Professional Web Applications Themes

PHP Smart Card API? - PHP Development

Is it possible to do Smart Card authentication with PHP? How to make PHP application that utilize Smart Card authentication?...

  1. #1

    Default PHP Smart Card API?

    drazen.karacic@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: PHP Smart Card API?

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com wrote:

    Well, what, specifically, are you trying to authenticate? Smart cards
    plug into a _local_ reader, no? The reader would have to transmit that
    information to any remote system and so remote system would have to
    trust the local system.

    What would have to run on the local system to read the smart card? What
    API would it use that php could call or use on the local machine? Since
    php runs on the remote server, it's a problem.

    If you're on a corporate network, this isn't so much a problem--all
    clients could have the smart card software that the server could contact
    remotely.

    If you're using a station in a CyberCafe or public library, I would tend
    to doubt this is possible.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    > Well, what, specifically, are you trying to authenticate? Smart cards

    Ok. Sorry, I didn't give enough information....

    I'd like to make web based application, where clients would be
    authenticated on a remote server via smart card reader with drivers and
    certificates installed on client computer.

    So, on a client side we have card reader, smart card and valid
    certificate published by my cert server. Celint should point to a web
    page and should be verified as certified user.

    So, the question is: what has to be on the server side of the story?
    How could I validate user? I guess I have to have certification server
    (what, where, how), API to communicate between PHP and certification
    server, ... I'd like to know how is the authentiucation handled by
    itself?!

    This is very common for Internet banking applications (mainly in .NET
    and Java), so let's say that I have to make authetication in that way
    using PHP...

    Tnx

    drazen.karacic@gmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    com wrote:

    > Ok. Sorry, I didn't give enough information....
    >
    > I'd like to make web based application, where clients would be
    > authenticated on a remote server via smart card reader with drivers and
    > certificates installed on client computer.
    >
    > So, on a client side we have card reader, smart card and valid
    > certificate published by my cert server. Celint should point to a web
    > page and should be verified as certified user.
    >
    > So, the question is: what has to be on the server side of the story?
    > How could I validate user? I guess I have to have certification server
    > (what, where, how), API to communicate between PHP and certification
    > server, ... I'd like to know how is the authentiucation handled by
    > itself?!
    >
    > This is very common for Internet banking applications (mainly in .NET
    > and Java), so let's say that I have to make authetication in that way
    > using PHP...
    >
    > Tnx[/ref]

    From my picture of this technology, it's dependent on the vendor who
    supplies the smart card hardware and software for the client and the
    remote authentication software. The authentication is totally dependent
    on the client communicating to the remote authentication server. Since
    this occurs on the client, I don't see how this could be done with php
    at all--it's strictly server side.

    Are you asking if there's a php-version of this software or if it can be
    done with php? Again, I think php is the wrong technology to do this as
    it's server or remote-side only. Java, however, can run a client/server
    model and do this with no problem.

    Rethink your requirement to use php. I doubt you'll get this type of
    application to work with it.

    Michael Guest