Professional Web Applications Themes

Photos for brochure - Photography

I am planning on taking the necessary product photos for a colour mail order brochure and website (mainly food, and not very complicated sets). I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc. The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3 Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would be a seriously compromised studio option?...

  1. #1

    Default Photos for brochure

    I am planning on taking the necessary product photos for a colour mail order
    brochure and website (mainly food, and not very complicated sets).

    I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the
    peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc.

    The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3
    Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would
    be a seriously compromised studio option?

    Neale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photos for brochure

    Neale wrote:
    > I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the
    > peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc.
    >
    > The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3
    > Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would
    > be a seriously compromised studio option?
    I would seriously prefer whichever option had modeling lights.

    --
    John Miller

    "Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what *can*
    you believe?!"
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose

    John Miller Guest

  3. #3

    "Neale" <nealesonde.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<C_6cnerPA5WkqouiXTWJiwbrightview.com>...
    > I am planning on taking the necessary product photos for a colour mail order
    > brochure and website (mainly food, and not very complicated sets).
    >
    > I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the
    > peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc.
    >
    > The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3
    > Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would
    > be a seriously compromised studio option?
    Hire a pro.
    Michael Scarpitti Guest

  4. #4

    Neale you should ask to try before you buy.

    For the type of work you are doing studio lighting would be the better
    option. I have just recently shot a brochure for my other business and it
    had a few product shots which I accomplished with a D60, 550EX, 420EX &
    ST-E2. It can be done but I would much rather have done the shoot using
    studio lights.

    The downside to using E-TTL is that you're stuck with penlights for power,
    unless you are prepared to shell out big money for the Quantum power supply
    for the 550EX's. If so you are going into the same price bracket as a decent
    set of lights.

    Check out Alien Bees or White Lightnings - lots of folks here have used them
    and they are pretty good value for the money.

    Oh, and ignore the twerp who told you to hire a pro. This is the most fun
    you'll have with photography. Using the 10D will give you immediate feedback
    as well.

    --
    website: [url]www.imageunlimited.co.za[/url]
    email: dallas at the above domain

    "Neale" <nealesonde.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I am planning on taking the necessary product photos for a colour mail
    order
    > brochure and website (mainly food, and not very complicated sets).
    >
    > I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the
    > peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc.
    >
    > The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3
    > Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would
    > be a seriously compromised studio option?

    Dallas D Guest

  5. #5

    Go with studio strobes unless this is the only time you would be using
    them. The modeling lights alone are going to save you a lot of film and
    headache. Food is probably the hardest subject to photograph well, so I
    would also recommend a book on the subject. I have never read any on food
    photography (I have no interest in it) but amazon will have reviews that can
    be helpful.
    Alien Bees seem to be well regarded in the "budget" price range.

    --
    [url]http://www.chapelhillnoir.com[/url]
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Neale" <nealesonde.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I am planning on taking the necessary product photos for a colour mail
    order
    > brochure and website (mainly food, and not very complicated sets).
    >
    > I plan on using my EOS 10D, and am contemplating buying a small "off the
    > peg" studio flash setup, with brollies etc.
    >
    > The other possibility with the same financial outlay would be a set of 3
    > Canon 550 EX speedlights. Can anyone advise as to whether the latter would
    > be a seriously compromised studio option?

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  6. #6

    Suggestion: use window light. If you have a tripod, the exposure at
    f16 should be reachable with window light. ...not very complicated
    sets does not compute if you need several lights for your food shots.

    [Maybe using a digital Canon makes like less simple?]
    = = =
    "Neale" <freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<com>...
    Jerry Guest