Professional Web Applications Themes

PhotoShop and CS - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I use Photoshop7 and saw a program on Photoshop CS. After looking at the info. page on this, do I need to buy the whole program or is the upgrade enough to use the enhanced features? In reading the info. it said the upgrade would not work with Element, but it said nothing about Photoshop 7. Thanks Sue...

  1. #1

    Default PhotoShop and CS

    SueMac@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PhotoShop and CS

    Do a search in the forum on the topic. It is an issue that has been discussed a lot.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    you can upgrade to photoshop cs (8) from version 7. OR (AND?) you can upgrade to the creative studio suite and get a few extra programs in the bargin. see www.adobe.com for more info.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Be aware that if you choose to upgrade to the Creative Suite, you must then
    upgrade the Creative Suite as a whole from then on.

    You cannot upgrade individual software from the Creative Suite.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John_Waller@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Be aware that if you choose to upgrade to the Creative Suite, you must
    then upgrade the Creative Suite as a whole from then on.

    The question still remains though, when PS 9 and cs2 come out, having upgraded ps7 to the ps suite, can one forego the other apps in the suite and still upgrade to PS 9 as a standalone using ps7 (or older full PS version) as the qualifying product?
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    The question still remains though, when PS 9 and cs2 come out, having
    upgraded ps7 to the ps suite, can one forego the other apps in the suite
    and still upgrade to PS 9 as a standalone using ps7 (or older full PS
    version) as the qualifying product?

    You have the PS7 disk!

    You have the PS7 serial number!

    You upgrade to Creative Suite using Photoshop 7 (a qualifying upgrade product)

    You activate but don't register Creative Suite (meaning Adobe don't know you have it)

    Adobe release Photoshop CSx

    You want to upgrade Photoshop CSx

    You buy Photoshop CSx upgrade (earlier non CS versions are still qualifying products)

    So where's the problem?
    Ian_Lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You activate but don't register Creative Suite (meaning Adobe don't know
    you have it)

    That's the only prob I have w/your stmts. (and I appreciate it Ian). Everything else you say is kinda the way I thought it would work, I'm just looking for confirmation.

    But I don't like not registering a $500+ application. Think it makes a diff.?

    dave
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Dave,

    But I don't like not registering a $500+ application. Think it makes a
    diff.?

    I don't think it really makes any difference either way. I do register ALL my software but then I buy my software direct from the vendor and companies such as Adobe UK will only ship to registered users. I know many who don't register and they didn't appear to have any difficulties when upgrading in the past. Then again they bought their upgrades from conventional high-street stores.

    A point of clarification from my earlier post:

    You activate but don't register Creative Suite (meaning Adobe don't know
    you have it)

    Adobe will know that the product has been activated but not by who. This should make no difference as the new serial number will be required for Creative Suite rather than your old Photoshop SN. If the upgrade version of CS is anything like current PS upgrades your old SN simply tells Photoshop that you are eligible for an upgrade. Until CS ships we won't know if this remains the means by which it can determine your eligibility.
    Ian_Lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Dave

    As well, at least one of the font packages being offered by Adobe when you buy the creative suite is only available when you register (Brisio, I think).

    And CS is a lot more than a $500 application. Here in Canada, I estimate the value is $3000 plus for the full cost of all the components. It has to be $2000 in the US.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > So where's the problem?

    There is no problem physically. The question remains about the legality.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    That was my thinking. Just want to be sure. :)

    I know many who don't register and they didn't appear to have any difficulties
    when upgrading in the past.

    I don't usually register games or things like that where it's less than say $100 bux, but for something that expensive (or hardware, for that matter) where you might need support in the future (the dog ate my disk, etc.) I can't see NOT registering just to protect your investment. But I hear you.

    And CS is a lot more than a $500 application. Here in Canada, I estimate
    the value is $3000 plus for the full cost of all the components. It has
    to be $2000 in the US.

    Well the point is I have ps 7 (6 is the full version) to upgrade from. So the CS upgrade is $549 standard or $749 premium. I'm guessing that by upgrading to a suite rather than standalon PS it won't invalidate my ver. 6 full licence, preventing from upgrading to just PS CS(9) if that's what I decide to do in the future.

    Does anyone know if the same font package comes with the CS Standard as with the CS Premium? Any fonts come with PS CS standalone?
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Dave there's a thread on the font issue in the typography forum. I'm
    using a newsreader so I can't give you link.

  13. #13

    can you summarize? i wouldn't even know where to start looking! :)
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    It's very recent thread and is entitle 212 Opentype fonts bundled with
    Creative Suite.

    Apparently there are quite a few fonts that will come with the
    individual apps some additional that come with the suite and Brioso Pro
    which will be a bonus for registering the suite.

  15. #15

    Given all the obvious confusion about the implications of upgrading to CS Suite from PS I am disappointed that Adobe have not come forward with a clear unambiguous statement – the information released in the FAQ etc is obviously not enough. Whichever country you purchase in the CS Suite is a big investment and as users trying to do the right thing – i.e. stay within the license agreements - I think Adobe owe us a clear statement about CS2/PS9 upgrade paths before we commit a substantial amount of cash to Adobe.
    david_evanson@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    If you use your PS license to purchase CS, you can apparently still upgrade PS separately. However, if you want to upgrade just Illustrator (AI), you don't have an individual license for that product. So, if you upgrade PS, then decide that you want AI, how do you continue without suffering serious math anxiety?
    r_harvey@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    That seems to be the current consensus of opinion from users here and it appears logical – but it would still be nice to see a definitive answer from Adobe. With all the paranoia (justified or not only time will tell) about activation I would have thought it in Adobe’s interest to produce a clear statement.
    david_evanson@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Apparently there are quite a few fonts that will come with the individual
    apps some additional that come with the suite and Brioso Pro
    which will be a bonus for registering the suite.

    Excellent. Thanks man. I'll go look for that thread.

    So, if you upgrade PS, then decide that you want AI, how do you continue
    without suffering serious math anxiety?

    Ah. But I also have Ill. 8. Will that license still be upgradable to the next version w/o me going through the suite even if I get the suite. I guess it should be, right?

    Whichever country you purchase in the CS Suite is a big investment and
    as users trying to do the right thing – i.e. stay within the license agreements
    - I think Adobe owe us a clear statement about CS2/PS9 upgrade paths before
    we commit a substantial amount of cash to Adobe.

    THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! :)
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Dave

    If you have PS and AI, I would go for the suite, and pick up the other programs. You should be able to upgrade both those independently in the future from your current versions, and you will get the CS versions of the other apps.

    I suspect that Adobe will price the cost of the CS upgrades at 2 to 2.5 times what a single app upgrade is, for marketing reasons. When the time comes, you can decide which upgrade to take.

    (I notice you haven't kept up on AI. Lotsa cool features in version 10 over 8, if you use the program at all. I haven't checked what is new in CS version, but probably some more goodies.)
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Don,

    You should be able to upgrade both those independently in the future from your current versions, and you will get the CS versions of the other apps.

    I belive this to be the crux of the matter. Once you use an independent version for upgrade to the CS suite, is it LEGAL to again use that *same* independent version to bypass the suite and get say version PSCS 12 and are you LEGALLY able to register that version? If yes, will that registration nullify the CS Suite versions (due to activation)?
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest