Professional Web Applications Themes

PHP Install on Win XP, IIS - PHP Development

Hi, Please bear with me as I'm a newbie at this. I'm trying to install PHP on my Win XP Pro machine. I've read many web sites giving installation instructions but can't seem to get it working. Is there somebody who could give me clear instructions on how to install and configure it? From what I've read, I've been able to do everything that seems to have to be done except for one thing. I'm using an NTFS file system and I've read that I must go to the PHP directory, select Properties and go to the Security tab. The ...

  1. #1

    Default PHP Install on Win XP, IIS

    Hi,
    Please bear with me as I'm a newbie at this.
    I'm trying to install PHP on my Win XP Pro machine. I've read many web
    sites giving installation instructions but can't seem to get it
    working. Is there somebody who could give me clear instructions on how
    to install and configure it?

    From what I've read, I've been able to do everything that seems to
    have to be done except for one thing. I'm using an NTFS file system
    and I've read that I must go to the PHP directory, select Properties
    and go to the Security tab. The problem is, I don't see a Security tab
    and therefore can't proceed.

    There may be other problems with my configuration so if anyone who
    could walk me through or point me to a good site that will do so it
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    David G.
    David G. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PHP Install on Win XP, IIS

    Did you install Apache?

    What specific errors are you getting?

    Are you signed in as a user with rights to set security for folders?

    "David G." <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    news:1115b200.0309261114.5c4e9dc2posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > Please bear with me as I'm a newbie at this.
    > I'm trying to install PHP on my Win XP Pro machine. I've read many web
    > sites giving installation instructions but can't seem to get it
    > working. Is there somebody who could give me clear instructions on how
    > to install and configure it?
    >
    > From what I've read, I've been able to do everything that seems to
    > have to be done except for one thing. I'm using an NTFS file system
    > and I've read that I must go to the PHP directory, select Properties
    > and go to the Security tab. The problem is, I don't see a Security tab
    > and therefore can't proceed.
    >
    > There may be other problems with my configuration so if anyone who
    > could walk me through or point me to a good site that will do so it
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David G.

    Philo Del Middleston Guest

  3. #3

    I am not using Apache. I am using Internet Information Service v5.1. And
    yes, I am a user with rights to set security on folders.

    I do not get any error messages when I to open a php file. If I open it in a
    browser window, I get a blank page and when I view the source code, I see
    the original code, php and all which makes me think the browser isn't
    processing the php.

    "Philo Del Middleston" <bitbucketsobranisoft.com> wrote in message
    news:bu0db.27399$iO.25518bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Did you install Apache?
    >
    > What specific errors are you getting?
    >
    > Are you signed in as a user with rights to set security for folders?
    >
    > "David G." <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    > news:1115b200.0309261114.5c4e9dc2posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > > Please bear with me as I'm a newbie at this.
    > > I'm trying to install PHP on my Win XP Pro machine. I've read many web
    > > sites giving installation instructions but can't seem to get it
    > > working. Is there somebody who could give me clear instructions on how
    > > to install and configure it?
    > >
    > > From what I've read, I've been able to do everything that seems to
    > > have to be done except for one thing. I'm using an NTFS file system
    > > and I've read that I must go to the PHP directory, select Properties
    > > and go to the Security tab. The problem is, I don't see a Security tab
    > > and therefore can't proceed.
    > >
    > > There may be other problems with my configuration so if anyone who
    > > could walk me through or point me to a good site that will do so it
    > > would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > David G.

    David Guest

  4. #4

    > I currently have PHP installed on my XP Pro workstation, and using IIS.
    >
    > But I installed it maybe a year ago, and I remember that I got some
    > problems, but I finally got it worked.
    >
    > If you right click on the "My Computer" icon, click on "Manage", click the
    +
    > sign beside "Services and Applications", click on the + sign beside
    > "Internet Information Services", right-click on "Web Sites" select
    > "Properties".
    >
    > A new window will open, you should now select the "Home Directory" tab,
    > click on "Configuration" and check if the .php extension is in this list.
    > If you could see the php script in your browser, this is probably because
    > the .php extension is not in this list.
    >

    > You should have something like the picture I included.
    >

    > "David" <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    > news:jJ0db.7173$ev2.3722969newssrv26.news.prodigy .com...
    > > I am not using Apache. I am using Internet Information Service v5.1. And
    > > yes, I am a user with rights to set security on folders.
    > >
    > > I do not get any error messages when I to open a php file. If I open it
    in
    > > browser window, I get a blank page and when I view the source code, I
    see
    > > the original code, php and all which makes me think the browser isn't
    > > processing the php.
    > >

    > > "Philo Del Middleston" <bitbucketsobranisoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:bu0db.27399$iO.25518bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > > > Did you install Apache?
    > > >
    > > > What specific errors are you getting?
    > > >
    > > > Are you signed in as a user with rights to set security for folders?
    > > >
    > > > "David G." <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:1115b200.0309261114.5c4e9dc2posting.google.c om...

    Yves Brault Guest

  5. #5

    Yeah, it sounds like IIS doesn't understand what PHP means.

    I wish I could help you more with this, but the way that I wound up with PHP
    on my box was that my IIS installation got y on me and I got fed up
    with it. I turned off IIS and installed Apache and PHP and abandoned IIS and
    ASP. Unless you *need* to run IIS, it might be easier to turn it off and put
    Apache in on your system, then try again.

    Anyway, if you continue to have trouble, Apache is an option to consider. I
    found it very painless to install and get PHP working with it, and I haven't
    missed IIS even a little bit.

    "David" <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    news:jJ0db.7173$ev2.3722969newssrv26.news.prodigy .com...
    > I am not using Apache. I am using Internet Information Service v5.1. And
    > yes, I am a user with rights to set security on folders.
    >
    > I do not get any error messages when I to open a php file. If I open it in
    > browser window, I get a blank page and when I view the source code, I see
    > the original code, php and all which makes me think the browser isn't
    > processing the php.
    >

    > "Philo Del Middleston" <bitbucketsobranisoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:bu0db.27399$iO.25518bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > > Did you install Apache?
    > >
    > > What specific errors are you getting?
    > >
    > > Are you signed in as a user with rights to set security for folders?
    > >
    > > "David G." <serviceaudioconsultants.com> wrote in message
    > > news:1115b200.0309261114.5c4e9dc2posting.google.c om...
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Please bear with me as I'm a newbie at this.
    > > > I'm trying to install PHP on my Win XP Pro machine. I've read many web
    > > > sites giving installation instructions but can't seem to get it
    > > > working. Is there somebody who could give me clear instructions on how
    > > > to install and configure it?
    > > >
    > > > From what I've read, I've been able to do everything that seems to
    > > > have to be done except for one thing. I'm using an NTFS file system
    > > > and I've read that I must go to the PHP directory, select Properties
    > > > and go to the Security tab. The problem is, I don't see a Security tab
    > > > and therefore can't proceed.
    > > >
    > > > There may be other problems with my configuration so if anyone who
    > > > could walk me through or point me to a good site that will do so it
    > > > would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > David G.

    Philo Del Middleston Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:35:20 -0400, "Philo Del Middleston"
    <bitbucketsobranisoft.com> wrote:
    >Anyway, if you continue to have trouble, Apache is an option to consider. I
    >found it very painless to install and get PHP working with it, and I haven't
    >missed IIS even a little bit.
    If you're using XP, you're better to use KFWebServer :

    [url]http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/[/url]

    Very easy to use, user friendly, and so on. It's worth having a look.
    --
    Psykotik.

    Spammator : to email me, just replace "nospam" by "ch"
    Psykotik Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, but Apache and I are getting along just fine. I run a few Linux web
    servers, too, so having Apache everywhere is a big plus.