Professional Web Applications Themes

Photoshop Elements - Mac Applications & Software

Can someone please tell me if "Photoshop Elements 2.0" is a native OS X application? I am thinking of buying this program, but not if I have to run it in Classic Mode. If it runs under OS X, is it a Carbon or Cocoa app? Thanks. John...

  1. #1

    Default Photoshop Elements

    Can someone please tell me if "Photoshop Elements 2.0" is a native OS
    X application? I am thinking of buying this program, but not if I have
    to run it in Classic Mode. If it runs under OS X, is it a Carbon or
    Cocoa app?

    Thanks.

    John
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photoshop Elements

    On 10 Sep 2003 06:29:12 -0700,
    John (com) wrote:

    I haven't used it, or purchased it, but the Adobe website suggests that
    it runs natively under OS X, and that it is a Cocoa application.

    I was looking at it a few weeks ago. Seems pretty competitively priced.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, John
    <com> wrote:

    Native OS X, Carbon (same as Photoshop 7, Illustrator, and almost any
    other cross-platform application).

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  4. #4

    In <mimnet.northwestern.edu> Bev A. Kupf
    wrote:

    > I haven't used it, or purchased it, but the Adobe website suggests
    > that it runs natively under OS X, and that it is a Cocoa application.
    >
    > I was looking at it a few weeks ago. Seems pretty competitively
    > priced.[/ref]

    It's much more than competitively priced; it's insanely cheap. $50 after
    rebate at Amazon (it was $30, but that offer seems to be over now). m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  5. #5

    matt neuburg:

    *****

    Not only that, but Photoshop Elements is so capable for all but the
    very highest-end uses that I'm insane for owning $1,200.00 worth of
    Photoshop licenses. Of course, there was no Elements when I bought
    Photoshop, but I'll ponder deeply before upgrading Photoshop further.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  6. #6

    Davoud <com> wrote:

    Elements lacks "Curves", and can't do color separations, which seem to be
    major disadvantages. I'm not sure if it does Lab color, but if it can't,
    that'd be another huge reason not to use it. And does it have the healing
    brush?

    The Curves thing is a show-stopper, though. I can't imagine a program
    claiming to be for image editing being worth even $50 to me without that.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  7. #7

    Bev A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    It's Carbon.

    Boy, is it ever! I've seen it selling for under $80, and then there's a
    $30 rebate for users of any previous version (including Photoshop LE and
    even PhotoDeluxe) or a number of competing products.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    In article <google.com>,
    com (John) wrote:

    Bought it last night at my neigborhood WalMart for $58.xx. I was taken
    back when I saw that both the Macintosh and Windows versions are in the
    same package. Buying Macintosh software at WalMart! Now there's a switch!

    I'm running it under OS X 10.2.6 and it runs natively. It runs fine. It
    works fine with Jaguar. It's Carbon.
    Lawrence Guest

  9. #9

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > I haven't used it, or purchased it, but the Adobe website suggests that
    > it runs natively under OS X, and that it is a Cocoa application.[/ref]

    Where does it claim that it is a Cocoa application?

    It is a native Carbon application. Not that whether it is Carbon or
    Cocoa matters. You can build great software using either application
    stack. You can also build crap with both. Evaluate the application based
    on its merits as a product, not which toolchain it was built with.

    M.
    Mr. Guest

  10. #10

    In article <gunslinger.net>,
    Jeremy <com> wrote:

    For us naive Elements users, can you explain what advantages curves and
    the healing brush would give us?

    Mr. Guest

  11. #11

    In article <attbi.com>, Mr. Magoo
    <com> wrote:

    > For us naive Elements users, can you explain what advantages curves and
    > the healing brush would give us?
    >[/ref]

    Okay, the Healing Brush is very similar to the Retouch Brush in iPhoto
    -- it blends out the imperfections using the tones, shading, etc of
    surrounding pixels.

    Curves is like Levels on steroids. You can not only adjust the shadows,
    midtones, and highlights, but can do so in individual channels, and to
    varying degrees. Having said that, I must admit that it is a very rare
    image where I go to Curves rather than Levels. Obviously, Jeremy's
    mileage varies :)

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  12. #12

    Mr. Magoo <com> wrote:

    Curves allows precise color correction or adjustment, contrast and tonal
    curve adjustment, etc. You can do some of it with Levels, but Curves is
    far more precise and flexible. It lets you adjust the response curve in
    individual channels or overall. I use it on almost every picture I load
    up, for both minor and major corrections. I use Levels for highlights
    and shadows, and occasionally gamma, but for color correction, you can't
    beat Curves. It's easy to, for example, make a slight adjustment to only
    the shadow areas without affecting the highlights.

    Presumably, it's not in Elements because it's a somewhat advanced tool,
    and is probably overkill for casual snapshot users. Which is fine, but it
    is one of the reasons a more serious photographer would have to use the
    full Photoshop instead (which is the whole point, I guess; I just wish
    Photoshop wasn't so absurdly priced).

    The Healing Brush is much like having the hand of Jesus reach out and
    touch your picture. Great for dust, scratches, acne, etc. It's sort of
    like how you always wished you could make the Clone tool behave sometimes
    (though it by no means replaces the Clone tool). Worth its weight in
    gold just in time saved; one click, and bye-bye pimple, and you'd never
    know it was ever there.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  13. #13

    In article <gunslinger.net>,
    <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Jeremy

    Er, ah, "...all but the very highest-end uses" means "Not suitable for
    the highest-end uses." In Elements "Levels" is a quite adequate
    substitute for "Curves."

    Oh, give me a break! "...all but the very highest-end uses" means "Not
    suitable for the highest-end uses." I've shown--and sold--a number of
    images that were edited solely with Elements, and they were well
    received. Not a single person said "Gee, too bad this was done with a
    program that doesn't have "Curves!"

    You remind me of the geniuses at Consumer Reports, who criticize sports
    cars for being small, noisy, hard-riding, and causing messed up hair.
    Idiots! Those are the reasons I buy the goddamned things! Oh, yeah, and
    "not enough headroom." Idiots! I measured my Miata's headroom today,
    and it extends to the end of the Universe.

    Davoud

  14. #14

    >I've shown--and sold--a number of

    Levels and Curves don't do the same thing; comparing the two is a bit like
    comparing a transmission to a shock absorber.

    Levels is used for manipulation of the image's histogram. Curves is used for
    manipulation of contrast, tonal range, and precise color correction. Each has
    its place; one is not a substitute for the other.

    For example, you can't use Levels to, say, increase an image's contrast,
    assuming it has a good tonal range overall; you can perform a histogram stretch
    (which will clip hilight and shadow detail), but that's not really the same
    thing.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  15. #15

    Davoud <com> wrote:

    I'd gotten the impression over time that you *were* a high-end user. I
    was pointing out a few reasons why you might not like a switch to Elements.

    I don't find Levels to be an adequate substitute for Curves, but if you
    do, that's cool; you get to save a few hundred bucks. :)

    That's not really a fair comparison, since the whole point of image
    correction is that the process of correction should be invisible in the
    final product.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  16. #16

    Tacit <com> wrote:

    Nice; that's a far better short comparison than I was able to make. :)

    Yep, and you can't use Curves to pull out the highlight and shadow levels to
    (or toward) white and black.

    I've been doing a *lot* of image editing lately as I make my way back into
    photography after a few years of not doing nearly enough of it, and I use
    both tools on almost all my pictures. I was merely pointing out why a
    sufficiently serious user might not find Elements adequate.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  17. #17

    In article <gunslinger.net>,
    Jeremy <com> wrote:

    Except for the histogram display, there is nothing that can be done with
    Levels that cannot be done with Curves. (And even the histogram display
    has been integrated into Curves by others, like Nikon, but not Adobe,
    for some reason)

    "Pulling out the highlight levels towards white" = Moving the Input
    level (white triangle) from 255 to <255? Do this in Curves by moving the
    upper right end of the line from 255,255 to <255, and keeping the output
    at 255. (assuming you have 0,0 at the left lower corner and 255,255 at
    the right upper corner, with the line going from the left bottom to top
    right)

    "Pulling out the shadow levels towards black" = Moving the input level
    (black triangle) in Levels from 0 to >0 ? Do this in Curves by pulling
    the lower left end of the line from 0,0 to >0,0, thus increasing the
    input value and keeping the output at zero.

    And so on. If only we got the histogram, or even better, the clipping
    display, to Curves, one would not need to use Levels at all. so far I
    use Levels to check for clipping, write the values down and use those
    for start and end points for the channels.

    ..lauri
    l Guest

  18. #18

    Mr. Magoo <com> wrote:

    > Where does it claim that it is a Cocoa application?[/ref]

    Her word was "suggests," not "claims." Big difference.

    It apparently matters to the original poster. Perhaps he anticipates
    using it occasionally while booted in OS 9.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  19. #19

    >Yep, and you can't use Curves to pull out the highlight and shadow levels

    Yes, you can, by moving the endpoints of the curve inward. But you can't see
    the histogram while you're doing it, so you run the risk of clipping hilight
    and/or shadow detail.

    The biggest advantage of Levels in this regard is the ability to see the
    histogram; you can pull the hilight and shadow end inward until you just reach
    the beginnig of the histogram, and so stretch the histogram without losing
    image information.

    If you know where the lightest hilight and darkest shadow are, you can do the
    same with Curves by usiing the Info window to monitor what you're doing, but
    it's much more clumsy.

    Yep. Most images do benefit from the kind of specific, localized tonal and/or
    color correction afforded by Curves.

  20. #20

    l <com.invalid> wrote:

    It would be great if Adobe would combine Levels and Curves the same way
    NikonScan software does: The histogram is projected in the curves
    display. No need for a separate Levels option anymore!

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast