Professional Web Applications Themes

Photoshop Vs. Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have both photoshop and illustrator and do not yet know anything about either of them. What is the principle difference between the two, whih one should I learn first? Thanks. L....

  1. #1

    Default Photoshop Vs. Illustrator

    lowballer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photoshop Vs. Illustrator

    Photoshop: raster (pixel based images)
    Illustrator: vector (lines and curves between coordinates)

    Learn either one first. I suppose PS may be more funner to dink around with for a beginner.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  3. #3

    Lowballer,

    I suggest that you go and pay for it and get the manuals. Once you drop the Hundreds on the actual retail version, you may also be motivated to take a course to see how to use them. I would also suggest this, as they can be very complex programs, and just "owning" them makes you neither a fine or graphic artist, so if this is your desire, you need training.

    Jonathan

    PS, we don't tend to like helping people who download illegal versions of this software, so I hope this isn't you.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dear Jonathan,

    I started a new job in a graphics intensive department of the company, my expertise and reason for taking the position has very little to do with graphic design, I am just wondering what all this stuff does. The gentleman who was fired prior to my taking over his desk has the (fully licensed I am sure) Adobe suite on his computer (i.e. my computer, i.e. the company computer). By the way, he was an arrogant know-it-all, so they opted to let him go and subcontract all the graphic design to India for 10 cents on the dollar instead. I don't know where the manuals are, and I am not going to call him to ask. I did purchase a copy of 'Illustrator 10 for Windows and Mac' (Weinmann/Lourekas) just today and I am finding my away along quite nicely. Thanks for your concern in regards to my business (i.e. none of your business) and also the broader business of global piracy (I wonder if the Indians who we gave his job to have legit versions? I'll have to ask...) but I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for something like that.

    I will withhold further judgement because I'm a newcomer, but if one had to assess your character on the basis of that response alone, one might be forced to conclude that you were a complete prick. I hope that isn't the case.

    PS- Bert, thanks for the reply.
    lowballer@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    omgwtfpwndbbq!
    kaje103@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Lowballer,

    Photoshop is akin to a paint-brush. Illustrator is more akin to precision
    set of drawing tools.

    You will probably find Photoshop easier to get the basics of, just as
    children find a paintbrush more instinctive than a ruler, pencil and
    compasses. Both are HUGE applications, and neither is easy to master.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Important core issue to learn about:

    The difference between raster and vector.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    He told you Jonathan . Maybe you shouldnt assume things before you know the story.
    shawnp80@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Lowballer, it is unfortunate that you had to be subjected to that posting, don't let it discourage you from posting further questions. The suggestions that have been given are right on, but I found a link that may help. It is very basic but it sounds like you might want it rather basic.

    <http://shg.ic.ucsb.edu/projects/view_project/index.php?project_id=000007>

    Both programs are great and there are different uses for each. Best of luck in your endeavors.
    Leanne_Armstrong@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    In defence of Jonathan, we see a lot of pirates coming in here and asking silly questions. You wouldn't believe the nerve of these people. Good luck learning Illy. Have fun. :)
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I do humbly apologize for my haste in judgement. We do often have many people come here asking for such silly things as how to find serial codes and the like that often lead us to assume things (sorry, but the name did not help). I again state that I am sorry, and hope that in the future, I can possibly help you to achieve a higher understanding of Illi and the graphic arts.

    Jonathan

    PS. I deserved all the critism. Thank you for pointing out the shortness of judgement on my part in this case.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    It takes a big man to post that. Your apology deserves to be accepted
    without question, Jonathan.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Jonathan,

    Apology accepted, not a problem. Just so you know, lowballer comes from my knack for getting the worst possible hands in poker, giving me a distinctive edge in the game of lowball (where the lowest hand wins). I can see how that might be misconstrued, but hey, I have no idea what sort of community inhabits this board.

    Appreciate all of your comments and encouragement, I am starting to get the hang of Illustrator but haven't put enough time into it to ask any intelligent questions.

    I do have one stupid question though, if you don't mind. I cannot seem to find the tool to make a simple crop. Say I have a picture of a person and a background, and I want to cut the person's head out of the picture. All I have been able to do so far is stretch them or condense them, which of course messes up the picture. I'm sure it's an easy thing to do, yet my Illutrator book and the help section both fail to address cropping in any straightforward manner.

    Other than that, having fun with it so far, and at this rate I fully expect to be a master graphics deisgner in 10 or 20 years.

    Cheers...
    lowballer@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Under the object menu there is a crop command. The way I use it, without reading the manual (so I don't know the theory) select crop, then select release and it gives you a bounding box. You can scale that to crop the image however you want.
    Robert_Overbeck@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Lowballer,

    The crop function you seem to be seeking is called clipping mask in Illustrator. If you use this function instead of the basic square box, you can draw any shape path using the pen tool as long as it is closed, then place over the image you would like to crop/clip and after selecting both, right click and select clipping mask.

    Jon

    PS Sorry again, I was having a VERY bad day, but should never have taken it out on you. I'm all better now, Comic-Con is in town ;).
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    lowballer,

    One thing I think should be pointed out.

    Both these program are highly complex applications that are designed to be used by graphics professionals. That doesn't mean that ordinary mortals like you and I can't use them to good effect. What it does mean is that both are exercises in continuous learning. You're unlikely ever to reach the point where you can honestly say "I know everything there is to know about Illustrator" (or Photoshop). Almost every day I use these programs -- and I use them almost every day -- I learn something new. And almost every day I lurk these forums I learn something new, too.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Almost every day I use these programs -- and I use them almost every day

    Ahhh, poetry in motion.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  18. #18

    lowballer--

    Two other good books to get you started are the Classroom in a Book series for Photoshop and Illustrator. They will walk you through the basic functions of each program.

    I too use these tools every day, and every day I learn something new about them!
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Thumbs up Re: Photoshop Vs. Illustrator

    Quote Originally Posted by lowballeradobeforums.com View Post
[...]

    Excellent reply! I myself thought he was a prick too!
    Unregistered Guest

  20. #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_McClinticadobeforums.com View Post
    Lowballer,

    I suggest that you go and pay for it and get the manuals. Once you drop the Hundreds on the actual retail version, you may also be motivated to take a course to see how to use them. I would also suggest this, as they can be very complex programs, and just "owning" them makes you neither a fine or graphic artist, so if this is your desire, you need training.

    Jonathan

    PS, we don't tend to like helping people who download illegal versions of this software, so I hope this isn't you.
    wow, you sound like a complete douche
    Unregistered Guest