Professional Web Applications Themes

Photographing Silverware - Photography

In article <nanjgvgqg5qacijvigtfp1mib0p2q5uj934ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213> wrote: > I've been trying to photograph some sterling silverware. It seems any > way that I do it that I get an unwanted reflection in the picture... > especially with spoons. I get the camera, me, trees, or something as > a reflected image. It's not light reflection. It's image reflection. > > I've been photographing them (Nikon Coolpix) in sunlight since that > seems to give the best lighting. Lighting hasn't been the problem. > The only time the lighting is a problem is when I'm trying to > photograph a hallmark ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Photographing Silverware

    In article <nanjgvgqg5qacijvigtfp1mib0p2q5uj934ax.com>,
    Tony Cooper <tony_cooper213> wrote:
    > I've been trying to photograph some sterling silverware. It seems any
    > way that I do it that I get an unwanted reflection in the picture...
    > especially with spoons. I get the camera, me, trees, or something as
    > a reflected image. It's not light reflection. It's image reflection.
    >
    > I've been photographing them (Nikon Coolpix) in sunlight since that
    > seems to give the best lighting. Lighting hasn't been the problem.
    > The only time the lighting is a problem is when I'm trying to
    > photograph a hallmark and have the lens about two inches from the
    > object.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to eliminate the reflections?
    >

    > --
    > Tony Cooper aka: [email]tony_cooper213[/email]
    > Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s
    Tony, for the most part as others have said a "tent" is the way to go.
    But that said, I've often done silverware/flatware etc., on a flat
    surface but I use strobe lights(boxes that is, NOT umbrellas). When you
    use a strobe at a high enough power, the shadows go black from the
    inverse square law. Also, it is then easier to add fill cards or
    whatever.

    When you were using available light, you were also photographing
    everything reflected in the silverware. For the most part, the pros
    would not use dulling spray either.

    I'll give you a suggestion. Go to a local landscaper and get some flat
    stones that have *CHARACTER* to them and some color perhaps. Texture.
    Layer those stones in your set and make a place for the silverware. You
    can do some very nice things this way. Use ceramic tiles for background.
    Try placemats, especially the rubber ones. Look for interesting metal
    sheets at the hardware store. Maybe fabrics.

    Think laterally!

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Regards,
    JP

    Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget
    Jim Polaski Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tony Cooper Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Lionel Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Lionel <nopalt.net> wrote in news:belujm$ptr$1pita.alt.net:
    > I don't know if the Coolpix has any way of setting a manual white
    > balance, but even if it doesn't, you can get a perfect white balance by
    > taking your first shot of a piece of new, white paper sitting where your
    > silverware is going to sit. That will give you a white reference to use
    > in Photoshop, which will then be able to correct it perfectly, without
    > any stuffing around with curves.
    If the Coolpix doesn't have manual white balance, this will not help, as
    the camera would change its WB settings for the next photo, with the paper
    replaced with silverware.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:17:35 +0000 (UTC), in
    <Xns93B57CF67E2A8mvuorikotisoonfi193.229.0.31>, Matti Vuori
    <mvuorikoti.soon.fi> said:
    >Lionel <nopalt.net> wrote in news:belujm$ptr$1pita.alt.net:
    >If the Coolpix doesn't have manual white balance, this will not help, as
    >the camera would change its WB settings for the next photo, with the paper
    >replaced with silverware.
    Um, I didn't make myself very clear, did I? What I meant was a manual
    setting in the sense of being able to dial in a random colour
    temperature directly. I was assuming that it at /at least/ could be
    locked into to some particular setting.
    That said, given that he's shooting into a light tent (ie; 90% of the
    light seen by the CCD is going to be the same colour between the
    silverware & the paper), even an automatic WB would be unlikely to
    change after the first shot.

    Lionel Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bem3mk$52s$0pita.alt.net>, Lionel <nopalt.net> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:17:35 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <Xns93B57CF67E2A8mvuorikotisoonfi193.229.0.31>, Matti Vuori
    > <mvuorikoti.soon.fi> said:
    >
    > >Lionel <nopalt.net> wrote in news:belujm$ptr$1pita.alt.net:
    > >If the Coolpix doesn't have manual white balance, this will not help, as
    > >the camera would change its WB settings for the next photo, with the paper
    > >replaced with silverware.
    >
    > Um, I didn't make myself very clear, did I? What I meant was a manual
    > setting in the sense of being able to dial in a random colour
    > temperature directly. I was assuming that it at /at least/ could be
    > locked into to some particular setting.
    > That said, given that he's shooting into a light tent (ie; 90% of the
    > light seen by the CCD is going to be the same colour between the
    > silverware & the paper), even an automatic WB would be unlikely to
    > change after the first shot.
    Part of the problem may be that if your bulbs are of differing ages, one
    having a different color than the other, your auto WB could get confused.

  7. #7

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:36:55 -0400, in
    <83h0hv4ilnp20pdfabclskd8pg2c7bg6fo4ax.com>, Tony Cooper
    <tony_cooper213> said:
    >The yellowish tint is gone. The resulting pictures don't need any
    >adjustments with Photoshop. Crop, re-size and re-sample, and go.
    >Actually, I'm using Irfanview instead of Photoshop on them since
    >Irfanview seems to have a better sharpening filter than PS, and I can
    >run the gallery and load and change faster.
    >
    >Where there's a will, and a newsgroup to help, there's a way.
    Another satisfied customer. ;)

    Glad we could help, Tony.

    Lionel Guest

  8. #8

    "Frank ess" <com> wrote in message
    Oh Frank You are not only a good writer but also a good photographer
    ..Congratulations. I will try Your technique today. Perhaps You would share
    Your other techniques too ?

    Andy Guest