appear on the right side. All this works well, except, when I hit the F12 key to look at my pages, most of my pictures - especially the B&W ones look all smeared with big lines and poor quality. Any idea on how to change this? Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Photo problem

    Hi all,
    hopefully you can help me. I'm a photographer and I'm putting my portfolio on line using Fireworks/dreamweaver.
    I have a list of thumbnails to the left of the screen with disjointed rollovers to have my photos appear on the right side.
    All this works well, except, when I hit the F12 key to look at my pages, most of my pictures - especially the B&W ones look all smeared with big lines and poor quality.
    Any idea on how to change this?
    Thank you.

    frenchtouch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photo problem

    french--

    My guess is that you have the file type for the slice over the photos
    set to GIF instead of JPG. Open the Optimize panel, select the slice,
    and check the file type listed there. Switch to JPG and then preview again.

    If my guess is wrong please post a URL so we can look at the page.

    Kim

    "frenchtouch" com wrote:

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh
    author, Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks

    Kim Guest

  3. #3

    I would agree with Kim. Jpg's are a better quality. And check to see how many web colors you are using. It's under "Optimize", where you can change the colors, dither, etc.

    homepage
    etiphany Guest

  4. #4

    Kim,

    MERCI!
    Thank you so much, you just made my day, well my night since it's very late.
    You are right, the slice was a gif instead of a jpeg...
    One lil thingy s it all sometimes.
    Thanks.

    Öli

    frenchtouch Guest

  5. #5

    Ahem,

    I have another problem.
    On each of my pages, I created a menu button. When you mouse over it the drop down appears with different sections. I uploaded the site today and it seems that the links don't work. If you click on "home" for example, a error page appears.
    Any idea?
    link is http://members.dslextreme.com/users/frenchtouch/
    thx

    frenchtouch Guest

  6. #6

    It looks like you just had the links entered in wrong.

    And ...whoa. =) Cool site.

    homepage
    etiphany Guest

  7. #7

    "etiphany" com wrote:

    They're not better quality, they're simply more appropriate to
    photographic types of images while GIFs give better results for line
    art, text or images whit large areas of solid color. JPG's use lossy
    compression while GIFs use lossless compression where the number of
    colors are the main variable affecting file size.

    The number of colors as well as their being Web safe or not has
    absolutely no effect on the file size of JPG images. Furthermore, JPG
    compression usually shifts color so if color precision is of prime
    importance (for logos for example) then GIF is again the better format
    as it does not change colors unless you export with a Web Safe or Web
    Snap Adaptive palette.

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron
    Stéphane Guest

  8. #8

    You are correct about it having no effect on size, but changing the number from 16 to 128, or vice versa, makes a huge difference on the "quality" of how it looks.

    JPEG have a more complex color pattern, which enables you to save images with several colors, where a the GIF option restricts you to 256 colors.

    JPEG permits a greater degree of compression than the GIF alternative, enabling quicker downloading times for larger graphics. And JPEGs appear to retain almost complete image quality for most photographs.

    So, if changing it from a gif to a jpg didn't help, changing the number of gif's colors may.

     [/ref]

  9. #9

    "etiphany" com wrote:

    Not at all. The number of colors in an exported GIF has no effect on the
    quality of image unless you export with fewer colors than the original
    graphic in which case the graphic will change. GIFs remain crisp and
    sharp no matter the number of colors you export with though. JPGs store
    millions of color and you cannot "remove" colors as you can when
    exporting GIFs. They just become more blurry and start showing visible
    compression artefacts the more you compress them.

    JPEGs can store millions of colors and their compression and file size
    are not linked to the number of color that actually exist in the image.

    Wrong. GIFs and JPGs are fomats that are suitable for specific types of
    image. One is not better than the other. I wouldn't use the GIF format
    to export a photograph as I wouldn't use a JPG to export a graphic
    containing text or sharp edged lines and shapes. This doesn't mean that
    one is superior the other, just that they are appropriate for their own
    specific image types. A GIF containing text and line art will be much
    smaller than the same graphic saved as a JPG if you want to retain the
    same quality. Again, GIF uses lossless compression. Text and shape edges
    remain crisp and sharp no matter how few colors it contains and how
    small the file size.

    That's what I was saying. For a photograph, JPG *is* the appropriate
    format. I was simply correcting your assertion that JPG is of better
    quality than GIF. That's simply not true. It is a better format for
    photographs but certainly not for all types of graphics. I myself
    probably export 90% of all my graphics as GIF, not JPGs.

    Actually, the truly superior format is PNG but its browser support is
    still too spotty to rely on.

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest

  10. #10

    Wow, okay. Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. Heh, let me see if I got this part right - - changing the color size (like from 128 to 64, for example) on gifs will lower the size, and NOT lower the quality? Like for animated gifs, for example.

    Oh, one more thing - does it take longer for a JPG to load then? I was curious about that today because I made a layout and normally slice them all as gifs. I am confused now and not sure what to do. I made it in Photo Shop originally, then sliced it in Fireworks, not realizing it was a JPG. So should I re-do it and export it as gifs?

    Or can I make the jpgs background images in Dreamweaver. Will that help the load time? A friend said that it doesn't take long at all to load, but I'm picky about it. That's when I realized they were all JPG's. Here is the link: http://www.etihpany.com/parkertheory. I've never had a problem before, but also never exported as JPG's before.

    Sorry about the confusion.

    Thanks again,
    Tiff =)
     [/ref]

  11. #11

    In article <bva04v$p2g$macromedia.com>,
    "etiphany" com wrote:

    No, not so, unless the image already contains fewer than 64 colors. Even
    then, your setting won't matter in FW, because by default FW
    automatically reduces the number of colors exported to the actual number
    used, no matter if the Optimize setting is higher. However, if you
    manually reduce the number of colors to less than the number actually
    present in the image, you will reduce the quality of the exported GIF.
    None of this has anything to do with JPEG, BTW.

    If you're serious about making your web images as small as possible,
    you'll want to visit one of the sites that explains the theories of
    GIF/LZW and JPEG compression. If you don't understand how they work, you
    can't design your images to be optimally compressable. You'll just be
    guessing, based on weblore instead of facts. There are small,
    barely-noticeable tweaks that can pay big dividends in file size. If a
    page is getting close to being too heavy, knowledge of compression
    theory can help you make design decisions to keep the size down.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  12. #12

    Etiphany,
    Thank you for your help.
    I like your website a lot, it's in my favorites. Been thinking of doing a link page on my site. When I do it, be sure to find it there.
    I sure wish I could design a website using flash... *sigh*
    and thank you all for your postings. I'm learning a lot thx to you.

    Öli

    frenchtouch Guest

  13. #13

    Oli,

    Thank you, but I am a total n00b. ;-) There is a lot I do not know. I'm learning a lot by coming here to the forum, though. There are a lot of helpful (and smart) people here, which I am glad for. =)

    Thanks again and see you soon.

    =)
    Tiffany

  14. #14

    Yea its a great site actually.

    Im an 18 year old web design in Ireland (please dont laugh ;P) and its a pity we dont seee enough of these sites. Ive only found the wonder of i-frames (allthough im having major problems with them - RE my post on the board) and im messin about with much smaller designs (like yours, exept not half as good). Check out my site at: www.thejammyblaa.com if your not busy.

    Oh and i run a small show on my local regional youth radio station BeatFM, so if you have any suggestions mail them to me at: com

    Keep up le travaille bein.

    Danny

    TheHairyCornflake Guest

  15. #15

    I've found that a lot of bands/musicians use iframes a lot, if not flash. If one doesn't know anything about coding/HTML or even browser tricks, it's a really good way to prevent stealing of material. Why not just pay $30 for HTML protector? I don't know. But anyway, I'm surprised you haven't seen more of iframed sites. A lot of people seem to be using them.

    But I love making layouts more than anything and learning code. And iframes uses a simple code. One thing I really don't like are layouts using div layers. Bah! It seems like, to me, hardly anyone uses Fireworks anymore. And I wonder why not. I love it.

    Anyway, I do alright using iframe coding. Just email me if you need help with it. I'd be happy to help. Another good site for tutorials is ticklez.net or xentrik.net. Really easy to understand. And as always, I make my template/layout in Fireworks first, then slice it according to where I would want the iframe to be.

    =)
    Tiff