Professional Web Applications Themes

PHP / Apache bus error - FreeBSD

I've done a lot of snooping around Google to figure this out. I've come to the conclusion that PHP just plain s ;c) I am fairly consistently getting bus errors in Apache when I use PHP (or at least, I'm fairly sure it is due to PHP). Entries like: .... [notice] child pid 70121 exit signal Segmentation fault (11) Or if I run Apache in stand-alone mode, I will often simply get: Bus Error and it exits immediately. I am running php4-4.3.10_2 and apache+mod_ssl-1.3.33+2.8.22 on FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE (Generic kernel). Is this something that will clear up if I move ...

  1. #1

    Default PHP / Apache bus error

    I've done a lot of snooping around Google to figure this out. I've come
    to the conclusion that PHP just plain s ;c)

    I am fairly consistently getting bus errors in Apache when I use PHP (or
    at least, I'm fairly sure it is due to PHP). Entries like:

    .... [notice] child pid 70121 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

    Or if I run Apache in stand-alone mode, I will often simply get:

    Bus Error

    and it exits immediately.

    I am running php4-4.3.10_2 and apache+mod_ssl-1.3.33+2.8.22 on
    FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE (Generic kernel).

    Is this something that will clear up if I move to FreeBSD 5.3? Or is
    there some other known work-around? I ask because I have a 5.3 box here
    at home that does not seem to be exhibiting this behavior.

    Thanks.
    Tom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PHP / Apache bus error

    On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 09:22 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:

    One way to find out is to comment out the

    LoadModule php4_module libexec/apache/libphp4.so
    and
    AddModule mod_php4.c

    in httpd.conf and restart apache. I think you need to make sure this is
    the source of the problem before getting too involved in trying to fix
    it.

    But then, I've found most apache/php errors actually derive from some
    php extension and this can be traced by a process of elimination. It's
    often then a dependency of the extension that has been updated, or
    something.

    Yes, but going to 4.11 should fix it as well.

    Peter.

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    > But then, I've found most apache/php errors actually derive from some

    I'm starting to think there's something funky about PHP and MySQL.
     [/ref]

    Can you explain why? What is it about 4.11 vs 4.9 with regard to this issue?
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:02 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:

    > I'm starting to think there's something funky about PHP and MySQL.
    > [/ref]

    > Can you explain why? What is it about 4.11 vs 4.9 with regard to this issue?[/ref]

    Just that it's an up-to-date release.

    PHP and its extensions do depend on bits of the base system. You are
    using the very latest ported version, so far as I can see, with an out
    of date world.

    http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

    says:

    <quote>
    The Ports Collection supports the latest release on the FreeBSD-CURRENT
    and FreeBSD-STABLE branches. Older releases are not supported and may or
    may not work correctly with an up-to-date ports collection. Over time,
    changes to the ports collection may rely on features that are not
    present in older releases. Wherever convenient, we try not to
    gratuitously break support for recent releases, but it is sometimes
    unavoidable. When this occurs, patches contributed by the user community
    to maintain support for older releases will usually be committed.
    </quote>

    Peter.

    Peter.

    Peter Guest

  5. #5

    Peter Risdon wrote:

    >Just that it's an up-to-date release.
    >
    >PHP and its extensions do depend on bits of the base system. You are
    >using the very latest ported version, so far as I can see, with an out
    >of date world.
    >[/ref]

    Okay, I suspect I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I must admit, tho,
    I have some irrational fears about upgrading the core system.

    1. I've never done it before

    2. The server in question is in Texas. I am in Colorado.

    3. I would rather not have to rent KVM and reboot into single user mode
    .... but will if I must ...

    (( sigh ))

    If I'm going to upgrade the system, does it make sense to just go
    straight to 5.3?
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 19:31 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:

    > >Just that it's an up-to-date release.
    > >
    > >PHP and its extensions do depend on bits of the base system. You are
    > >using the very latest ported version, so far as I can see, with an out
    > >of date world.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Okay, I suspect I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I must admit, tho,
    > I have some irrational fears about upgrading the core system.
    >
    > 1. I've never done it before
    >
    > 2. The server in question is in Texas. I am in Colorado.
    >
    > 3. I would rather not have to rent KVM and reboot into single user mode
    > ... but will if I must ...[/ref]

    You don't _have_ to boot into single user mode. See below.

    No, this would have some issues that you might be better avoiding right
    now. Going to 4.11 should be straightforward. Moving from 4.x to 5.3 is
    pretty complicated and a backup/reinstall is a better idea, so you can
    take full advantage of changes to the filesystem.

    The only time I have ever had a problem with a remote upgrade within the
    4.x tree was when _I_ made a mistake. If you follow the handbook
    carefully, it should be fine. The procedure ensures you will have
    successfully completed the compilation of the base system (world) and
    kernel before either is installed.

    The only difference from the procedure in the handbook for a remote
    upgrade is that you would not boot into single user mode at any point,
    obviously, but instead do a normal reboot.

    Do read /usr/src/UPDATING, consider what you might need
    in /etc/make.conf and understand how mergemaster(8) works before
    starting.

    Peter.

    Peter Guest

  7. #7

    Peter Risdon helpful contributes:

    Okay, cool.

    I have one last question (me thinks) before I attempt this. (and I'll
    attempt it on my home server, first, even though it is a 5.3 box. At
    least I can get practice).

    On the 4.9 server, what should my supfile's tag be?

    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_11

    Is that right?

    And I assume I would then be safe doing:

    rm -fr /usr/src
    cvsup stable-supfile

    [ re: going from 4.x to 5.x]

    I've since gathered that is the case. I can see it is possible, but
    since the server has two drives, I think I'll wait on this, install 5.3
    on the second drive, and deal with that stuff then.

    You think you're special, eh? :c)
    I make some JUICY mistakes sometimes, too!!

    Generally, I am the only user logged into the machine. So the only issue
    is running processes, which I am not all that worried about since right
    after the install I'm going to reboot.....

    Thank you, Peter.
    Tom Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 09:49 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:
    [...]

    If you like. I'd use

    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

    The difference has been discussed exhaustively on this list before. This
    is a good example:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-July/053176.html

    No need for this line. If you've ever made world or kernel before
    there's a BIG need for:

    # cd /usr/obj
    # chflags -R noschg *
    # rm -rf *

    before doing it again. But this is all in the handbook.

    #cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile

    Peter.

    Peter Guest

  9. #9

    >Okay, cool.
    >[/ref]

    I did it. Upgraded to 4.11 without any problems.

    However ... I still have the following problems:

    1. child pid 28305 exit signal Segmentation fault (11) messages (lots of
    'em) in httpd error logs.

    2. Gallery doesn't work. Returns an empty page, and I get a Signal 10 in
    the error log.

    3. Drupal doesn't work. Blank php page is returned.

    I'm fairly confident this is php / mysql / httpd related. So, for your
    reference, I have:

    apache+mod_ssl-1.3.33+2.8.22

    php4-4.3.10_2
    php4-gettext-4.3.10_2
    php4-mysql-4.3.10_2
    php4-pcre-4.3.10_2
    php4-pear-4.3.10_2
    php4-pgsql-4.3.10_2
    php4-session-4.3.10_2
    php4-xml-4.3.10_2

    mysql-client-3.23.58
    mysql-client-4.0.15
    mysql-server-3.23.58
    php4-mysql-4.3.10_2
    zope-zmysqlda-2.0.8_1

    I do not know HOW I ended up with two installs of mysql client .. but
    there ya go.

    So if anyone sees anything obvious in those versions ... I would love to
    hear about it.

    Tom Guest