Professional Web Applications Themes

php - What a Let-Down - PHP Development

After seeing all the references to "PAM", MySql, Apache, I decided to give it a try: MySql - Great database, downloaded the binary for Solaris 10 from the site, installed it and was building databases in just a few minutes. Apache - Super, got the (already installed with Solaris 10) 2.0 server up and running without too much difficulty, no downloads involved, just a few configuration changes. PHP - What a LET-DOWN! I downloaded the compiled php5.0.4 from sunfreeware.dom and had it up and running, again without too many problems UNTIL I tried to access MySQL via php. It turns ...

  1. #1

    Default php - What a Let-Down

    After seeing all the references to "PAM", MySql, Apache, I decided to give
    it a try:
    MySql - Great database, downloaded the binary for Solaris 10 from the
    site, installed it and was building databases in just a few minutes.
    Apache - Super, got the (already installed with Solaris 10) 2.0 server
    up and running without too much difficulty, no downloads involved, just a
    few configuration changes.
    PHP - What a LET-DOWN! I downloaded the compiled php5.0.4 from
    sunfreeware.dom and had it up and running, again without too many problems
    UNTIL I tried to access MySQL via php. It turns out that unless you are a
    complete computer Geek with all of the C, C++, gcc (and half the acronyms in
    the alphabet) software and programmer skills, FORGET IT.

    Even with the compiled binary from sunfreeware, php5+ can't access any
    database that's available to an "average" user without re-compiling (AND the
    database MUST be on the local machine to do that). Opps! I take that back,
    if you get the Window$ binary, it appears to be as simple as un-commenting a
    line or two in a configuration ini file. How come you guys are making the
    Windows version easier to use than the Unix/Linux version?

    Looks like I'm going to have to try ODBC (or 'shiver, shiver' JAVA)!

    Just a thought for all you geeks - Wonder how much money Bill Gates would
    make from a program like this?
    (Hint-Hint I don't think even he would try to market a dog like this without
    putting something together that could be installed and used "out of the
    box").

    You people need to get your head out of the clouds and start putting
    something together that can be USED!

    Wonder if I'll get any responses to this one, I sure didn't when I looked
    for some help earlier!

    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: php - What a Let-Down

    In article <com>,
    "Steve Welch" <net> wrote:

    Yep. To use PHP, you have to know how to program. No GUI, just a bunch
    of text files.

    Reload XP onto your PC and don't bother with Solaris. You're wasting
    your time.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Steve Welch wrote:

    Maybe it's your attitude.

    I'm not a programmer. I had a LAMP platform up and running in an hour, with
    the PHP scripts logging on to a MySQL server running on a different machine
    on our home network. The failing here is yours, not PHP's.

    You might want to invest in some basic books if you're that clueless.
    However, if you're so incapable of even the most basic scripting (which is
    all that's needed to connect to and use MySQL) then you should probably
    give up now.

    Phil Guest

  4. #4

    "Steve Welch" <net> kirjoitti
    viestissä:com...

    As if making a jsp server would be any easier. I tried that once at school
    when we were studying setting up the tomcat system to run java and jsp. That
    was no different from building a php server. And we never even got to
    working with databases...

    Well, for people who are all thumbs, theres always Microsoft with IIS +
    MSSQL + ASP. Is it better combination, that I can't tell but from my
    experience no. It's just easier to set up. For a WAMP
    (Windows+Apache+MySQL+PHP) there are installation packages that make
    creating a working server not so painful and difficult.

    As for your problem... MySQL support has been nuilt-in in php for some time
    now, one should not need to configure it separately.

    The thing is that when you are working with Solaris, you do realize that you
    are in a tiny tiny minority. Most people have Linux boxes, or the ones
    who've sold their soul to old Bill, Windows systems. Solaris is not the most
    popular pick, and asking help for it may not produce as many usefull
    comments as asking about a Linux server would.

    I sincerelly hope that you do not abandon php just because installing it
    doesn't work like a charm. Surely you have a good point, when you say that
    configuring the system should be easy. But once you've gotten the pieces
    together, it'll be easy from that point on...

    --
    SETI Home - Donate your cpu's idle time to science.
    Further reading at <http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/>

    Kimmo Guest

  5. #5

    Steve,
    Personal experience has taught me that by making something so easy to
    use that just about anybody can use it not only detracts from the power
    it could have, but also breeds errors and security holes. I have been a
    Windows programmer for many years and after making my move to the
    unix/linux world, I have been first amazed at how stable and robust the
    environment and applications are, then so humbled by the truly expert
    environment it is.

    I can relate to your frustration, but if you stop comparing this new
    world with the old windows world, you will be able to focus more on the
    task at hand - learning a new, and awesome environment. I'm sorry I
    can't offer any helpful advice - I'm still learning this stuff - other
    than, don't give up. With so many incredible php sites out there, it's
    obvious it can be USED.

    Just a side note: Bill constantly markets dogs, they just install really
    easily. I'd much rather have a little diffculty up front ( which I have
    found has always been due to my own loack of understanding ) and have a
    stable and robust product.

    Tom

    ng Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    "Steve Welch" <net> wrote:

    Compiling Apache/PHP & MySQL or PostgreSQL is bersome, but it's not
    rocket science--especially after you do it a few times. Do a google
    search for compiling Apache and PHP. The answers will be at your
    fingertips.

    The nice thing about PHP is that it encourages code resusability. I have
    coded routines for DB connectivity, directory reading, image display and
    even security.

    RK
    Nomicon Guest

  7. #7

    "Steve Welch" <net> wrote in message

    I use PHP all the time, with IIS & Apache on XP, on Linux boxes, with MSSQL
    and with MySQL - no problems.

    Tony Guest