Professional Web Applications Themes

[PHP] PHP Editor - which to use? - PHP Development

well, i like to use dreamweaver mx or textpad with the syntax highlighting file you additionally have to download. i dunno if there are special "php-must-have-editors". grtz jan -----Original Message----- From: Binay [mailto:binayoliveinternet.com] Sent: Montag, 22. September 2003 10:58 To: [email]php-generallists.php.net[/email] Subject: [PHP] PHP Editor - which to use? Hi everybody! Please suggest me a good PHP editor like ( Microsoft's Interdev for ASP)to write my php programs/scripts and get a visual feel. Thanks Binay...

  1. #1

    Default RE: [PHP] PHP Editor - which to use?

  2. #2

    Not a "php-must-have-editors" but useful ones, for example, are phpEd
    and Zend Studio (text completion, functions library, ...). I found that
    Zend Studio is a good one because of internal CVS connexions, work on
    UNIX & Windows systems, Project managements, ... I think it's a good
    choice for a professional use.

    Cordialement,
    Jean-Philippe BENARD
    Consultant STERIA Infogérance
    (jean-philippe.benard-renexterrenault.com)

    Please suggest me a good PHP editor like ( Microsoft's Interdev for
    ASP) to write my php programs/scripts and get a visual feel.

    Thanks
    Binay

    Benard Jean-Philippe Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: [PHP] RE : [PHP] PHP Editor - which to use?

    On Monday 22 Sep 2003 11:35, BENARD Jean-philippe wrote:
    > Not a "php-must-have-editors" but useful ones, for example, are phpEd
    > and Zend Studio (text completion, functions library, ...). I found that
    > Zend Studio is a good one because of internal CVS connexions, work on
    > UNIX & Windows systems, Project managements, ... I think it's a good
    > choice for a professional use.
    Another vote for Zend. I tend to use vi, but I'm loving the CVS integration
    and code completion capabilities of Zend. Now to get my manager to buy me
    the full copy :) Now, if only I could find out how to tell it that it
    doesn't need DB.php in the project, but to reference it as an external
    library! (Where DB.php is the PEAR code.)
    Duncan Hill Guest

  4. #4

    Default fileowner function and Windows OS

    Hello list,

    I try to use fileower function on php 4.3.2 + Apache 2.047+ Xp pro system.
    this function doesn't seem to work : for each existing files, function
    always returns 0.
    doentation doesn't notice some bugs on Windows OS, and I would
    share your experience about your use on these OS.
    thanks in advance for yours answers
    best regards

    Ermelir
    Ermelir Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: fileowner function and Windows OS

    I use WINSyntax married with Dreamweaver MX. WINsyntax is free and superb I
    recommend that you have a quick look at before you look any where else!

    "ermelir" <ermelirifrance.com> wrote in message
    > Hello list,
    >
    > I try to use fileower function on php 4.3.2 + Apache 2.047+ Xp pro system.
    > this function doesn't seem to work : for each existing files, function
    > always returns 0.
    > doentation doesn't notice some bugs on Windows OS, and I would
    > share your experience about your use on these OS.
    > thanks in advance for yours answers
    > best regards
    >
    > Ermelir
    >
    > --

    Simon Thurtle Guest

  6. #6

    I'm a big fan of ActiveState Komodo, largely because it handles PHP, Perl, Python, and others. While most of my work is done in PHP, it's nice not having to switch editors when trying to port code to or from another language.

    I must agree with Ryan that there is no 1 app to use. Dreamweaver MX is a staple in anyone's software library, especially for visual development, and Zend Studio is another great app. However, what I like about either, you may not so you'll really just have to try out the numerous demos and find what works for you.

    Edward Dudlik
    Becoming Digital
    [url]www.becomingdigital.com[/url]

    wishes | [url]www.amazon.com/o/registry/EGDXEBBWTYUU[/url]

    Personally I dont think any 1 is good for all purposes...I use a combination
    of Dreamweaver MX, Zend and PHPEdit.

    HTH.
    Cheers,
    -Ryan

    We will slaughter you all! - The Iraqi (Dis)information ministers site
    http://MrSahaf.com

    Please suggest me a good PHP editor like ( Microsoft's Interdev for ASP) to
    write my php programs/scripts and get a visual feel.

    Thanks
    Binay

    Becoming Digital Guest

  7. #7

    I prefer PHPEd way of integration with CVS and phped support for
    debugging and profiling.

    Have you ever tried to do anything serious with Zend IDE ? Anything
    that exceed childish script (1000+ lines) will hang Zend IDe for
    seconds when you type any one symbols... That's fun...

    I love phped with its viper speed.
    JVlad Guest

  8. #8

    on Monday, September 22, 2003 1:58 AM said:
    > Please suggest me a good PHP editor like ( Microsoft's Interdev for
    > ASP) to write my php programs/scripts and get a visual feel.
    Doesn't fit in the "visual feel" category but I really like HTML-Kit
    available at [url]www.chami.com[/url].

    Chris.
    Chris W. Parker Guest

  9. #9

    PHP eclipse is also nice, you need eclipse from [url]http://www.eclipse.org[/url]
    and then you install the PHP Eclipse module
    [url]http://phpeclipse.sourceforge.net[/url]. Very easy to install, I am a big fan
    of Komodo, I also like Vim, Kate and Eclipse. I tried Zend Studio 1 and
    2 but it didn't live up to the expectations that I had for the price.

    Becoming Digital wrote:
    >I'm a big fan of ActiveState Komodo, largely because it handles PHP, Perl, Python, and others. While most of my work is done in PHP, it's nice not having to switch editors when trying to port code to or from another language.
    >
    >I must agree with Ryan that there is no 1 app to use. Dreamweaver MX is a staple in anyone's software library, especially for visual development, and Zend Studio is another great app. However, what I like about either, you may not so you'll really just have to try out the numerous demos and find what works for you.
    >
    >Edward Dudlik
    >Becoming Digital
    >[url]www.becomingdigital.com[/url]
    >

    >wishes | [url]www.amazon.com/o/registry/EGDXEBBWTYUU[/url]

    Jason Sheets Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:08, [email]NukedWebaol.com[/email] wrote:
    > Best PHP Editor on the market: called "Notepad". Written by a tiny little
    > software dev company called Microsoft. Very nicely written, compared to the rest
    > of their software.
    Naaaah, a slightly larger company named Microsoft Inc. created an editor
    called wordpad that doesn't bugger the doent with \r, or is it, it
    can read the doent properly when \r doesn't exist? *shrug* I use joe
    -- joe, yeah that's right, one more time JOE >:) It's got really cool
    features, like no auto completion, no colour, no graphics. best of all
    it runs in a terminal such as Eterm or aterm which can be semi
    transparent so I can see my cool background showing through. What more
    could you ask for?

    Cheers,
    Rob.
    --
    ..------------------------------------------------------------.
    | InterJinn Application Framework - [url]http://www.interjinn.com[/url] |

  11. #11

    > Best PHP Editor on the market: called "Notepad". Written by a tiny little
    > software dev company called Microsoft. Very nicely written, compared to the rest
    > of their software.
    You must either be insane, a genius, or joking. I couldn't imagine
    writing code without context sensitive highlighting -- there are so many
    bugs that would be overlooked. And not being able to use M-g to goto a
    line number? (I use Emacs) I'd go bonkers.

    Look at GNU Emacs. It's got a large learning curve, but once you learn
    it it's worth it. E-mail me if you want how-to instructions on setting
    it up.

    -Dan
    Dan Anderson Guest

  12. #12

    >You must either be insane, a genius, or joking.
    Some of the most gifted people in the world are all three! Not that I'm
    claiming to be one, but yes I'm all three. :-D
    > I couldn't imagine writing code without context sensitive highlighting --
    there are so many bugs that would be overlooked. - Huh? What's that? Context
    hightlighting? Like built-in colorful magic markers? Ehh. Bugs can NEVER go
    overlooked as long as PHP's p-errors are always right there to rub it in that
    we fudged up... ;) I swear...all PHP error msgs should end with "....you
    loser!" :-D
    > And not being able to use M-g to goto aline number? (I use Emacs) I'd go
    bonkers.
    Notepad as well. ctrl+G -- only found out about that a year into
    PHP....dammit. coulda really used it when I was learning...beat the hell outta using the
    down arrow and counting in my head!

    Hope ya don't think I'm tryin to poke fun Dan. I meant well ;) Quite frankly
    I dont think I'd ever learn an "editor", I've used Notepad so long, it's like
    an 85 year old man learning how to use a DVD player. ;)

    NukedWeb@aol.com Guest

  13. #13

    The Best is the GTK verstion of the classic VI editor (latest VI 6.2 -
    uses GTK 2 on Linux) and there is also a Windows version.

    It's the best and you don't have to pay for licenses.
    [url]http://www.vim.org/index.php[/url]

    Notepad - is very poor. you can not controle tabs spaces, see white
    space and syntax color.

    [email]NukedWebaol.com[/email] wrote:
    >>You must either be insane, a genius, or joking.
    >
    > Some of the most gifted people in the world are all three! Not that I'm
    > claiming to be one, but yes I'm all three. :-D
    >

    >>I couldn't imagine writing code without context sensitive highlighting --
    >
    > there are so many bugs that would be overlooked. - Huh? What's that? Context
    > hightlighting? Like built-in colorful magic markers? Ehh. Bugs can NEVER go
    > overlooked as long as PHP's p-errors are always right there to rub it in that
    > we fudged up... ;) I swear...all PHP error msgs should end with "....you
    > loser!" :-D
    >

    >>And not being able to use M-g to goto aline number? (I use Emacs) I'd go
    >
    > bonkers.
    > Notepad as well. ctrl+G -- only found out about that a year into
    > PHP....dammit. coulda really used it when I was learning...beat the hell outta using the
    > down arrow and counting in my head!
    >
    > Hope ya don't think I'm tryin to poke fun Dan. I meant well ;) Quite frankly
    > I dont think I'd ever learn an "editor", I've used Notepad so long, it's like
    > an 85 year old man learning how to use a DVD player. ;)

    Gal Guest

  14. #14

    In you php.ini, set error_append_string to "... you loser!"

    On Monday 22 September 2003 07:56 pm, [email]NukedWebaol.com[/email] wrote:
    > >You must either be insane, a genius, or joking.
    >
    > Some of the most gifted people in the world are all three! Not that I'm
    > claiming to be one, but yes I'm all three. :-D
    >
    > > I couldn't imagine writing code without context sensitive highlighting --
    >
    > there are so many bugs that would be overlooked. - Huh? What's that?
    > Context hightlighting? Like built-in colorful magic markers? Ehh. Bugs can
    > NEVER go overlooked as long as PHP's p-errors are always right there to
    > rub it in that we fudged up... ;) I swear...all PHP error msgs should end
    > with "....you loser!" :-D
    >
    > > And not being able to use M-g to goto aline number? (I use Emacs) I'd
    > > go
    >
    > bonkers.
    > Notepad as well. ctrl+G -- only found out about that a year into
    > PHP....dammit. coulda really used it when I was learning...beat the hell
    > outta using the down arrow and counting in my head!
    >
    > Hope ya don't think I'm tryin to poke fun Dan. I meant well ;) Quite
    > frankly I dont think I'd ever learn an "editor", I've used Notepad so long,
    > it's like an 85 year old man learning how to use a DVD player. ;)
    --
    [cli]
    "To think is to differ."

    -Clarence Darrow
    Evan Nemerson Guest

  15. #15

    Default Re: RE: [PHP] PHP Editor - which to use?

    I like to use Edit Plus. [url]www.editplus.com[/url]

    It has the syntax highlighting for php, perl, java, and many others through modules that are downloadable from their web site, DOESNT change code like dreamweaver does and its cheap ($25).

    Jeff Pearson

    > well, i like to use dreamweaver mx or textpad with the syntax highlighting
    > file you additionally have to download. i dunno if there are special "php-
    > must-have-editors".
    > grtz
    > jan

    Jeffrey Pearson Guest

  16. #16

    I like NoteTab from [url]www.notetab.com[/url]

    It doesn't do syntax highlighting, but if you need that, then you need to
    learn to code better.

    And best of all, there is a free version that does most everything the full
    priced copy does.

    Plus, one added feature is, is that it will allow you to do internal
    scripting.

    Jim Lucas

    > It has the syntax highlighting for php, perl, java, and many others
    through modules that are downloadable from their web site, DOESNT change
    code like dreamweaver does and its cheap ($25).

    > Jeff Pearson

    Jim Lucas Guest

  17. #17

    Jim Lucas <mailto:phplistzonedzero.net>
    on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 9:56 AM said:
    > Plus, one added feature is, is that it will allow you to do internal
    > scripting.
    What are you able to do with "internal scripting"?

    chris.
    Chris W. Parker Guest

  18. #18

    [snip]
    > It doesn't do syntax highlighting, but if you need that, then you need
    > learn to code better.
    Does that mean php shouldn't have any error reporting whatsoever,
    because it
    encourages bad incompetent coders who rely on being mollycoddled?
    [/snip]

    Mollycoddled indeed! I remember when I had to punch holes in cards. Talk
    about syntax highlighting!

    He should have said "It doesn't do syntax highlighting, but if you need
    that, then you need to learn to type better."

    No wonder hanging chads are lost on some.
    Jay Blanchard Guest

  19. #19

    > It doesn't do syntax highlighting, but if you need that, then you need to
    > learn to code better.
    O holy genius coder, we bow to you, forgive us....why did we take the
    straight and easy path instead of the rough and true path.......

    -Ryan
    Ryan A Guest

  20. #20

    Ryan A <mailto:ryancoinpass.com>
    on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:10 AM said:
    > O holy genius coder, we bow to you, forgive us....why did we take the
    > straight and easy path instead of the rough and true path.......
    Because we are not ereet.
    Chris W. Parker Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast