Professional Web Applications Themes

PHP and Access databases - PHP Development

[email]joanne.hallbtinternet.com[/email] idiotically stated: > Hello > > I am a web designer who is slowly trying to learn more about web > development. I have a client who would like to drive their website > using a database so I am now in the perfect situation to move my > skills forward. goto [url]www.devshed.com[/url] and read their php/mysql tutorials. they basically walk you through setting up, designing, maintaining, and using a php-mysql driven dynamic website. you can then really design any kind of setup you want - account managers, content managers, blogging tools, really anything your heart desires. -- brian ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: PHP and Access databases

    --
    brian ... briancc

    brian Guest

  2. #2

    Jo wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am a web designer who is slowly trying to learn more about web
    > development. I have a client who would like to drive their website
    > using a database so I am now in the perfect situation to move my
    > skills forward.
    >
    > I know a little about databases or the scripting languages that
    > connect them to web pages (is that the right terminology?!) but I am
    > determined to improve my skills in this area.
    >
    > However, I have a few constraints:
    >
    > The little that I know about databases is centered around Access so I
    > would prefer to use that if I can. I have played with MySQL but seeing
    > as I am a novice, I find it a little tricky to work with.
    If you played with Access, I suppose you at least know some bits of SQL.
    If not, nothing prevent you from looking at the SQL code outputed py the
    QBE. Even if it may have some pitfalls, SQL is quite straightforward for
    usual requests.

    MySQL is pretty simple to use, is a real database server, and is quite
    fast for read access (no pun). No mystery why it's the de facto standard
    for web development.

    > Also, all my clients use unix servers so, after a little research, I
    > have come to the conclusion that PHP is my only option - is this the
    > correct assumption?
    No, you may use Java, Python, Perl etc... And probably even ASP (yuck),
    but in your case, PHP is probably (with a very high probability) the
    best choice.

    BTW, if your clients use unix servers, definitively forget about Access,
    <troll>and step into the real OS world</troll>.

    Seriously, why would you get stuck with a stupid proprietary
    non-standard indexed-file-based so called DBMS, when you can get a good
    fast standard SQL server ?-)

    > So, my main question is: can I use Access and PHP together?
    I guess you could, but why would you ? I strongly advise you not to do
    this. Take some time to install and learn MySQL, and go for it.

    There are PHP/Apache/MySQL packages that are easy to install, like
    EasyPhp (someone else might tell you more about this...).

    Bruno

    Bruno Desthuilliers Guest

  3. #3

    > The little that I know about databases is centered around Access so I
    > would prefer to use that if I can. I have played with MySQL but seeing
    > as I am a novice, I find it a little tricky to work with.
    From PHP mySQL is about the easiest you can get. Support is built in so
    connecting and executing the queries is very easy. Its been years since I
    used Access and can't even remember how it's queried, but SQL syntax is
    really very simple, and reading the doentation for PHP and mySQL will
    give you a great insight into using it. The PHP doentation will give you
    the commands you need to connect to the database, and the mySQL docs have a
    good section on the SQL itself, for how to get information out and put
    information into the database. Access is only good for very very low usage
    sites, its probably the worst option there is for a database for the web.
    It is designed for few concurrent users, and isn't particularly fast, so
    even a moderately sized website would end up slowed down with failing
    requests to the database. As you're in Unix anyway, Access is well out of
    its native environment, and if they have webservers with PHP the chances are
    that they already have mySQL on the server. Basically, it is well worth the
    extra initial effort to learn how to use mySQL effectively.
    > Also, all my clients use unix servers so, after a little research, I
    > have come to the conclusion that PHP is my only option - is this the
    > correct assumption?
    There are other options, but PHP is the most common for good reason. The
    other common scripting is ASP, but support for than on Unix isn't brilliant,
    and with PHP available theres no reason to use ASP.
    > So, my main question is: can I use Access and PHP together? And, if
    > I can, could anyone recommend a good tutorial/book I can follow to get
    > me started?
    Yes is the simple answer, but its really not a great idea to do so. Use
    PHP, use mySQL, and personally I found the doentation for both these
    enough to make the database work - they include little examples of code
    throughout so building up the code is very easy. If you do want a
    full-n tutorial, there will be a hell of a lot more inforamtion about
    PHP+mySQL than PHP+Access.

    David

    David Walker Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic replies to my post.

    So...you've convinced me! I'm going to take your advice and leave
    Access well alone. However, can I learn PHP and MySQL at the same
    time? Should I devote all my energy to learning one at a time
    instead?

    Thanks again!

    Jo
    Jo Guest

  5. #5

    contained the following:

    >So...you've convinced me! I'm going to take your advice and leave
    >Access well alone. However, can I learn PHP and MySQL at the same
    >time? Should I devote all my energy to learning one at a time
    >instead?
    No one can know what your skill level is or to what level of complexity you
    wish to work. The rabbit hole goes on forever.

    For single table stuff you could be running queries in an hour or so.
    However if your programming skills are minimal you would be better doing a
    few exercises first. There are plenty of 'introduction to php' tutorials
    out there. I recommend the webmonkey ones.

    Setting up databases in MySql is a lot easier if you have phpMyadmin
    enabled but it still requires a bit more savvy than basic Access IMO. That
    said, once you get the hang of it I find it's often easier.
    --
    Geoff Berrow
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  6. #6

    Thanks Geoff - I will take your advice and start with the webmonkey
    tutorials on php.

    Jo
    Jo Guest