Professional Web Applications Themes

Photoshop InDesign Question. for the color geeks. - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

if I have both Photoshop CS and InDesign CS both colormanagers set Identical. If I place RGB .PSDs into ID, when I export my PDF from ID, will I get the correct/same CMYK conversion that I would get, if I flattened and converted the .PSD in Photoshop?...

  1. #1

    Default Photoshop InDesign Question. for the color geeks.

    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I don't know the answer but it sounds dangerous!

    I wonder if you would run into problems with files that are "linked" but not "embedded"?

    I have only ever placed CMYK files into InDesign -- it just seemed to be the logical way to work.
    Ann_Shelbourne@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    What made me think of this was making posters for bands.

    I would make a color version & a grayscale version.

    Because most of these posters were made at Kinko's I would make both an RGB and CMYK version, so it could be run on the first machine that was free.

    One day I forgot to convert to CMYK before making the PDFX/1a so it was converted using the conversion profile in ID I would have used in Photoshop. If this is true, this is really awsome. I will be doing some tests with a printer I'm going to be working with, I will let you guy's know the results.

    I was just wondering if MO had any experience with this?
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    BTW all files are linked I never embed anything.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    A lot of ad work that I do, NEVER comes in as RGB placed images. It's always CMYK. (right or wrong)

    In theory, as long as the color settings are the same, it should produce the same results. The problems happen when you have color mgmt. turned on and you have RGB and standing CMYK files placed in the same page layout app. INDY's color mgmt. will convert all files, RGB and CMYK if the CMYK file has a different profile than the working space. If the profile embedded in the image has the same color settings in INDY, the file is unchanged. To say the least, it can get ugly when mutiple parties get involved.

    Part of the big problem with the current development of color mgmt, is that it assumes one person or a very small group of people will be crunching the files. This is, never the case.

    Remember, if the file, RGB or CMYK is an EPS or PDF, it's not color "color changeable" so tiff and PSD would have to be placed. At least from the creation application level.

    So, if you have spot colors or vector objects, you are limited to what you can do.

    I myself am doing INDY research as we speak so if interested, contact me off list.

    us
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If you're careful to ensure that all the settings are identical, you can get identical RGB to CMYK conversions from Photoshp and InDesign. This doesn't guarantee that you WILL get identical conversions from Photoshop and ID....

    I don't recommend embedding graphics in InDesign files, ever, because you lose the ability to edit them.
    Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    If you built the PDF with no compression and no color conversion, yes, bu if you aren't extremely careful, what you extract from the PDf may be quite a bit different from what you fed into it.
    Bruce_Fraser@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    You need to use PS 5 because the PDF interpetor from 6 and up smears the pixels.
    Mike_Ornellas@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Chris Cox can you shed any light on this?
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Bump. just trying to catch CC's eye
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    1) InDesign does read the layers (they were forced to because too many people turned off "maximize compatibility"). Of course, reading layers is slower than just reading the composite image.

    2) In theory, InDesign's color conversions are the same as Photoshops because we share the same color engine. But I haven't tested this much.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Chris,

    But if there is a flattened version in the file will ID read that first? or will it still read just the layers.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I believe ID does prefer the flattened version -- but I haven't tested that lately.
    Chris_Cox@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Sounds like it'll read the composite first (and maybe only): "Of course, reading layers is slower than just reading the composite image."

    Surely this is identical to AICS....
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I think it's file format specific.