Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Photoshop 7 file locations.

    Hi everybody,
    I'm using 3rd party plugins (Flaming Pear) with my PS-7. Installed them in the Plugins\Filters directory, and defined the path to them in prefs.
    Now, once used a Plugin, PS keeps looking in that directory when I call the same, or another one.
    But when I save my work, for instance in my EXPORT directory, the next time I call a plugin, PS looks there!
    Every time I have to navigate PS back to the Plugin\Filters dir.
    O/S is W2000 SP2. The filters are grouped OK in the Filtermenu.
    Anybody has a clue? Thanks!
    Rob.
    Rob Keijzer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photoshop 7 file locations.

    Hi Tony,
    Sorry to be confusing. I mean that my Plug-ins are in a certain folder (filters), and I save part of my work (photos) in another folder (export).
    Now when I just saved something and continue to work on some other image, Photoshop seemes to have 'forgotten' where my plug-ins were. In stead of looking in 'filters' when I call up one, it looks for a plugin in 'export', and it isn't there. So being in the export folder I have to navigate all the way to the plug-in folder. I have to do this everytime after I have saved something.
    Of co, I can stuff everything (application files, filter files and my whole work) in the same darned folder, but we all learned to organise our things in folders.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Rob Keijzer Guest

  3. #3

    just to be a little clearer on what you're asking...

    ps has a plug-in folder, most likely something called:

    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins

    PS will automatically scan this folder for plugins at start up and add anything it finds in that folder or subfolders (Filters, for example) automatically to the filter list or whereever they go.

    If your plugin is installed anywhere in that directory structure, you don't need to do anything else as PS will pick it up.

    PS ALSO has the option (edit> prefrences> plug-ins & scratch disks) of setting an "Additional Plugins directory", which requires you to check the box and specify a path. This is useful if you want to create a seperate directory to store all your 3rd party plugin to, for example, "c:\davesplugs". That way you can keep all 3rd party plug-ins seperate from the native PS plug-ins, and also that allows you to point any other apps that use photoshop style plug-ins (paint shop pro, etc) to that directory so you don't need to install multiple copies of the plug in.

    so if my last post (dialog internal to the plugin itself) was incorrect, can you start from the scenario i've just described and tell us exactly how/where you've installed the plug-in, what prefrences you've set, and what exactly you're having a problem with?

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  4. #4

    Whenever PS needs a file e.g. a plug in, it lookes in the folder where
    I last saved something.

    It should only look in the plugins folder. It doesn't go "look" for plugins while you're running, they're loaded at startup.

    So when I want to load a Plug-in file

    You don't load a plug-in file. You put it on the hard drive (usually with an installer) and PS picks it up on startup.

    Now I expected that PS would memorise where the plug-ins, the hue files,
    the texture files, etc etc and all that stuff is.

    It does. It should be stored in:

    C:\Windows\ or C:\winnt\profiles\ or c:\doents and settings\

    USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings

    (re: the 3 directorys before USERNAME... the location of the application data folder depends on what OS you're using.)

    So are you trying to load a plug in? or are you trying to load something into a plugin that's already loaded and shows up in the filter menu...

    You can always look in the prefs directory I mentioned and delete "PluginCache.psp". That will force PS to rescan for all plug ins. Another possibility is you may have installed the flaming pear plugin incorrectly. Does it have an installer or do you just copy an 8bf file to the filters directory?

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your elaboration, but I've done all that.
    Indeed I had a seperate directory where the Plug-ins were, and the path to it was ok in preferencies.
    But it didn't work. (It DID after manual navigation).
    After that I moved the 3rd pary Plugins to the generic PS plugin directory.
    (...\Plug-ins\filters), AND changed the path in Prefs accordingly, but zilch..
    PS keeps memorizing the directory where I save work as the one where to look for Plugins.
    PS, I apologize for starting such a hectic thread for a problem I can probably live with, but what the heck..
    Thanks for helping, Rob
    Rob Keijzer Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Dave,
    Found the PluginCache.psp and deleted it.
    It was in my 'Doents and settings....application data 'etc, and it was the only one found on C:
    Launched PS, Noticed longer process than normal while it scanned for plugins, left it there couple minutes and shut it down again.
    Searched again for PluginCache.psp and it was back,same location.
    Fired up PS again, picked an image, went to menu 'Filters', chose the bottom one: Flaming Pear, picked 'Aetherize'It comes up with its default filter, clicked on the arrow button (You then get a list with filters specific to that Plug-in),
    But I'm in my output directory (where I save my images) and the list is empty because it is filtered on the basis of the file extentions of 'Aeterize'.
    I navigate to my Plug-in dir. and the files are there ok.
    Now I make some simple wallpaper and sav it in the windows dir (C:\WINNT)
    Pick another image, call the same plugin the same way: try to select a filter and it tries to find it in C:\WINNT !
    I shut down PS, Reboot my PC, launch PS,
    go again through the proces of selecting a plugin, and no matter what plugin I choose, it still tries to find the files belonging to them in C:\WINNT (where I last saved that wallpaper thing)
    And it keeps looking there until I manually DRAG PS to that old plugin directory again.
    Beats me. Rob
    Rob Keijzer Guest

  7. #7

    I still have no idea what he's doing <smile>

    If he's talking about the fact that PS often has alzheimers when it comes to the last used directory, okay, I buy that.

    But I've used photoshop since v5.5 and never had to navigate a plug-in directory, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

    <shrug>.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  9. #9

    double double toil and trouble post.
    dave milbut Guest

  10. #10

    Pick another image, call the same plugin the same way: try to select a
    filter and it tries to find it in C:\WINNT !

    Ah, I get it now. He's trying to get the plug-in to default to the location
    of the filters associated with that plug-in, but it defaults to a "data"
    directory.

    right tony. that's as i said early on...

    rob, you're picking a filter from WITHIN the plug-in.

    (from my post #3: "ahh! are you speaking about a dialog INSIDE the plugin? (don't know what that plug does, but for example an open some kind of texture or effects file or something) if so, ps has no control over that.").

    that's beyond photoshop's control. it's a flaming pear problem.

    that said, MOST of the plug-ins I own behave that way, from KPT to AlienSkin, etc.

    dave
    dave milbut Guest

  11. #11

    right tony. that's as i said early on...

    It takes me longer than most. You have to type slowly because I can't read that fast.
    YrbkMgr Guest

  12. #12

    dave milbut Guest

  13. #13

    Hi all,
    I think you are right! Never thought of the possibility that it's to do with Fl*ming Pear itself!
    Ok I'll try to contact them and see what they can do.
    I have tried to include a glass of beer for you all, but my browser won't allow..
    P.S. my last message erroneously showed up twice in the thread, so I'll interrogate Flaming Pear for that too!
    Bye from Amsterdam, just post-heat wave, Netherlands.
    Rob
    Rob Keijzer Guest

  14. #14

    Ok I'll try to contact them and see what they can do.

    as i said, it's pretty much standard across the industry. sometimes it's cool. most times it's not.

    just post-heat wave, Netherlands.

    thank bob! that heat wave had stalled a high humidity front here over the eastern US. Today's the first day you could go out w/o getting drenched under dry skies for a week!
    dave milbut Guest