Professional Web Applications Themes

photoshop can't save my file- "disk is full" - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I'm getting a dialogue box that says, "Could not save (file name) because the disk is full". I am running PS 7 on my iMac, OS 9.1. I have a power PC G3 with 333 MHz speed and 256 MB virtual memory and also 256 MB built-in memory. I've never had this problem before and have been using photoshop on this computer for years. I'm working on a matte painting. The file size is 29.5 MB....

  1. #1

    Default photoshop can't save my file- "disk is full"

    phaedracraig@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: photoshop can't save my file- "disk is full"

    Could not save (file name) because the disk is full"

    this means that you have no more hard disk space where you are trying to save the file. It has nothing to do with RAM.

    solutions are:

    save to a drive that has space

    Buy a new drive so you have more space.

    save old files to CD then erase them to make room for new ones.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    how can I save to a new drive? I don't even know if I have another drive.

    thanks,
    phaedracraig@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    phaedracraig ,

    You do not have enough space. Back up and trash some files on your hard drive to clear up space. It's as simple as that.

    As Buko posted, the error is not related to RAM. It's due to a small amount of hard drive space.

    If you don't know whether or not you have another drive, chances are you do not. iMacs only have one internal drive.

    You'll need to keep an eye on your hard drive usage. Lettign the drive get down to less than 29mb of free space is haphazard and could be slightly dangerous in terms of data protection adn usability. Click yoru hard drive once, then choose File > get info from teh menu. That will tell you how much free space the drive has remaining.
    Scott_Weichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I've thrown away files and that seems to do the trick. Now I have 191.4 MB available with capacity 6 GB. And I can save PS files again.

    THANK YOU!
    phaedracraig@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Just FYI... for a 6gb drive you may want to try and leave 300mb at least free at all times. It makes for a happier Mac. Sounds like you've hit the limits of yoru drive and you may want to start shopping for a larger drive than 6gb.
    Scott_Weichert@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    What Scott says. When a hard drive gets anywhere near 85% full, you need to get a new drive or back up and delete a bunch of files to make space.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukoadobeforums.com View Post
    Could not save (file name) because the disk is full"

    this means that you have no more hard disk space where you are trying to save the file. It has nothing to do with RAM.

    solutions are:

    save to a drive that has space

    Buy a new drive so you have more space.

    save old files to CD then erase them to make room for new ones.
    The problem has nothing to do with the size or space available on the drive. I have 1.3 TB left on my drive and only 1% fragmentation. Photoshop will not allow me to save a file on Windows 7.
    Unregistere Guest

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistere View Post
    The problem has nothing to do with the size or space available on the drive. I have 1.3 TB left on my drive and only 1% fragmentation. Photoshop will not allow me to save a file on Windows 7.
    i'm running into the same prob., having cloned my system drive to a 2T WD. the issue has something to do with ps (7, 7.01, ...??) being unable to address moe than, like, 1T, or some like that.

    very sloppy, adobe, and very bush league to not even consider a quick patch for it. imageready can do it.

    what's up ??
    Unregistered Guest

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistere View Post
    The problem has nothing to do with the size or space available on the drive. I have 1.3 TB left on my drive and only 1% fragmentation. Photoshop will not allow me to save a file on Windows 7.
    Same problem, I also have over 1.5TB left on drive and PS says that the disk is full. I then chose a different harddrive on my system and it saved it there. PS seems not to recognize the vacant space on the main drive.
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    Lightbulb Photoshop can't save my file- "disk is full"

    I had the same problem.
    I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit.
    Boot disk: solid state drive 120 GB
    Second disk: SATA drive 2 TB
    Software: PhotoShop 7.0

    SOLUTION:
    Installing PhotoShop on your second drive (the drive you can't save your files onto) will solve the problem. After installing, configure this drive also as scratch disk. Now you can save your files onto both drives.
    It works fine to me. Good luck!
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Weichertadobeforums.com View Post
    phaedracraig ,

    You do not have enough space. Back up and trash some files on your hard drive to clear up space. It's as simple as that.

    As Buko posted, the error is not related to RAM. It's due to a small amount of hard drive space.

    If you don't know whether or not you have another drive, chances are you do not. iMacs only have one internal drive.

    You'll need to keep an eye on your hard drive usage. Lettign the drive get down to less than 29mb of free space is haphazard and could be slightly dangerous in terms of data protection adn usability. Click yoru hard drive once, then choose File > get info from teh menu. That will tell you how much free space the drive has remaining.
    ok, how about this case then;

    on a K52J ASUS laptop running Windows 7, 64 bit i first get this same message on
    system that i am attempting to save to D drive that has 251GB of free space, but it only allows storage on the C drive with 11.9GB of free space.
    riddle me this????
    Unregistered Guest