Professional Web Applications Themes

PHP Book Recommendations - PHP Development

Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP. As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing course materials goes. So here's the questions: What PHP books do you like? Why do you like them? What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have mentioned? What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as knowing which books are ...

  1. #1

    Default PHP Book Recommendations

    Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP.
    As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing
    materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good
    Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing
    course materials goes.

    So here's the questions:

    What PHP books do you like?
    Why do you like them?
    What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have
    mentioned?
    What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as
    knowing which books are popular is knowing which are *un*popular)
    What other PHP resources have you used and why?

    Keep in mind that I am just feeling out the PHP community for opinions. If
    in fact there *is* a PHP community.

    Thanks, all...
    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Johns Hopkins University | Baltimore, MD

    Jeffrey Silverman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PHP Book Recommendations

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP.
    > As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing
    > materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good
    > Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing
    > course materials goes.
    >
    > So here's the questions:
    >
    > What PHP books do you like?
    > Why do you like them?
    > What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have
    > mentioned?
    > What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as
    > knowing which books are popular is knowing which are *un*popular)
    > What other PHP resources have you used and why?
    >
    > Keep in mind that I am just feeling out the PHP community for opinions. If
    > in fact there *is* a PHP community.
    >
    > Thanks, all...
    You can kill 2 boid's with one stone.

    I like "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling & Laura Thomson
    ccn - 99-64841 The examples are numerous and executeable - they really
    really work - 860 pages, 14 lbs and way too much money - think I just
    describe every puter book on the shelf :-(.

    ... resources ...: this NG, [url]http://forums.devshed.com/forumdisplay.php[/url] and
    [url]www.php.net[/url]

    .... my description of the elephant ;-)

    Cal Lidderdale Guest

  3. #3

    Hello,

    On 10/08/2003 05:38 PM, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP.
    > As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing
    > materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good
    > Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing
    > course materials goes.
    >
    > So here's the questions:
    >
    > What PHP books do you like?
    > Why do you like them?
    > What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have
    > mentioned?
    > What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as
    > knowing which books are popular is knowing which are *un*popular)
    > What other PHP resources have you used and why?
    >
    > Keep in mind that I am just feeling out the PHP community for opinions. If
    > in fact there *is* a PHP community.
    You can find here plenty of recommended PHP books that were already
    reviewed:

    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/products.html[/url]

    --

    Regards,
    Manuel Lemos

    Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
    [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/[/url]

    Manuel Lemos Guest

  4. #4

    Cal Lidderdale wrote:
    > Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >> Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP.
    >> As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing
    >> materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good
    >> Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing
    >> course materials goes.
    >>
    >> So here's the questions:
    >>
    >> What PHP books do you like?
    >> Why do you like them?
    >> What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have
    >> mentioned?
    >> What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as
    >> knowing which books are popular is knowing which are *un*popular)
    >> What other PHP resources have you used and why?
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that I am just feeling out the PHP community for opinions.
    >> If in fact there *is* a PHP community.
    >>
    >> Thanks, all...
    >
    > You can kill 2 boid's with one stone.
    >
    > I like "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling & Laura Thomson
    > ccn - 99-64841 The examples are numerous and executeable - they really
    > really work - 860 pages, 14 lbs and way too much money - think I just
    > describe every puter book on the shelf :-(.
    >
    > .. resources ...: this NG, [url]http://forums.devshed.com/forumdisplay.php[/url] and
    > [url]www.php.net[/url]
    >
    > ... my description of the elephant ;-)
    I'm using Mastering PHP 4.1 by Jeremy Allen and Charles Hornberger (old yea,
    I'm sure theres a new ver) ISBN 0-7821-2924-2. This ones only 700 pages...
    wow... a shorty. LOL. Its good though, has a pretty good section on SQL
    queries, including the basics of JOINS and all the rules of normalization.
    Which book you get depends on how much you want to teach. If you are in
    the San Fransisco area, stop by Stacy's (spelling?) book store. It is
    famous for tech books. *drools* MMmmmm... tech books.....

    -Eric Kincl
    Eric Kincl Guest

  5. #5

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

    > Hi all. I am going to be teaching an introductory, course on PHP.
    > As this course has not been offered before, there are no existing
    > materials or list of resources for me to choose from. This is a Good
    > Thing(TM) because I get to do Whatever I Want(TM) as far as choosing
    > course materials goes.

    There are a few book reviews at accu.org, not nearly the number as for
    the more established languages. However, you may want to read them over.

    [url]http://accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/php.htm[/url]

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:30:19 -0300, Manuel Lemos wrote:

    <anip!>
    > [url]http://www.phpclasses.org/products.html[/url]
    Thanks Manuel. I actually did go to your site for a bit.

    Can I recommend a rating system of some kind for your book reviews? The
    fact that there are reviews is great. However, sometimes the reviews felt
    a bit on the fluff side or were hard to digest and assimilate from the
    standpoint of trying to make a decision like the one I need to make.

    Something like
    Ratings (or Summary or similar)
    Expertise level: beginner/intermediate/advanced
    Readability: 1-5 stars
    Examples: 1-5 stars
    Errors: 1-5 stars (I've noticed a lot of books have typos and whatnot.
    More stars would mean less typos or something like that)
    Overall: 1-5 stars

    Something along those lines. People on the web and using the web expect
    these instant summaries, and they can be useful.

    just my 2 cents. later...

  7. #7

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <jeffreyjhu.edu> wrote in message
    > So here's the questions:
    >
    > What PHP books do you like?
    > Why do you like them?
    > What expertise range is targeted by the particular book(s) you have
    > mentioned?
    > What books do you really *not* like and why? (just as useful info as
    > knowing which books are popular is knowing which are *un*popular)
    > What other PHP resources have you used and why?
    >
    > Keep in mind that I am just feeling out the PHP community for opinions. If
    > in fact there *is* a PHP community.
    Here are a few books I found interesting:

    [url]http://www.templatetamer.org/index.php?RecommendedBooks[/url]

    rush
    p.s. there my affilite ids on the links to the books so if you do not like
    that do not click on them and instead serach directly in amazon.
    --
    [url]http://www.templatetamer.com/[/url]

    rush Guest

  8. #8

    Hello,

    On 10/08/2003 07:35 PM, Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    >>[url]http://www.phpclasses.org/products.html[/url]
    >

    > Thanks Manuel. I actually did go to your site for a bit.
    >
    > Can I recommend a rating system of some kind for your book reviews? The
    > fact that there are reviews is great. However, sometimes the reviews felt
    > a bit on the fluff side or were hard to digest and assimilate from the
    > standpoint of trying to make a decision like the one I need to make.
    >
    > Something like
    > Ratings (or Summary or similar)
    > Expertise level: beginner/intermediate/advanced
    > Readability: 1-5 stars
    > Examples: 1-5 stars
    > Errors: 1-5 stars (I've noticed a lot of books have typos and whatnot.
    > More stars would mean less typos or something like that)
    > Overall: 1-5 stars
    >
    > Something along those lines. People on the web and using the web expect
    > these instant summaries, and they can be useful.
    Sounds like a good idea, although it takes some work to put in practice.

    I will put it in my todo list to also let the users rate and add their
    own comments about each book.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

  9. #9

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:34:15 +0000, Ian.H wrote:

    <snip!>

    > If you _really_ want dead tree material... I'd say apart from 'PHP and
    > MySQL Web Development', most publications from O'Reilly are a good and
    > safe bet (although somewhat pricey maybe.. but I believe you get what you
    > pay for (in this case anyway)).

    (I've bought a coupla O'Reilly books that I thought ed. Notably,
    "Apache: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Ed.")

    Yes, well, a major component of the class, if I have my way (and I will),
    will be instruction on how to use the PHP.net website. Too many noobs,
    for example, don't know how to ustilize that resource.

    But I do need "dead tree" materials. Gotta hand something out...or do I?

    hmm... or maybe not. I'll think about that; you make a good point. I
    realize that I, although I own a couple of PHP books, *never* refer to
    them for anything. Only php.net's doentation. Why the heck should I
    suggest a book if I don't even use 'em myself? ...just thinking out loud,
    now.

    thanks...