Professional Web Applications Themes

Photoshop Elements 2.0 takes over all .PDF doents - Adobe Photoshop Elements

After installing the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my Epson Perfection 3200 Photo scanner, I now have problems accessing general .PDF doents with Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0. It seems as though Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 assumes all .PDF doents are photographs. The only way I can access a form for example is to open Adobe Acrobat Reader first, then select the doent I want to open. I can no longer open a PDF doent just by clicking on it, Photoshop Elements 2.0 grabs it first! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!...

  1. #1

    Default Photoshop Elements 2.0 takes over all .PDF doents

    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Not to panic. I assume you're using Windows, since most Mac users identify themselves. Here are two things you can try. Since I try not to use a Win machine, I don't remember which is the most expedient in your case. I suspect this one:

    Right click on the icon of a PDF doent and go down to where it says "Open With"; Adobe Acrobat Reader should show up in the list. Just select that. If it's not in the list, there's a "show more options" area, and you can scroll to the Acrobat Reader app on your hard drive and select it that way. Once you've done this for one PDF doc, all of them should open in Acrobat Reader. You might also notice that all other files types on your hard drive also now open in Elements; you can repeat the above process to get them to open in another app if you prefer.

    There's also something under Edit>Open With in Elements itself. I haven't ever used this one, but I think it produces a similar result.

    If you're still having trouble (and that might even be because I messed up something in the directions), repost and tell us what OS you're using. You'll get more specific instructions that way.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your prompt reply, I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know the results....

    Thanks again,

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Beth,
    No Luck! Yes I am running MS 98SE, there is no such item (Open With) when you right click the PDF icon, nor do I see anything like EDIT>Open With in Element 2.0 either.

    Maybe the version (Elements 2.0) that came with my Epson Scanner is a crippled version.

    I also noticed that since I installed the Photoshop Elements 2.0 I can no longer download any PDF doents. My screen comes up blank with a small square in the upper lefthand corner with multi-colored symbols inside.....

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ed, did you try to Shift-Right Click on the PDF doent in Windows
    Explorer? That should give you the Open With... line that was missing
    before. In PE2, you should also undo the PDF box in Edit<File Association;
    as a matter of fact, you might want to do that first, just to make sure PE
    doesn't override Windows...

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Chuck, I'll give that a shot and let you know how it turns out.

    Regards,

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Chuck! unchecking the PDF box in EDIT>FILE ASSN took care of the problem. I'm still confused, doing a SHIFT-RIGHT CLICK on the PDF doent only brings up the standard window, there isn't a OPEN WITH entry there...... Oh well, no complaint, it's fixed, thanks again to both you and Beth Haney for all your efforts.....

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Edward,

    I use WinXP, so I don't know if it works in 98SE, but when I just right click a file while using Explorer, one of the options on the popup is "open with".
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Nancy for your advice, but that option is not available in Win98SE, It was recommended and I tried it. See Chuck Snyder's suggestion above, it solved my problem.

    Thanks again

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Ed,

    On Win98SE, you can get the "Open With..." option by holding the SHIFT key
    while right-clicking on a file.

    Only in the event the file type is unassociated will you get Open With by
    right-clicking, alone.

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    That why! "file unassociated with", understandabel now!

    Thanks Byron

    Ed
    Edward_Parker@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Byron, I had Win 98SE for a long time and didn't realize that about the
    Shift-Right Click - great tip!