Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default PHOTOSHOP 7 PEN PRESSURE PROBLEMS

    I am using this wonderful new photoshop 7.0.1 (updated) with a wacom intuos 2 (with updated drivers as well) under winxp brush SHAPE DYNAMICS and I am getting this annoyng problem:
    - I want default pen pressure settings to be OFF but every single time I change pen size they go beck to PEN PRESSURE and this is driving me nuts!!

    does any1 know how to set them differently? hints really appreciated and welcome
    azmulgor Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PHOTOSHOP 7 PEN PRESSURE PROBLEMS

    The brushes each have default settings associated with them. When you select
    a brush from the toolbox, look on the Photoshop menu bar to the right. There
    is a small button called the brushes pallette. Click it and take the pen
    pressure option off. That will work until you select a new brush. To have it
    never do it again, create your own brush and save it. To just not have to
    hassle with it temporarily, just take the same brush you started with and
    manually adjust its size and shape to fit your changing needs. It will still
    be using the options you set in the pallette.

    "azmulgor" <nuanda@adriacom.it> wrote in message
    > I am using this wonderful new photoshop 7.0.1 (updated) with a wacom
    intuos 2 (with updated drivers as well) under winxp brush SHAPE DYNAMICS and
    I am getting this annoyng problem:
    > - I want default pen pressure settings to be OFF but every single time I
    change pen size they go beck to PEN PRESSURE and this is driving me nuts!!

    > does any1 know how to set them differently? hints really appreciated and
    welcome

    Harold Morgan Guest

  3. #3

    does any1 know?
    azmulgor Guest

  4. #4

    from WACOM forum:

    We cannot reproduce this here. If you select one brush, turn off pressure reaction within the shape dynamics, you can still change the tool diameter without getting pressure reaction back.

    If you select another brush, however, this will have the default setting with pressure on.

    Also, there seems to be a bug in PS: if you turn shape dynamics off for one brush, select another brush and then re-select the original brush, the checkbox for shape dynamics is back on. Apparently this is not correct and should be fixed by Adobe.
    azmulgor Guest

  5. #5

    It's not a bug in Photoshop.

    You reselected the preset, which restored all the settings that came with that preset.

    You changed the CURRENT settings, but you never changed the preset.
    Chris Cox Guest

  6. #6

    how do I change the preset?
    azmulgor Guest

  7. #7

    Dennis - quit changing brush presets and just change the brush tip shape. Yes, each brush preset has it's own pressure settings.

    Azmulgor - you click on another preset to pick a new preset to use. If you mean changing the contents of one, you pick it, make your changes, and save a new preset.
    Chris Cox Guest

  8. #8

    You know, it's a funny thing about "sticky" settings in Photoshop...

    If you open a doent that uses one of the "Faux" type styles, Photoshop changes its settings so that every time you use the type tool from then on, the Faux style is applied. You have to manually go in and turn it off.

    But if you change the brush dynamics of a brush, go to another brush, and then come back to the brush you were just using, the dynamics are reset to default - ON.

    There is a lack of consistency here, nicht wahr?

    And if I create a new brush with dynamics turned off, what makes Adobe think it is a Good Thing to turn them back on when I go to use the brush again? I believe this is not a feature. I believe it is a bug.
    dennis johnson Guest

  9. #9

    what makes Adobe think it is a Good Thing to turn them back on when I
    go to use the brush again?

    create and use tool presets. then change brush sizes in the presets palette.
    dave milbut Guest

  10. #10

    If you create a brush with the dynamics off, then they will always BE off when you select that brush preset.

    Each brush preset has it's own dynamics settings - and those replace all current settings.
    Chris Cox Guest

  11. #11

    I'm not sure that's true, Chris, as that is what I was attempting to do, but I'll give it another try when I get on my Photoshop machine later this afternoon.

    My experience was that the size attribute and softness of the brush were saved with the new brush, but the dynamics were not saved - or rather changed to being turned on when I selected another brush, and stayed on when I came back to my newly-created brush.

    I'll hammer away at it and come back with my report.
    dennis johnson Guest

  12. #12

    Dennis - it is true. That's the only way it works.

    Dynamics are saved (and loaded) with the brush preset.
    Chris Cox Guest

  13. #13

    I'm not sure that's true, Chris,

    ok REALLY LMAO!
    dave milbut Guest

  14. #14

    If ANYONE around here even halfway has a clue what's what, I think Chris gets THAT award...if you are still ignorant enough to doubt that, take a moment and read the names on your PS when it starts up...
    Ol' Whozit Guest

  15. #15

    Oh for crying in a bucket, O' W, you think I'm not aware who I'm typing to?

    Save the sarcasm for one of the newbies you seem to enjoy beating up on.

    I came back to this thread to offer apologies for being mistaken - I did not create my brush properly before - and to offer a round of drinks to the house, except for the surly biker chick in the corner.

    I am actually quite happy to find that I CAN save a brush without dynamics - that will help a lot in my work, and I am glad to be shown wrong.
    dennis johnson Guest

  16. #16

    here is the n00b to beat upon back!

    since I have an italian version of PS, would any n00b-wacker plz tell me why I cannot change my shape RIGHT-CLICKING and where are PRESETS or else??
    I understand there are 2 pull down brush menues, 1 is top left and 1 is top right I have my stupid shapedynimics coming back to PEN PRESSURE either I choose from any of the 2 menues or right-clicking.

    And more to that I still even wonder where brushes have gone hitting RETURN. If anyone remembers in PS6.0.1 brush sizes would popup in that manner... exquisite!

    The only way I can get PEN PRESSURE OFF all the time is to manually change brush dimensions with the -----|-------------- pixels bar or typing it in. Does anyone use PS in a quick manner? Only they can understand how stupid, boring and unusable is this option.

    Have a nice day,
    az
    azmulgor Guest

  17. #17

    The only way I can get PEN PRESSURE OFF all the time is to manually change
    brush dimensions with the -----|-------------- pixels bar or typing it
    in. Does anyone use PS in a quick manner? Only they can understand how
    stupid, boring and unusable is this option.

    Use the preset manager and save brushes with the pen pressure off in different sizes then select from there instead of the main brush palette.

    chris can the presets be saved out and then loaded into the standard brush menu as a set? i've never tried that but it might be useful... it is a tad annoying to go all the way upper left to get to the presets... (or are you gonna whack me again for that question?!! <g>)
    dave milbut Guest

  18. #18

    You can save and load presets from the brush palette, or the flyout picker, or the preset manager.

    But you don't have to modify all your presets -- just modify one.

    Then instead of changing the preset, just change the brush tip shape from the palette.
    Chris Cox Guest

  19. #19

    No, change the BRUSH TIP SHAPE from the brushes palette -- Look on the left side, second item from the top.
    Chris Cox Guest