Hi again, everyone --

I have a feeling that our problem is a lousy php.ini configuration. For
both module and CLI php we're using /usr/local/lib/php.ini, so I look in
there and I see

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = [email]melocalhost.com[/email]

; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t-i").
;sendmail_path =

and get a little worried. But in the phpinfo() output I have

sendmail_from [email]melocalhost.com[/email] [email]melocalhost.com[/email]
sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

(for both web and CLI) which, aside from the silly sendmail_from value,
looks right after all.

Do our admins have us set up to make an SMTP connection -- back to
ourselves, even -- for every mail? If not, how on earth do we have a
value for sendmail_path (which, in fact, points to an existing link to
qmail's sendmail, just as it should).

If I DO need to fix it, what are the *correct* values for sendmail_from
and SMTP on this *NIX box; should I just comment them out? And then I
imagine that apache needs a restart to see the new php.ini values, no?

Even more confused,
:-D
--
David T-G * There is too much animal courage in
(play) [email]davidtgjustpickone.org[/email] * society and not sufficient moral courage.